Floating braid?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Floating braid?

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:16 pm

Here in PNW where we do a lot of float fishing for steel head and salmon having a good floating line is paramount to ease of a good presentation. I have tried several in my limited experience with mixed results-

Nanofil is great but gets fuzzy if you look at or contact anything abrasive
Powerpro is ok but seems to become water logged
832 tip wraps to easily and I fear am always a tip wrap at the bank away from having a big fish snap a rod.
Best I have used is the Fireline Ultra 8 but always looking for something new

Anyone found a newer floating line with great durability, not prone to wrap and still have great floating ability?
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Floating braid?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:35 pm

Try Berkley X9. It seems to float well when throwing small poppers.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:15 pm

I don’t think it’s as durable as Ultra 8 Carrier, but Sunline Asgai Xplasma freezes a bit less than Ultra 8. Might float a little better. Definitely tip wraps/wind knots more. They don’t make high vis green in 30lb+.

Biggest thing for me is less freezing here in the GL’s. Not as important for you in the PNW, though.

Is Ultra 8 Carrier Fireline really being discontinued already?

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:44 pm

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:15 pm
I don’t think it’s as durable as Ultra 8 Carrier, but Sunline Asgai Xplasma freezes a bit less than Ultra 8. Might float a little better. Definitely tip wraps/wind knots more. They don’t make high vis green in 30lb+.

Biggest thing for me is less freezing here in the GL’s. Not as important for you in the PNW, though.

Is Ultra 8 Carrier Fireline really being discontinued already?
Well that sounds uninspiring! Any line prone to tip wrap is not worth trying- Have not heard of Ultra 8 going out and I hope that's not true.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:07 pm

There was a post in this forum a few threads down on the that mentioned the discontinuation of Ultra 8. I haven’t found much to corroborate it, yet.

Ultra 8 has had the least tip wrap of any domestic branded braid I’ve tried. Love it for that! Especially on spinning reels. Broken-in on baitcasters is great for me too. I struggled with fluoro/mono connections until I finally figured out the FG knot.

I’m not experienced in JDM braids to comment, unfortunately. If you find something you like, I’d be interested in trying it here too.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:45 pm

Fireline is really on the low end for popularity. Even the original Fireline Braid was very short lived only produced for like 2 or 3 years only. Was basically a six strand braid. Still have 15# on my Metanium D7 reels and my most used application is for top water lures on that.

Ultra 8 was basically in direct niche as X9. I still like the thermal fused Ultra 8, especially in lower #test like the 4#. Then again you have that Nanofil that's niched itself in the small diameter category there.

Considering this:
Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 carrier .12mm 4# knot break 8# 4 oz.
Berkley NanoFil 6# .13mm knot break 9# 14 oz.
Berkley NanoFil 4# .10mm knot break 7# 5 oz.
Berkley Fireline Crystal .06 mm 1# line break 3# 5 oz.
Berkley Fireline Crystal .08 mm 2#knot break 3# 9 oz.
Berkley Fireline Crystal .10 mm 3# line break 6# 4 oz.
Berkley Fireline Original .13 mm 4# knot break 6# 12 oz.

Softer braids on top water lures, tend to get tangled up. Less a hook point directly pierces the braid. The more stiff line like Fireline is less prone to that. That's why I still have Fireline Braid as long as it doesn't develop fluff. Although the best solution is to use a leader length of mono to prolong life.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:25 am

Still looking for a great floating line- Anyone have any input on newer braids?

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:40 pm

Hydrofloat is a floating braid I'm going to give a try this year

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:06 pm

I ordered Hydrofloat braid before investigating but have now found mostly negatives reviews on it so will be sending it back without trying. Also ordered Sunline Float II mono so will try it but it is a mono.......

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:32 am

I either use the new Fireline (formally Ultra 8 Carrier), or Sunline xPlasma Asegai for float fishing braid. I’m using Sufix Advance Mono greased up with silicone lube below freezing.

I was going to try Hitena Chromium Float (copoly/“mono”), but the factory in Japan burned down recently👎👎.