Braid on Daiwa TW reels

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
PhilHTX
Angler
Angler

Braid on Daiwa TW reels

Post by PhilHTX » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:41 pm

Do these reels prefer a certain type of braid? A few months ago I set up a rig for topwater and soft plastics using a Tatula SV TW 8.1 which got 30lb Berkeley X9 braid. Since then, I’ve broken off 1/2 oz whopper ploppers and same weighted football jigs with soft plastics while casting. I’m having similar experience with another Tatula 8.1 SV TW rig spooled with 65lb Power Pro which is used for worms, frogging and heavy jigs, except I’ve never broken off on frogs.

The bird nesting on both types of braid is superficial every time, meaning it’s easy to pick out the mess and carry on. Every time it appears a couple of loops are at fault. An older ABU pro max I use on occasion for topwaters has the same X9 braid and it’s never bird nested like the Tatulas do on braid. BTW, all of the ploppers that broke off were recovered a looong way from the boat.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Braid on Daiwa TW reels

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:57 am

Not to my knowledge and experience. I use different braid on many different TW reels. That said, I do not like the more flat types of thermally bonded super line on any baitcaster (e.g. Fireline)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:16 am

PhilHTX wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:41 pm
Do these reels prefer a certain type of braid? A few months ago I set up a rig for topwater and soft plastics using a Tatula SV TW 8.1 which got 30lb Berkeley X9 braid. Since then, I’ve broken off 1/2 oz whopper ploppers and same weighted football jigs with soft plastics while casting. I’m having similar experience with another Tatula 8.1 SV TW rig spooled with 65lb Power Pro which is used for worms, frogging and heavy jigs, except I’ve never broken off on frogs.

The bird nesting on both types of braid is superficial every time, meaning it’s easy to pick out the mess and carry on. Every time it appears a couple of loops are at fault. An older ABU pro max I use on occasion for topwaters has the same X9 braid and it’s never bird nested like the Tatulas do on braid. BTW, all of the ploppers that broke off were recovered a looong way from the boat.

The Berkley X9 you are using is EXTREMELY thin line. I had similar issues using 30lb Sufix 832. It isn't the T-wing causing it, happened to me on Shimanos and Lew's reels. The T-wing and braid negative interaction is mainly for passage of connection knots. Other than that it's just a regular old levelwind. As far as the 65lb doing it, sometimes braid just does that. It bothers me so bad I will not use it on a baitcaster. If I were forced to use braid or go back and try again, I'd use thicker line (if possible for application) and make sure I spooled it on TIGHT to prevent digging in. On a positive note, I have had braid "break in" and become more manageable.

Good luck, and know you aren't the only one, was an awful experience for me.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:41 am

No issuses with braid on my tw reels. Have used 8-14-20-40-60 test they all work great.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:48 am

I use braid almost exclusively, and all my reels are t-wing Daiwas(most have 10-30# X9, as well). All superlines have 2 flaws, including X9.
1) poor abrasion resistance.
2) breakage under a sudden (or shock) stress, as when the line stops mid-cast on a backlash. This is why sw guys call a leader a "shock leader". It is an acceptable risk for me, as braid invariably casts much further and easier than either mono or flouro. A short leader that doesn't let the knot onto the spool is what I've found to best mitigate cast-offs.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:33 am

One of the toughest and strongest 8 carrier braids with bigger diameter is Tufline Domin8. Try that in 30lb, it performs great as an all-around braid, especially after it breaks in.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

PhilHTX
Angler
Angler

Post by PhilHTX » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:57 am

Thanks for the replies thus far. I was very careful on my last outing to avoid extending casts and didn’t have a blowup or break off, which is never a problem with floro. Will try thicker X9 on one of my TWs in a few weeks and Tufline as well.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:50 pm

I have 30# braid on all my T-wing reels and haven't had an issue. I'm using Spiderwire Ultracast Braid.