Line question

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
johnmyers
Angler
Angler

Line question

Post by johnmyers » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:35 pm

My spinning outfits are all NRX with Stradic 2500 using 20lb Smackdown and 6-10 lb mono or floro leaders. I really like this set up but at times I wonder if I would keep fish pinned better with straight mono or floro. What do you think the best line is.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Line question

Post by Drakestar » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:37 pm

I seriously struggle with mono or fluoro on spinning reels, even when it's soft, "low memory" fluorocarbon. The amount of line twist after a few weeks isn't worth it IMO. Better to go to a longer leader, more moderate rod, and/or less drag.

If you do want to go all mono or fluoro, I'd do mono in free water (where abrasion resistance isn't important), and go with Suffix Advance.

But if there's bottom contact and abrasion, I'd find the fluoro line with the least deformity (i.e. Sunline Shooter, see here: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2pg2.html), your preferred amount of stretch (see first page of that article, the idea that FC automatically stretches less than mono is a myth), and really good manageability (not sure if there's one comparison chart on TT), but some of the standalone FC reviews mention it, i.e. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewseaguartatsufcpg3.html)

Coincidentally (or not), ny go-to that kind hits the right sweet spot would be Seaguar Tatsu as described in that 2nd link, even though it's expensive.

johnmyers
Angler
Angler

Post by johnmyers » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:33 am

Thanks for the reply I also haven’t liked mono or floro on spinning. I think I will just keep doing braid to leader and not deal with twist

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:07 am

I did straight Maxima Ultragreen and straight P-Line Floroclear for years, but dropshotting puts so much twist in the line that my reels all have 15# braid with a fluorocarbon leader now.

I still have a 3000 yard spool of 6# P-Line floroclear, but that's for trout and crappie setups now.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:12 am

Where is the fish getting unbuttoned? Generally being close to the boat or shore is where often time mono shines best with it's stretch and shock absorption. Then again this does depends on how one is controlling the fish. I fish almost exclusively with braid plus top shot leader. There are some rigs with straight braid to hook/lure. Again it depends as some fish is better to drive them shore or onto boat quickly before they know it sort of to say. Others it's better to swim them a few figure eights before bringing them in.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

johnmyers
Angler
Angler

Post by johnmyers » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:54 am

It varies but whenever I lose a fish I always wonder why. I am just going to stick with Smackdown and a leader

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:07 am

I use braid to leader on just about every setup I have. I find that if I'm losing fish, it's either a drag or hook issue. I also don't use mono as a leader, even for topwaters, I'll use copoly.

What hooks are you using?

johnmyers
Angler
Angler

Post by johnmyers » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:59 am

I use hooks that come in baits. Vision 110s, Pointers, Z Man Ned heads, Gamagatsu worm hooks. I really don’t lose many but 1 or 2 is too many. Thanks for all of your replies

Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Senkobass1 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:46 pm

Could be loose drag or hookset angle? Treble hooked baits were my enemy till I found out my drag was too tight and I was pulling hooks. I got a softer rod to take care of that. Same thing with the Ned. A lighter rod with a softer tip helped me “lean” into bites better instead of setting like a finesse jig.

johnmyers
Angler
Angler

Post by johnmyers » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:02 am

Thanks I think I’m ok now with changing to a lighter drag