Line Diameter Comparisons

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
rickman1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Line Diameter Comparisons

Post by rickman1 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:24 pm

I use JDM lines as they are rated according to their line diameters. I wish the U.S. market would get in line with the rest of the world in regards to line ratings and line diameters. The fly line tippets are more accurate not sure why monofilament isn't. U.S. 2lb. monofilament to 4lb. line elsewhere. Anyways someone might find this useful.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Line Diameter Comparisons

Post by godshippy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:43 pm

I typically just go down a rating now whenever I'm spooling up line. I used to use 15# Trilene 100% fluorocarbon on my Senko rod, but now I'm using 12# with much better success. Handles better, gets more bites, and I haven't had issues with breakoffs.

I do the same thing now with crankbaits and jerkbaits. I would throw 15# on a squarebill but started using 12#, and from 12# down to 10# for jerkbaits.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:00 am

I ignore the pound test rating and use line diameter. It was a tough transition because I was raised to buy using pound test. The question I have is how accurate is the line diameter listed on the box?

Larry 2020 Niagara
Angler
Angler

Post by Larry 2020 Niagara » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:53 pm

Unfortunately, most of the line diameters listed
on most line packages are inaccurate. Lines can
be as much as 25% thicker than the stated diameter.

This cannot be unintentional. I believe that most
line companies merely match the diameters that
are stated on the packages of lines that they
perceive to be their competition.