Flourocarbon on Spinning reel

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Flourocarbon on Spinning reel

Post by jprice92 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:36 pm

What flourocarbon do you guys run in your spinning reels? I’ve never like braid and want to run straight flouro, I have Daiwa luvias airity and spooled up 8lb tatsu and got terrible memory knots even after applying line conditioner the night before and the morning of fishing. I pulled off the knotted line and was hoping it was just over filled, I reapplied more line conditioner and still got another bad knot.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Flourocarbon on Spinning reel

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:25 pm

jprice92 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:36 pm
What flourocarbon do you guys run in your spinning reels? I’ve never like braid and want to run straight flouro, I have Daiwa luvias airity and spooled up 8lb tatsu and got terrible memory knots even after applying line conditioner the night before and the morning of fishing. I pulled off the knotted line and was hoping it was just over filled, I reapplied more line conditioner and still got another bad knot.
I dislike straight fluorocarbon on spinning reels for the very reasons you encountered. If you’re casting to make horizontal presentations you should probably run below 8# with 8 being near the high end limit in my experience. It’s going to depend on the rod also. With a vertical presentation, it’s less of an issue. But memory and tangles as those loops try to get through the smaller guides will happen. I’d suggest avoiding it altogether and going braid to a fluorocarbon leader. You’re stress free then.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:30 pm

You don't say what size your reel is. But if that happened with Tatsu then your test rating is probably too high. It's not the line. My guess is you're holding a 1000 series spinner. If so, you should be able to get away with 6lb test but that's about it. There are very few better handling fluoro out there and conditioners help little at best. But you can help yourself by walking it out. Then run it through your fingers (gently) as you reel back in. This redistributes line lay effectively mimicking the cast coil. If you stay on top of it you'll never have a knot again. And if this isn't the problem then use a swivel because the only other thing it can be is your lure twisting your line. Tatsu as a product is not to blame.
PEACE

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:44 pm

It also matters how the line is spooled onto the reel... was it using a line winder or did you string the line through a rod and just wind it on using the reel? If the latter, that could be the reason behind your difficulties as the line is being twisted onto the spool.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:00 pm

Cal wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:44 pm
It also matters how the line is spooled onto the reel... was it using a line winder or did you string the line through a rod and just wind it on using the reel? If the latter, that could be the reason behind your difficulties as the line is being twisted onto the spool.
I never had a problem with flouro/spinning through the guides. I use Sunline Sniper, 7 lb - 10 lb test. One thing I always do is under-fill line on the spool by about 3-5 yards. I also always flip the bail manually after the cast.
You have to remember, fishing is a balance between art and science, your personal experience is the fulcrum.
Good luck!

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:11 am

Thanks guys, I have 2500 size reel so I don’t think it was the line diameter but I did just run it through the guides to spool so maybe that was the issue. I run tatsu on all my baitcasters and it’s done great so I was surprised I was having problems with it.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:39 am

Johnny A wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:00 pm
I never had a problem with flouro/spinning through the guides. I use Sunline Sniper, 7 lb - 10 lb test. One thing I always do is under-fill line on the spool by about 3-5 yards. I also always flip the bail manually after the cast.
You have to remember, fishing is a balance between art and science, your personal experience is the fulcrum.
Good luck!
Well stated! I've used straight FC on spinning have for a long time. Sunline Sniper in 7 to 10# has been my staple for years, now I use a lot of the Daiwa J-Fluoro Samurai in 8 to 10#. I do use a line winding station to spool everything up, and like you, I manually close my bail every time and don't over fill. Your point about a slight under fill is also a good one, I do the same.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:38 am

Sometimes you need to bomb a cast just to clear the line and crank back to re-seat the line onto the spool. Depends on the actual reel as some needs like to clear every 10 casts, while others may need like only once every 100 casts or so. You get a feel for your reel as you start to see gnarly line lay or a spike in the cast where it seems like line flare or fluff out feeling that's off from a smooth flow.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:25 am

slipperybob wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:38 am
Sometimes you need to bomb a cast just to clear the line and crank back to re-seat the line onto the spool. Depends on the actual reel as some needs like to clear every 10 casts, while others may need like only once every 100 casts or so. You get a feel for your reel as you start to see gnarly line lay or a spike in the cast where it seems like line flare or fluff out feeling that's off from a smooth flow.
Exactamundo!

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:18 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:38 am
Even better solution if you're a boater - run about 30 to 50 yards of line with absolutely nothing tied on behind the boat at a fast trolling speed (it will be a lot more pressure on the rod than you think) and leave it out there for 5 minutes. Then reel it back in. All twists will be gone.
www.FlyFishOhio.com - Fly Fishing And More!

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:24 pm

jprice92 wrote:
i've got a kage lt 2500, and seem to have problems with line twist on it. i tried 8# tatsu and was pretty underwhelmed with it. i've even bought 1 of those goofy piscifun line spooling stations, not sure if it helped much.

i used to use a sol 2000 with vicious pro elite 8#, and never had problems. i'm not sure if it's something with the lt reels, or maybe smaller guides on the rod i'm using now. i'm gonna probably bump up to a 4000 size.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:52 pm

Jason Penn wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:24 pm
jprice92 wrote:
i've got a kage lt 2500, and seem to have problems with line twist on it. i tried 8# tatsu and was pretty underwhelmed with it. i've even bought 1 of those goofy piscifun line spooling stations, not sure if it helped much.

i used to use a sol 2000 with vicious pro elite 8#, and never had problems. i'm not sure if it's something with the lt reels, or maybe smaller guides on the rod i'm using now. i'm gonna probably bump up to a 4000 size.
Yeah I’m not sure what the deal is, I’ve used 4-6 lb tatsu on my old 500 size shimano spinning reel for trout fishing and never had any issues. I also just bought a line spooler and hoping it helps but I’m not convinced it will.

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:12 am

I am running 10lb Daiwa Samurai on my 2500 Vanford. Was pretty bad to start out with even spraying line conditioner the night before. My casting distance with terrible with a 1/8oz dropshot. I think it helps if you stretch it a bit before use. I tied on a 1/2oz jerkbait, casted it as far as I could and fished it for a bit. Really helps with the memory for a while I guess..
Long live the Jerkbait

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:50 pm

There is a noticeable casting distance difference with fluorocarbon lines vs others on spinning reels. In part I think it has more to do with the line weight. Where I normally think I can hit a distance on other lines, I always come up short with fluorocarbon. There is also the advantage that it is less likely to be carried off by wind so your casting distance and accuracy will moderately be better in windy conditions.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:34 pm

Cal wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:44 pm
And Daiwa recommends to make sure the line comes off the bottom of the spool
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon