Sunline Defier D Braid

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Sunline Defier D Braid

Post by godshippy » Wed May 04, 2022 11:47 am

You might just want to give it a try. The guys at the Hook Up use this on all their spinning reels and love it.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Thu May 05, 2022 7:50 am

Disclaimer: D-braid was designed “exclusively for spinning reel” and as such that’s entirely how I’ve used it.

Been fishing it quite a bit in the 0.5, 0.6, and 1.2 sizes (7, 9, and 15# JDM rated). Love the line and the way it fishes but the pink color does fade very fast. If you’re hung up on maintaining the color long term I’d look elsewhere. 0.5 is very very fine and borderline for durability and hard casting, I wouldn’t recommend that size to many people. Even on my finesse setups it’s just thinner than I like and you have to be very highly competent to tie a FG knot properly with it. The 0.6 is a really great handling line, crosses the threshold of not being so thin that it’s overly delicate, and if you want a laser-thin braid that handles amazing it’s the size I’d recommend. 0.6 is my favorite to fish for sure and ties a FG knot well. The 1.2 is pretty conventional size wise, compares more to a USDM 10# braid and fishes nice also but with the added durability from the thread diameter/bulk beefing up. If someone wants to try it but in a size they’re probably used to fishing (10-15# braid) then I feel like the 1.2 size is the one to get. The 1.2 size is pretty bubba-proof.

I don’t see much of a sink rate difference but the structure of the line I do feel like handles quite a bit “better” for what it’s designed to do. If you compare the super flexible limpness of traditional braids to the Defier D-braid or Fireline (it’s all “Ultra 8” now) the three types do have their own unique properties for sure.

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Sat May 07, 2022 9:35 am

Cranky wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 7:50 am
Disclaimer: D-braid was designed “exclusively for spinning reel” and as such that’s entirely how I’ve used it.

Been fishing it quite a bit in the 0.5, 0.6, and 1.2 sizes (7, 9, and 15# JDM rated). Love the line and the way it fishes but the pink color does fade very fast. If you’re hung up on maintaining the color long term I’d look elsewhere. 0.5 is very very fine and borderline for durability and hard casting, I wouldn’t recommend that size to many people. Even on my finesse setups it’s just thinner than I like and you have to be very highly competent to tie a FG knot properly with it. The 0.6 is a really great handling line, crosses the threshold of not being so thin that it’s overly delicate, and if you want a laser-thin braid that handles amazing it’s the size I’d recommend. 0.6 is my favorite to fish for sure and ties a FG knot well. The 1.2 is pretty conventional size wise, compares more to a USDM 10# braid and fishes nice also but with the added durability from the thread diameter/bulk beefing up. If someone wants to try it but in a size they’re probably used to fishing (10-15# braid) then I feel like the 1.2 size is the one to get. The 1.2 size is pretty bubba-proof.

I don’t see much of a sink rate difference but the structure of the line I do feel like handles quite a bit “better” for what it’s designed to do. If you compare the super flexible limpness of traditional braids to the Defier D-braid or Fireline (it’s all “Ultra 8” now) the three types do have their own unique properties for sure.
Haven't used this braid, but have heard good things...been having to much fun with the YGK and Varivas options. The points you've made regarding general line handling are huge to those that have not had much experience with the thinner JDM braid offerings. These lighter PE sizes definitely put a little more emphasis on knots and handling.

...And...I wanted to state what I think is an obvious observation...
Cranky, you sir are such an incredible resource for these forums. Your posts are some of the most well written informative I've read over the many years.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Mon May 09, 2022 9:03 am

i have been running 13lb on one of my rods, the one i have used most so far this season, a 6'10" MLXF legend elite with a 2015 exist 2505 on it, and so far i love the line. handles and casts great, i did have 1 know early on and it the line broke while trying to get the knot out, but other than that i havent had any issues. the color does fade, after about a month of use its a light pink color, but most braids fade. it seems very similar handling and diameter to seaguar smakdown (my go to braid on spinning rods, i have been using it for 2-3 years and love it, ususally 15lb grey) i wouldnt hesitate to buy more D-Braid, good stuff IMO.

bobmatsuoka
Angler
Angler

Post by bobmatsuoka » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:31 am

vncnt wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:02 pm
I have a spool I haven’t put on my reel yet. When ygk ss112 come back in stock, I’ll compare the two side by side on my finesse setups.
Did you get any luck on getring SS112? I need 10 and 14 pound.