Good Mono???

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Good Mono???

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:04 am

I have only ever used fluorocarbon on casting reels other than a few times. Tried 30lb 832 on a 6'6"M topwater setup but it constantly dug in and got stuck during casts. I put a different spool in the reel with 15lb HiSeas mono but it is crazy thick and springy. Is there a good multipurpose mono that would excel at topwater but function for other purposes like small swimbaits or shakey heads? The rod is a 6'6"M Avid X and I currently use a Zillion TWS with Ray's spool on it. Normally in winter I run FC for jerkbaits, but I am getting tired of switching it and wondered if there is a good mono that would cover everything.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Good Mono???

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:42 am

I've been using 11lb Sunline Defier (original) with top water for years now. Didn't care for the Armillo when I tried it. Suffix makes some decent mono if you want something a little more affordable. I haven't found anything that can touch Defier in terms of manageability, ease and effort. Worth the cost to me.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:45 am

Forgot to mention - It also works great for moving baits, single and treble hook, but I wouldn't use it for bottom contact presentations. I use fluoro in those instances.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:00 am

I had been using Defier Armilo for treble hook baits but switched to Sufix Advance and have been really happy with it. It's runs slightly larger per diameter per lb rating but I just buy it based on diameter. I use 14lb for 17lb & 17lb instead of 20lb. It has shown excellent overall strength & knot strength. It is also low stretch & low memory. It has been our mono line of choice in Mexico & Florida for trophy bass for the last three years.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:14 pm

Suffix Advance here for full spools (buy by diameter as dhottle says, not by advertised strength), and Maxima for leaders.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:34 pm

Sufix Elite is hard to beat. It's tough, but manageable at the same time. Very good strength per diameter, too.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:22 am

Thanks for the replies. Just working my equipment up for the coming season. Conquest should arrive tomorrow, warranty rods next week, then a big Digitaka order. The HiSeas I am using now is strong, just way too thick and stiff for mono. I don't have the issues with braid at 50lb, but then I lose the casting ability of a smaller diameter line (same issue with current mono). I will probably put the mono on the 1516 Ray's spool and give it a shot. I have enough setups I can bottom contact with a different combo.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:21 am

Sunline Defier was my favorite nylon line for quite some time until Sunline USA told me a maybe 8 - 10 years ago they were planning on discontinuing it in the US.. yet it's still here :|

At that point, I made the switch to their Super Natural (http://tackletour.com/reviewsunlinesupernatural.html) ... not quite as good as Defier, but very affordable and available in clear. Always annoyed me Defier was only available in that dark green color.

Of course now, I'm mostly fishing hollow braid and switching leader material depending upon my intended application.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:35 pm

Cal wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:21 am
Sunline Defier was my favorite nylon line for quite some time until Sunline USA told me a maybe 8 - 10 years ago they were planning on discontinuing it in the US.. yet it's still here :|

At that point, I made the switch to their Super Natural (http://tackletour.com/reviewsunlinesupernatural.html) ... not quite as good as Defier, but very affordable and available in clear. Always annoyed me Defier was only available in that dark green color.

Of course now, I'm mostly fishing hollow braid and switching leader material depending upon my intended application.
I am seeing 2 versions of Supernatural Sunline on Tacklewarehouse. Also is mono notorious for issues? I see people fuss and complain about even good fluoros at times, but it seems EVERY mono has a few bad reviews.
Also what is the deal on this Machinegun Cast mono?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:22 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:35 pm

I am seeing 2 versions of Supernatural Sunline on Tacklewarehouse. Also is mono notorious for issues? I see people fuss and complain about even good fluoros at times, but it seems EVERY mono has a few bad reviews.
Also what is the deal on this Machinegun Cast mono?
Versions? or just different colors?

Mono's best traits... soft, stretchable, floats = good for horizontal bait presentations and topwater

Fluoro... tougher, more abrasion resistant than nylon mono or braid... more neutral buoyancy and will sink.. very good sensitivity because of density... more difficult to manage because it's so stiff - doesn't handle well

Braid... best handling line but not abrasion resistant against hard surfaces but can help cut through weeds - especially 4 strand. Also has a tendency to float.

There's more to it, but that's the brief run down from my experience.
Cal, Managing Editor

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:06 pm

Ones I would add:
Mono - hard to burn on knot tightening, best knot friction, not prone to snapping
Fluoro - can accidentally burn on knot tightening, knots slip easier, (somewhat) prone to snapping

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:23 am

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:06 pm
Ones I would add:
Mono - hard to burn on knot tightening, best knot friction, not prone to snapping
Fluoro - can accidentally burn on knot tightening, knots slip easier, (somewhat) prone to snapping
Yeah this is a good call. I have had friends that snap even the best fluoros, they lock the drag down and just absolutely rocket hooksets and it snaps. I think mono's flexibility gives it a tiny bit of needed stretch to protect the entire line's integrity. I still tie Palomar knots with fluoro, just tighten them gently and use a good bit of slobber. I do like tying the doubled uni (not uni-uni) knot for dropshots, much stronger cinch than a knot and the large knot helps to hold out your hook good and straight too.

I am thinking about the Neon Lime Sufix Advance on my next TW order. Got a bonus 20% off code during the last sale. I still wish I could just get used to braid, but EVERY TIME I use >50lb braid on a casting reel it digs in horribly. I still use 50lb 832 on an old Type R and it works fine.

Concerning Sunline mono, I keep seeing the Machinegun Cast I mentioned before on the JDM sites. They tout it as being pretty good stuff, but dang it is expensive.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:37 am

I've been using Sufix Siege on both spinning and casting gear for the past several years.

its far and above the best Mono I have ever used.

with a palomar knot you can't break it and it casts awesome, even on spinning gear

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:47 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:23 am

Concerning Sunline mono, I keep seeing the Machinegun Cast I mentioned before on the JDM sites. They tout it as being pretty good stuff, but dang it is expensive.
Oh I forgot to address this.. for me MachineGun Cast performed fine until put in a situation where abrasion is introduced. This was years ago (like over 10) that I recall and then I just never used it again.

Regarding knot strength, that is one of the downfalls of fluorocarbon I forgot to mention and it is also highly dependent upon the actual knot you're tying. I don't recall the recommended knots. I stopped tying it because the palomar knot is just too ingrained in my fingers.

This is also why we endure the painstaking tasks of testing each line we write up. Not all lines, but especially fluorocarbons, are created equal with regards to stretch, abrasion, and knot strength.
Cal, Managing Editor

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:05 pm

Hello, Friend!
Last year i fished with Kastking Monoflament and its good for the money: bright color for more lure control, soft, strong. Sure, JMD mono is better, but price of these lines are high. I think if you want tried, you can use Kastking for first time.Image