Stren Super Braid fail

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Stren Super Braid fail

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:46 pm

I have a confession to make. I am cheap.
Back in the late 2000's, when Stren came out with their "quiet' Super braid, I put their 50lb braid on my first Quantum EXO baitcasters, and on my original Smoke reels, too. Back then, those were my reaction bait setups. At the time, they had Power Pro braid on them, but I never like how loud and rough it was, so I decided to try Stren's braid, to see if it was an improvement. It was, by a long shot.
In the last few years, I got intrigued with the new multi-strand braid, and I'd switch out the Stren braid with the newer braid on one of those reels, to give the braid a proper test.
This week, after breaking off two chatterbaits on the last of the smoke reels with that braid, I finally replaced the line because I had to.
That is more than 13 years of throwing spinnerbaits and chatterbaits on the same spool of braid, with the last eight years up here on the CA Delta.
I never really worried about whether the braid was still strong until this week. I guess, having long ago lost most of its green hue, and all of whatever coating it had on it to make it smooth, I should have expected it to finally die, but it was still a surprise.
I still had a couple of new-in-the-box 150yd Stren Sonic Braid, so I respooled with that this time.
If I get another 13 years out of this braid, I really won't have anything to complain about.
Of course, I'll be 88 by then, so I'll be lucky to even be around to fish. Hahaha

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Stren Super Braid fail

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:34 am

I, too, have a confession to make: I can't understand your post. I'd like to, because I have two unused spools of Stren Super Braid I have been considering finally putting to use.

Which braid lasted you 13 years--Stren Super Braid or the braid you replaced that with on some of your reels? If the latter, was that replacement braid Stren Sonic Braid or some other braid you did not name?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:26 am

The braid that failed this week was the Stren Super Braid that I put on thirteen years ago, and used constantly on a reaction bait setup, with a fluorocarbon leader or just tied directly to either a spinnerbait or a chatterbait.
The Stren Sonic Braid is what I replaced it with earlier this week.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:35 am

I had a pretty good run on one rig with the Stren Braid for years as well.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:13 pm

Still using Stren Sonic 30lb on a BC and Super Braid 8 & 10 on a couple of threadlines. Both have been excellent performing, tough, durable and strong.

No complaints aside both could be a bit quieter through the guides.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:22 pm

I have reels with Daiwa Samurai Braid that I spooled on back in 2010 that I'm still using for topwater and spinnerbaits.