Good Mono???

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Good Mono???

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:02 am

Cal wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:47 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:23 am

Concerning Sunline mono, I keep seeing the Machinegun Cast I mentioned before on the JDM sites. They tout it as being pretty good stuff, but dang it is expensive.
Oh I forgot to address this.. for me MachineGun Cast performed fine until put in a situation where abrasion is introduced. This was years ago (like over 10) that I recall and then I just never used it again.

Regarding knot strength, that is one of the downfalls of fluorocarbon I forgot to mention and it is also highly dependent upon the actual knot you're tying. I don't recall the recommended knots. I stopped tying it because the palomar knot is just too ingrained in my fingers.

This is also why we endure the painstaking tasks of testing each line we write up. Not all lines, but especially fluorocarbons, are created equal with regards to stretch, abrasion, and knot strength.
The best claimed knots I see for fluorocarbon lines are more cinches than knots. A doubled uni knot (where you double the line and simply tie a uni) will leave you 3 tag ends and it works well. There are other variations like a Shaw Grigsby or Sand Diego jam, etc. I don't know if those are all correct names but there are a field of related knots that seem to go the same way and most are recommended over the Palomar for fluorocarbon.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:41 pm

I really like Toray Polyamide Plus and use it for pretty much everything.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:48 am

So after continuing research and building all my rods out, I have still decided to use my Zillion TWS 9.1 (with 7.3 gears) and Ray's shallow spool on a 6'6"Avid X Medium fast for top water. I keep going back and forth on line though after reviews. Diameter is something I am really checking, I would like it around the same diameter or smaller than 16lb FC Sniper (.33mm) max, that is about as thick as I want for casting smaller poppers and general use. These are the candidates and positives/negatives:

Sufix Advance Neon Lime, 10lb/330yards for $10.6, diameters: 10lb-.305mm/.012"(12lb is over at .356mm/.014")
+ Bright color, cheap, 330yards, from TW and I need to order anyways
- Not the best reviews, very thick line,

Sunline Shooter Defier Armilo, 13lb/165yards or 15lb/165yards for $19, diameters: 13lb-.30mm/.0118", 15lb-.32mm/.0126"
+ Good diameter for either test desired, fair price on JDM site & add to cart with new reel, decent reviews
- Not the best color, less line, higher price

Sunline Shooter Machinegun Cast, 14lb/150meters or 16lb/150meters for $12.2, diameters: 14lb-.310mm, 16lb-.330mm
+ Fair price on JDM,
- Few reviews, higher than others, must be ordered JDM, not sure on diameters-translated from JDM site and table provided

Maxima Chameleon, 10lb/220yards or 12lb/220yards for $15, diameters: 10lb-.30mm/.012", 12lb-.32mm/.013"
+ Decent mid price, some good reviews
- Not a lot of reviews at the same time

Sunline Super Natural Monofilament Orange, 14lb/660yards or 16lb/660yards for $17, diameters:14lb-.310mm/.012", 16lb-.330mm/.013"
+ Bright orange color available, cheap price for 660 yards
- Very mixed reviews

That is about all my choices, would gladly consider or even buy others, just not very educated on mono like I mentioned before. There was also a Sunline Siglon Float line made for top water but it had only bad reviews on TW and for the price it really scared me off. Color means a lot to me, just have always liked a line I can see, but mainly a tough, strong, reliable mono is what I need. Any input on these choices or additional suggestions are appreciated.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:00 pm

If you want manageability, Sufix Elite. It you want straight tough as nails, Sufix Siege. Both are great line for the price, but thick for their ratings. 8# Elite tested out at 12.2# breaking strength in a Field & Stream article. I think it is .010 diameter, iirc. So 8# would be a great option for your scenario imo.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:55 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:00 pm
If you want manageability, Sufix Elite. It you want straight tough as nails, Sufix Siege. Both are great line for the price, but thick for their ratings. 8# Elite tested out at 12.2# breaking strength in a Field & Stream article. I think it is .010 diameter, iirc. So 8# would be a great option for your scenario imo.
Have you tried the Sufix Advance Tim?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:53 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:55 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Have you tried the Sufix Advance Tim?
I have. Its very soft, but not very abrasion resistant. It's good for open water scenarios like dropshot over suspended fish. The softness helps cushion surges with the stretchiness, especially with light line. It has its place, but where I fish, it's a no-go. Way too many downed trees and stumps in the ponds I frequent.....beavers are the bane of my fishing experience.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:37 pm

I've used McCoy Mean Green for years. Use it for salmon, steelhead, bass,....everything. Low memory and pretty tough. Years ago, I had a salmon get tangled in some tree branches on the Sac. Got it out and line was still smooth. Very underrated line.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:40 pm

I'd cross off Maxima Chameleon--very abrasion resistant, but thicker than stated on box and too visible in open water.

I don't have an opinion on the others.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:52 pm

Bronzeye wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:40 pm
I'd cross off Maxima Chameleon--very abrasion resistant, but thicker than stated on box and too visible in open water.

