What line do you crank with?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What line do you crank with?

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:13 pm

buy the one that sells in bulk.

i pick up 2000 yard spools of 20lbs and 30lbs power pro braid.

it fills 40+ of my multi species setups.
1-2%

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:58 pm

clemsondds wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:09 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:48 am
Fluorocarbon for most applications.

30lb braid with a leader for deep cranking. Keeps my IPT up and also give me good feel at the end of long line.
Any special braid? 4 strand vs 8 strand vs 12? I know they say 8 strand is suppose to make less sound through guides and water...who knows.
I have 8 strand on right now. I have used 4 strand in the past. A little more noise but, I felt it was better at ripping through weeds. Give and take I suppose
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:09 pm

I use 10 to 20# braid, depending on the size of the crankbait. Most times, I tie directly with no leader. Ive fished side-by-side with guys that were using flouro or mono and I've not been significantly out-fished, except for once, where the guy was just a better fisherman than me. :whistle: :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:38 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:09 pm
I use 10 to 20# braid, depending on the size of the crankbait. Most times, I tie directly with no leader. Ive fished side-by-side with guys that were using flouro or mono and I've not been significantly out-fished, except for once, where the guy was just a better fisherman than me. :whistle: :lol:
to be honest, I actually agree. (even though I always use flouro leads). I think it's in our head, and straight braid would work just as well.
1-2%

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:05 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:38 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
to be honest, I actually agree. (even though I always use flouro leads). I think it's in our head, and straight braid would work just as well.
I agree as well, but I use fluoro or copoly leaders for the little bit of stretch and abrasion resistance.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:25 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Awesome thanks! Yeh, I picked up 20 and 30lb smackdown, 8x grand and 131...just to give them a try. I think I already have some 10lb jbraid for my bfs setup. So I guess we will give these a try and see how it goes. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:20 pm

The leader helps with abrasion cranking through rocks and such. It also helps prevent lures from getting launched into orbit by a know snapping on the cast. I see it happen straight braid has some abrasion near the knot.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:39 pm

Braid + leader more times than not. If I were deep cranking 15+, I might go with a heavier fluoro.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."