Line types…if you could only have one

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Line types…if you could only have one

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:36 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:51 pm
toddmc wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:59 am
Click bait post ](*,) Why? If I could only sleep with one super model, who would it be? :roll:
Not a fair analogy. People don't care THAT much about sex with a supermodel. 😂😜🤪
Plus.

You already use all easily attainable line types and have extensive experience with them. Pray tell, any super models you currently sleep with? 😘

Its Xmas. Indulge us 🤣

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:48 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:51 pm
toddmc wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:59 am
Click bait post ](*,) Why? If I could only sleep with one super model, who would it be? :roll:
Not a fair analogy. People don't care THAT much about sex with a supermodel. 😂😜🤪
I really dated myself with that one. Nobody even knows the supermodels anymore. :lol: Not to brag, but I ditched the hag of an ex-wife and ended up with a millionaire goddess, but she still takes a backseat to fishing 8-) . She does make me wear my ipods to talk to her while fishing sometimes though. I can only neglect her so much before she gets upset. She laughs her ass off when I say that I have a big one while I'm talking to her while fishing! :shock:

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:31 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:56 pm
jvelth74 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:42 am
Braid, but in freezing conditions braid can't be used. So if mono wouldn't allowed, fishing would be limited...
If I lived where that was a problem, I'd have to move, period. If moving was no option, I'd seriously contemplate ending it all.
There is good points of freezing winter in case of open water fishing, and main positive point is that there is not crowded. But this and last year winters has been that cold that it freezes waters and that I don't like.

Probably my last seatrout trips in this year:

It was really cold...

One month offseason is OK to me but now it seems it's going to be 3-4 momths :(

This season seems bad in my opinion. Now it is frozen on everywhere around Helsinki:
Vuosaari 7.1.2022.JPG
Vuosaari 7.1.2022.JPG (74.01 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
This season ended really too early in my opinion... :oops:

2020 season wasn't the best in length but still way better than this season:
Those photos were taken on 7.2.2020 in same spot that is highlighted on satellite picture above (and also same as video above is taken).

Winter is not bad in my opinion, but if it leads too long off-season for open water fishing, like it really looks like in this year, then it's bad. But ~1 month of off season is in my opinion a comfortable break to for example to maintenance gears and load batteries, and then with fresh eagerness for spring fishing.

And if winter don't make total offseason, then weather can be experience itself in open water fishing. This is foto from Vantaa River, taken on today:
Vantaa river 7.1.2022.JPG
Vantaa river 7.1.2022.JPG (60.3 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
Wish that I would have opportunity to fish there...

These were taken at Kemiönsaari on 5.2.2018:
That was really nice fishing trip, and weather really was an experience itself. And moreover to that, in frozen snow was really easy to walk. That time winters was decent in my opinion and open water fishing was on ~11 months in a year.

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:30 pm

Without a doubt braid for me! It can do everything and have much less chances of breaking off.

Junk Fisherman
Angler
Angler

Post by Junk Fisherman » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:56 pm

Braid w/a fluoro leader.

If that is cheating then straight fluoro. I have to have fluoro leader for my Great Lakes fishing.

JS8588
Angler
Angler

Post by JS8588 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:49 am

Only one type? Mono. It's all I used up until last year. If that's all I could use in perpetuity, I'd still catch fish.

Oktayne the Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Oktayne the Red » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:31 am

Old fart saltwater guy says mono. I don't think one could ever truly replace the other though. No way could I go back to mono for bottom fishing. Nor will I give up mono for topwater plugs, freelining baits, or sabiki rigs.

I'm STILL trying to get used to braid after decades. It's "harsh" to me, feels like I'm working the lure wrong or something. I've adopted the braid in a few places, but in many situations, if I can get away with mono (which we all did for years), I prefer to stick to it. It just feels "right".

Don't get me wrong. Conditions, techniques, different situations can call for diff lines. If I was to count, I figure a 1/4 of my reels have braid, the rest mono, and one flourocarbon (Sunline something-or-other, I'm REALLY new to the FC line thing). Bottom fishing is the biggie for me, that's all braid, whether it's snapper in 10 feet of water or deep drops. I'm sure there's other places I prefer mono where the rest of the world is fishing braid though. I HATE braid for working plugs. Not a fan of braid for UL fishing either unfortunately. I guess I'm stuck on the idea that mono's stretch is better than braid's strength for the UL stuff. That cushion isn't always a handicap.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:23 am

Oktayne the Red wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:31 am
Old fart saltwater guy says mono. I don't think one could ever truly replace the other though. No way could I go back to mono for bottom fishing. Nor will I give up mono for topwater plugs, freelining baits, or sabiki rigs.

I'm STILL trying to get used to braid after decades. It's "harsh" to me, feels like I'm working the lure wrong or something. I've adopted the braid in a few places, but in many situations, if I can get away with mono (which we all did for years), I prefer to stick to it. It just feels "right".

Don't get me wrong. Conditions, techniques, different situations can call for diff lines. If I was to count, I figure a 1/4 of my reels have braid, the rest mono, and one flourocarbon (Sunline something-or-other, I'm REALLY new to the FC line thing). Bottom fishing is the biggie for me, that's all braid, whether it's snapper in 10 feet of water or deep drops. I'm sure there's other places I prefer mono where the rest of the world is fishing braid though. I HATE braid for working plugs. Not a fan of braid for UL fishing either unfortunately. I guess I'm stuck on the idea that mono's stretch is better than braid's strength for the UL stuff. That cushion isn't always a handicap.
I generally agree with you, on every point, although I don't really "hate" braid for anything...
I end up with braid on most reels as it keeps for so long.
I dislike the need for more frequent line change with mono and FC.

Oktayne the Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Oktayne the Red » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:47 am

That's a good point about lifespan, definitely a pro on the braid side. Especially for me. I change mono a lot, I know I'm an over-changer. Not so much with braid cause it lasts longer. This introduces the cost factor. I imagine braid is less in the long run for the "light" stuff where I change mono every other trip, but don't ever change the braid. Not sure of the costs for heavier stuff. $200/$300 (more?) worth of braid on a deep drop reel is not something you can just change on a whim. Long life is good.

The hating braid for topwater or twitchy kind of baits is totally on me, I know this. I learned once how to work them, I should be able to learn again.