Line conditioner?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Line conditioner?

Post by vncnt » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:57 pm

Anyone using line conditioner like reelsnot, braid aid or the kvd line conditioner? Any real benefits or issues using these products?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Line conditioner?

Post by Drakestar » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:22 am

It definitely helps a bit with casting distance. It’s a pain to apply regularly, though, you need to refresh every other trip at least. Been using Braid Aid myself.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:14 am

I like it for fluoro and higher pound tests in copoly. It helps with line management for me.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:27 pm

I use it in freshly spooled fluoro for the 1st two trips. It definitely helps tame the line. I'll saturate the fresh line liberally before the 1st cast. After the 1st cast, I'll hit it again to get the line underneath. Imo, the KVD product seems to work best. Works with mono too.

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:54 pm

Nice. Thanks for the feedback

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:56 pm

I use to use it. I found that any line when treated with a line conditioner only works to weaken the line tensile strength.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:39 pm

I have used KVD Line and Lure Conditioner for at least twelve years with mono, fluoro and braid. The conditioner has "tamed" all lines and extended the life of each type of line extensively with no adverse effect.

An example is my main cranking reel (OG Conquest 101DC), which was spooled with braid in 2011. That braid is still functional, never had any break-offs, used a minimum of 2-8 times per month for both "fun" and tournament fishing. Yep, used for ten (10) years and not yet a candidate for replacement.

Before transitioning to braid exclusively in 2016, I was successfully using fluoro that was purchased 2009-2012.

The only time have replaced line, in the last twelve years, is when evaluating a new brand. A significant reason for my experience with line longevity is regular use of KVD line conditioner.

Regards,
Doc

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:13 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:56 pm
I use to use it. I found that any line when treated with a line conditioner only works to weaken the line tensile strength.
How significant was the weakening you experienced?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:52 am

vncnt wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:13 pm
slipperybob wrote:
It's been years but at the time I had the big can of Reel Magic and big bottle of KVD Line and Lure.

I did the treat the line overnight before I went fishing and treat it right before fishing.

I used Reel Magic. I saw from like minimum 10% overnight and around 35% after a week and more than 50% after a month on most copolymers line. I was able to hand break 80# braid with my hands surprisingly on a line I left untouched for like a few months. These were fresh lines, barely even fished. When I suspected it and went to crudely line test on the fish scale, I was able to confirm it with line before treatment and after treatment. Also bad move by me using it on other things only to find out plastics were peeling and discoloring off. Every line treated with Reel Magic needs to be replaced.

KVD, I used it for my ice fishing on Gamma High Performance 4# which usually breaks at a high 7#. After ice fishing it was breaking at below 4# strength. This was overnight treatment and left to dry on reel. In part I think the biggest influence is cold or freezing temps as I do fish early spring or late fall into the freezing air temps. Even with temps in the 40s F sometimes ice crystals still forms due to air flow. Tried it on other lines too. Cold weather tends to make lines more coily and stiff and KVD only made the lines weaker. Did my crude copoly line tests and also saw slightly weaker lines overnight to as much as 25% lost after a month. Fireline 6# that was breaking on me at about 8# on the knot was now breaking at 6# on the knot. With KVD, It seems like I needed to reapply in the midst of fishing. The slick line feel was great at the beginning.

After two years of using these products...it's a no for me.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:45 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:52 am
vncnt wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:13 pm
slipperybob wrote:
It's been years but at the time I had the big can of Reel Magic and big bottle of KVD Line and Lure.

I did the treat the line overnight before I went fishing and treat it right before fishing.

I used Reel Magic. I saw from like minimum 10% overnight and around 35% after a week and more than 50% after a month on most copolymers line. I was able to hand break 80# braid with my hands surprisingly on a line I left untouched for like a few months. These were fresh lines, barely even fished. When I suspected it and went to crudely line test on the fish scale, I was able to confirm it with line before treatment and after treatment. Also bad move by me using it on other things only to find out plastics were peeling and discoloring off. Every line treated with Reel Magic needs to be replaced.

KVD, I used it for my ice fishing on Gamma High Performance 4# which usually breaks at a high 7#. After ice fishing it was breaking at below 4# strength. This was overnight treatment and left to dry on reel. In part I think the biggest influence is cold or freezing temps as I do fish early spring or late fall into the freezing air temps. Even with temps in the 40s F sometimes ice crystals still forms due to air flow. Tried it on other lines too. Cold weather tends to make lines more coily and stiff and KVD only made the lines weaker. Did my crude copoly line tests and also saw slightly weaker lines overnight to as much as 25% lost after a month. Fireline 6# that was breaking on me at about 8# on the knot was now breaking at 6# on the knot. With KVD, It seems like I needed to reapply in the midst of fishing. The slick line feel was great at the beginning.

After two years of using these products...it's a no for me.
Thanks for the info.

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:52 am

I use KVD. The biggest noticable difference is on brand new flurocarbon line 15lb and up or anything other cheaper more stiff flurocarbon.

Im always careful of bombing my first cast fishing a newly spooled with fluro combo but I found with line conditioner sprayed on the day before that was no longer an issue.
Long live the Jerkbait