I don't have an opinion on the others.
hoohoorjoo wrote:
darrin wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:37 pm
I've used McCoy Mean Green for years. Use it for salmon, steelhead, bass,....everything. Low memory and pretty tough. Years ago, I had a salmon get tangled in some tree branches on the Sac. Got it out and line was still smooth. Very underrated line.
Thanks for all the input. The Sunline Super Natural Orange or the Shooter Defier Armilo are my bets for now, leaning more toward the Super Natural. I was doing inventory on tackle earlier and keep my one spool of mono in the side of my 3600 topwater bag. The HiSeas Grand Slam Mono I was using was 15lb. It is rated at .016" or .40mm. That is ridiculously thick. I knew this stuff was questionably strong and WAY too springy, now I know why. I was having issues casting on the Zillion TWS with smaller poppers and this overly thick line was obviously the cause. Just makes me feel better about any of the other choices because this stuff is probably why I had a fear of mono. I also read about a specific topwater line that P-line makes. Seemed to have good reviews but I never heard anyone mention it outside of the ICAST show it was introduced. It is listed as a copolymer on TackleWarehouse, just like McCoy Mean Green and Maxima Ultragreen are.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:09 am

Gotta add PLine CXX in like diameters along with Yozuri Hybrid if Maxima Ultragreen is also in the conversation.

PLine Topwater line is much thinner than CXX per rating and has gotten very good reviews for said tech, and I'm sure would do well for others.

Izorline Platinum is also another strong, abrasion resistant line, as is Suffix XXX for a good all around supple and strong mono/copoly.

If you have the want to pay for and run Defier for all your treble hook presentations, it's a great line and lasts a long time on the spool, like any other line -keeping it covered from direct sunlight helps to lengthen its lifespan.

BTW, adding a line conditioner may or may not weaken the ultimate strength and consistency of the mono/copoly/fluoro...and causes most lines to being milky in color after it dries out. I stopped using it a while back as this was what I noticed personally.

Good luck.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:58 am

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:09 am
Gotta add PLine CXX in like diameters along with Yozuri Hybrid if Maxima Ultragreen is also in the conversation.

PLine Topwater line is much thinner than CXX per rating and has gotten very good reviews for said tech, and I'm sure would do well for others.

Izorline Platinum is also another strong, abrasion resistant line, as is Suffix XXX for a good all around supple and strong mono/copoly.

If you have the want to pay for and run Defier for all your treble hook presentations, it's a great line and lasts a long time on the spool, like any other line -keeping it covered from direct sunlight helps to lengthen its lifespan.

BTW, adding a line conditioner may or may not weaken the ultimate strength and consistency of the mono/copoly/fluoro...and causes most lines to being milky in color after it dries out. I stopped using it a while back as this was what I noticed personally.

Good luck.
I have noticed this milky color but not noticed it weakening the line. I should make a YouTube video on that. Spray one, use a new one, and let one soak then test strengths. Wouldn't matter the brand, I'd just use 12lb Sunline Sniper. I use Reel Magic, have not tried the KVD line and lure. I think it is silicone but I was still terrified to spray my fluoro on my new Conquest. Just so scared it would mess up my reel.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:13 pm

Kvd spray , is nothing more than 303 aerospace protectant , reel magic is just silicone spray.
Dale Hollow tangle free line dressing , is more like fly line dressing. I've been using it for years with no ill effect.
Pline cxx or Izorline XXX , is the real deal. Big Game is pretty soft.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:43 pm

Line conditioners will definitely soften and eat away your line strength. 4#, 6# test, get ready for obscure break offs. :big grin:

14#, 17# well you still got a lot of line strength in there.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:29 am

Maxima Ultragreen has never let me down, I use 15 lb as a Main line for A-Rigs, and larger Swimbaits and glide baits, it's the leader line on all my spinning setups, you'll be surprised how strong it is.

In fact My wife just went out yesterday with my Father in law and caught eight 20+ pound King Salmon off the Monterey coast using 12lb Maxima Ultragreen.

I use 5 lb for dropshotting, have caught multiple 5lb+ bass at Clearlake Ca on this size line.

6 lb for general finesse applications: Ned, splitshot/mojo, ball head grub/darter head etc.

And 8 lb for Shakyheads/wacky senkos etc.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:11 pm

Maxima Ultragreen is a relatively weak line for its true diameter, which I have found to be significantly greater than the claimed diameter in all strengths from 2 to 10 lbs. (I haven't bought it in higher strengths.) Being thicker than many other lines of its stated strength does give it two attributes which can be useful:
  • A line scrape going X microns deep in Ultragreen leaves a greater percentage of the original cross-sectional line volume than a scrape of that same depth in a thinner line of the same break strength, so the Ultragreen retains more of its original strength. I understand that Ultragreen also leaves the factory with a surface lubricant applied to the line, and that probably helps avoid some abrasion for at least a while.
  • It has more stretch to break point than many lines of the same pound test rating, because there is more material there to elongate.
I sometimes use Ultragreen as a leader on braid--say, if I am fishing abrasive cover with light braid and there is a high risk of losing lures to snags. (Example: casting lures to crappies near fallen trees.) That way, I can get good abrasion resistance while still using a leader that will break before the thin braid does. A situation where its stretch can be handy is when instead of netting or lip-landing fish, I will be lifting them with the rod and grabbing the leader while the fish flops in the air; some light lines with higher tensile strengths lack the stretch to absorb the flop stresses.

I don't spool reels with Ultragreen because of its thickness and stiffness, and in open water I prefer lines of greater strength for diameter even for leaders.