Which is your favorite knot?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Which is your favorite knot?

Post by clemsondds » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:35 am

I know this has been done a ton, but I searched through and haven't seen a recent thread on this topic specifically.
I typically use the palomar, but occasionally I am running out of room on my leader and want to switch to something that doesn't use up so much line (especially on long top water lures like super spook jr). I have tried several in the past and just need to narrow it down to two knots so that I can be more proficient with them. I have gotten pretty good at the fg knot so I like that for joining braid to leader, so now I just need to get one more lure knot.
So what's your favorite? palomar, San Diego jam, improved clinch, uni, alberto...
Thanks everyone

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Which is your favorite knot?

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:39 am

I have two favorite. Uni knot because it's simple and trustworthy and practical. FG knot because it can be reeled in and it's beautiful way to join braided to FC.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:54 am

Fishnfool knot
It is the uni knot but through the eye twice not once.

For even more strength/less slip I double the line over then tie the fishnfool. With this my nanofil line holds way better than palomar or double palomar as recommended.
8# nanofil will hold to 12# with doubled fnf knot.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:39 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:39 am
I have two favorite. Uni knot because it's simple and trustworthy and practical. FG knot because it can be reeled in and it's beautiful way to join braided to FC.
Cool so you use uni for all line?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:35 am

Uni knot is OK to me almost all. Only exception is long leader FC to braided. I use Uni for spool arbor, and for braided to braided and steel leader to braided or FC leader to swivel. Also loop knot can be done by Uni knot, but then some simple knot is needed to be added for stopping Uni not to tighten to the end. But if pulled a lot, then it tightens to end. I don't like Rapala knot.. :D

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:24 pm

Fishnfool for lures/hooks. Uni equivalent for tying line to spools.

Double uni for line connections.

Almost the same knot so very easy to use both...

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:18 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:35 am
Uni knot is OK to me almost all. Only exception is long leader FC to braided. I use Uni for spool arbor, and for braided to braided and steel leader to braided or FC leader to swivel. Also loop knot can be done by Uni knot, but then some simple knot is needed to be added for stopping Uni not to tighten to the end. But if pulled a lot, then it tightens to end. I don't like Rapala knot.. :D
Dalleinf wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:24 pm
Fishnfool for lures/hooks. Uni equivalent for tying line to spools.

Double uni for line connections.

Almost the same knot so very easy to use both...
jvelth74 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:39 am
For uni…how many loops do y’all do?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:20 pm

Often 6-8.
Thick line especially FC or nylon and less will do 3-4.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:09 pm

clemsondds wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:18 pm
For uni…how many loops do y’all do?
Five. But in case of Double Uni I use four for thicker line, and in case of braided, usually 6 for thinner line. (In case of Nylon it's possible that loops for thinner couldn't be increased because line breaks before it tightens.)

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:08 pm

Uni knot for leader to lure/jighead for me for the most part. Quick and easy to tie on my kayak, and haven't had any issues with slippage or breaking, even on upper slot to over slot redfish. Occasionally use the non slip loop knot for topwaters or if I want more action when fishing jigheads and paddle tails.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:32 pm

Trilene knot because it was on the package when I was still a kid and learned that. So I've come to tie it very well after so many years and it uses very little line.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:37 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:32 pm
Trilene knot because it was on the package when I was still a kid and learned that. So I've come to tie it very well after so many years and it uses very little line.
This 99% of the time... although I will also tie a San Diego jam knot every now and then.

Connection knots are Shin Fukae for thinner braid and leader 10lb or less, crazy Alberto for strongest connection for heavier braids and leaders, uni to uni for quick connection of backing to main line when spooling or if I need a fast easy to tie connection and it's less than ideal conditions outside.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:02 am

I use a knot a friend showed me. It's a single uni with the fluoro and an Alberto with the braid. Tied this way, both tag ends exit the knot towards the reel rather than one of them facing away from the reel and potentially causing the knot to hang up on a guide while casting. He doesn't have a name for it but his name is Dan so I guess it's Dan's knot 8-)

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:55 am

FG for connection knots when I rig up at home. I should do the Lazy Alberto/Shin Fukae more, but on the water I usually just go back to a Double Uni cause it works and isn’t all that big.

99% San Diego Jam for terminal tackle, even when the bait is small enough to do a Palomar. I find that it’s easier to control (and minimize) the length of the tag end that way.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:29 am

King Sling for cranks

Palomar for snaps and jigs.

Improved Clinched for most other.