What line do you crank with?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What line do you crank with?

Post by clemsondds » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:01 pm

Just curious what you all use for cranking? I've listened to lots of "experts" online lol...Lord knows they know a ton more than me though. I have heard Fritz uses braid for cranking, heard most say they use fluoro for obvious reasons (clarity, less noise, depth...) , and heard tacticalbassin talk about using both :fluoro for general cranking and then braid to leader if they are on a bite where the bass are on a big reaction bite where they need the bait to stop and start with precision. So after all that, what do you use and why? Thanks!!

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What line do you crank with?

Post by Johnny A » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:11 am

clemsondds wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:01 pm
Just curious what you all use for cranking? I've listened to lots of "experts" online lol...Lord knows they know a ton more than me though. I have heard Fritz uses braid for cranking, heard most say they use fluoro for obvious reasons (clarity, less noise, depth...) , and heard tacticalbassin talk about using both :fluoro for general cranking and then braid to leader if they are on a bite where the bass are on a big reaction bite where they need the bait to stop and start with precision. So after all that, what do you use and why? Thanks!!
Flouro for shallow cranking near cover.
Nylon for crankin' in open water.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:35 am

Johnny A wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:11 am
clemsondds wrote:
Thanks! Mind sharing your thought process for choosing that? Thanks!

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:52 am

I've tried so many lines for cranking. I've settled in with 20lbs braid with 6lbs diameter.
1-2%

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:58 am

clemsondds wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:35 am
Johnny A wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:11 am
clemsondds wrote:
Thanks! Mind sharing your thought process for choosing that? Thanks!
The flouro has superior abrasion resistance near wood, rock and veg.
The nylon gives a bit more stretch/give when you're fighting a fish.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:38 am

12# fluorocarbon because of the near constant rock contact in my waters.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:52 am
I've tried so many lines for cranking. I've settled in with 20lbs braid with 6lbs diameter.
So do you just go straight 20lb braid and no leader?

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:58 pm

20lb braid with 10lb P Line CXX leader. Straight braid when fishing over weed flats.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:05 am

I just stick with fluorocarbon--it helps me keep depth a bit better because it doesn't have a tendency to float the bait up.

I've never been a fan of braid for cranking unless it's an LV500 or other lipless crankbait, then I'm using 30# braid and ripping it through weeds. If I was fishing more around a lot of rocks, then I would go with fluorocarbon.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:07 am

clemsondds wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 pm
SteveSchmelzle wrote:
no, I use flouro leaders up to 3' in length.
surgeons knot to connect.

the thin diameter braid cuts the water and gets additional depth out of the cranks.

not to mention you get the most reactive feel, allowing you to notice when you foul up (and allows you to do a quick jerk to free).

I know lots of folks use flouro, and it is a bit more forgiving, especially on a jumping smallie, but for my uses and needs, braid (plus flouro lead) is far superior.
1-2%

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:42 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:07 am
clemsondds wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 pm
SteveSchmelzle wrote:
no, I use flouro leaders up to 3' in length.
surgeons knot to connect.

the thin diameter braid cuts the water and gets additional depth out of the cranks.

not to mention you get the most reactive feel, allowing you to notice when you foul up (and allows you to do a quick jerk to free).

I know lots of folks use flouro, and it is a bit more forgiving, especially on a jumping smallie, but for my uses and needs, braid (plus flouro lead) is far superior.
aqua71 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:58 pm
20lb braid with 10lb P Line CXX leader. Straight braid when fishing over weed flats.
What braid are you guys using? 4 strand, 8 strand…? Any particular reason?
I think I’m leaning toward 20 or 30lb braid to mono leader for 15+ft and straight fluoro for 0-15ft. I currently have my 10xd rigged with 15lb tatsu and just feel like there’s too much sponginess in it. I think I get a little better feedback when my bait is a mile out there from a bombed cast. I do hate leader knots though…so that’s why I think I’ll stick with straight fluoro for shallower stuff.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:16 am

i'm a basic

i simply use power pro
1-2%

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:59 am

Most of my cranking duties are on 10lb Maxima Ultragreen, it's amazing how tough that line is.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:48 am

Fluorocarbon for most applications.

30lb braid with a leader for deep cranking. Keeps my IPT up and also give me good feel at the end of long line.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:09 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:48 am
Fluorocarbon for most applications.

30lb braid with a leader for deep cranking. Keeps my IPT up and also give me good feel at the end of long line.
Any special braid? 4 strand vs 8 strand vs 12? I know they say 8 strand is suppose to make less sound through guides and water...who knows.