Fluoro vs Mono stretch

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Fluoro vs Mono stretch

Post by Freddie » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:31 am

I see 3 advantages of Fluoro over mono…1) less visible(uncertain of the validity and importance of this) 2) heavier, more dense=sinks more quickly 3) less stretch(again, uncertain of the validity)

Anything I missed or further insights on Flouro vs Mono? The thing is…the list of advantages of mono vs Flouro is just as long.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fluoro vs Mono stretch

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:57 am

check out fluoro showdowns.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:01 pm

Outdoor Life magazine had a cover story about 8 years ago that tested flouro in the lab against mono. They reported stretch between the 2 as virtually identical. One interesting thing they noted was that the flouro resisted returning to its original diameter. Instead it deformed, making the stretch permanent. They also noted that the fc actually significantly weakened along the entire tested length after 8-10 long steady tension pulls placed on the line. They also said that the visibility claims are false, that fc is just as visible underwater as a good clear mono. The industry has sold fishermen a bill of goods regarding fc. The only advantage it has is that it sinks, and even that is a disadvantage in some instances.
This is why I use a good copolymer such as p-line cxx. I honestly think it would survive a nuclear detonation. It behaves much the same as flouro with none of the drawbacks.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:12 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:01 pm
Outdoor Life magazine had a cover story about 8 years ago that tested flouro in the lab against mono. They reported stretch between the 2 as virtually identical. One interesting thing they noted was that the flouro resisted returning to its original diameter. Instead it deformed, making the stretch permanent. They also noted that the fc actually significantly weakened along the entire tested length after 8-10 long steady tension pulls placed on the line. They also said that the visibility claims are false, that fc is just as visible underwater as a good clear mono. The industry has sold fishermen a bill of goods regarding fc. The only advantage it has is that it sinks, and even that is a disadvantage in some instances.
This is why I use a good copolymer such as p-line cxx. I honestly think it would survive a nuclear detonation. It behaves much the same as flouro with none of the drawbacks.
I'm going to disagree on the stretch aspect. I don't know what fluoro they used in their tests (hopefully not Invizx), but every moderately hard fluoro I've used has less stretch than any true mono I've used. I'll let my personal experience be the deciding factor here. I use fluoro for everything except top water. I don't like the fact that braid is practically zero stretch, and I really don't like using it in the wind, which is more often than not.
I've tested my two fluoro choices against a handful of different monos while fishing on the bottom. Same power/taper rods, and the same weight/bait. Fluoro easily surpasses mono in terms of feedback transmission. Yes, it does deform, though it's minimal unless you give it a reason to deform substantially more.
I also fish a lot of light weight stuff, including weightless plastics. Fluoro is king here imo.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:00 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:12 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
I'm going to disagree on the stretch aspect. I don't know what fluoro they used in their tests (hopefully not Invizx), but every moderately hard fluoro I've used has less stretch than any true mono I've used. I'll let my personal experience be the deciding factor here. I use fluoro for everything except top water. I don't like the fact that braid is practically zero stretch, and I really don't like using it in the wind, which is more often than not.
I've tested my two fluoro choices against a handful of different monos while fishing on the bottom. Same power/taper rods, and the same weight/bait. Fluoro easily surpasses mono in terms of feedback transmission. Yes, it does deform, though it's minimal unless you give it a reason to deform substantially more.
I also fish a lot of light weight stuff, including weightless plastics. Fluoro is king here imo.
I think it was seaguar carbon pro, which was discontinued several years back. Fwiw, Tatsu cost me a bunch of cash the last tourney I fished. Broke off on a short line on 2 big bed fish, both times at the tip. It was 20# iirc. Would have won by 5#, but didn't even place in the money.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:24 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:00 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:12 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
I think it was seaguar carbon pro, which was discontinued several years back. Fwiw, Tatsu cost me a bunch of cash the last tourney I fished. Broke off on a short line on 2 big bed fish, both times at the tip. It was 20# iirc. Would have won by 5#, but didn't even place in the money.
That's unfortunate. I think that when we find one that we really, really like, whatever line type it may be, just stick with it.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:19 am

Finnz922 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:57 am
check out fluoro showdowns.
Thank you Finnz ... for those who are not familiar:

TackleTour Fluorocarbon Showdown Pt 1

TackleTour Fluorocarbon Showdown Pt 2
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:27 am

Did you ever do a stretch test of wet line? That's where I expect Mono to do worse than Fluoro, but the proof is in the pudding.

Edit: Never mind, it's in the 2nd article!

JS8588
Angler
Angler

Post by JS8588 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:42 pm

Fluoro has 1 major advantage over mono and one minor one (for me).

The major advantage is sensitivity. I absolutely feel bites on fluorocarbon I'd miss with mono.

The minor advantage is it holds up better to UV rays etc. Mono should be changed at least once every 6 months. Maybe even once every 3.