Japanese PE line strength?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
green weenie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Japanese PE line strength?

Post by green weenie » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:12 pm

Hey guy,

What’s the real story with Japanese PE line strength? I don’t quite understand this breaking strength difference in layman’s terms. I have several sizes of Japanese braids from 16-60 and they all seem significantly under powered. Even 50 and 60 lb breaks way easier in anecdotal situations. Please help me understand this better.

Thanks.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Japanese PE line strength?

Post by dennis_rf » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:57 am

Check this thread, I guess that’s the answer you are looking for:
http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?t=74502

these days I do neither pay attention to any test stength or diameter and solely decide on PE rating. Using a FG knot, I know I can combine as such and have the lure break off in case of a snag I can’t pull. Works like a charm for me because I pick the leader strength for a given situation first, the main line follows.

PE0.8 - 8lb max
PE1.0 - 10lb max
PE1.2 - 12lb max

Let’s take the Berkley x9 for example, they have all specs on the spool:

US: 6lb
Max (tensile) strength Asia: 17lb
PE Class: 1.0
Europe: 7.6kg (16,7lb so also tensile strength)

So as stated above I‘d use this when paired to a 10lb leader, whatever the real breaking strength of that one will be.

green weenie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by green weenie » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:24 am

Thanks I went through that whole thread. Lately I’ve been a little hesitant setting the hook with my 30lb YGK x8 upgrade due to the line diameter of 4-6 lb usdm line. Especially on a moving bait. I’m not sure I could even be comfortable flipping and pitching with 50 and punching with 60 due to the diameter and breaking strength max. I’ve read a bunch of guys doing it though I would just hate to break off a money fish in a tourney. I guess I should have really thought this through better before respooling every reel with these jdm line diameters, especially for short line presentations this spring. DOH!

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:35 am

I use the line diameter and not the pound test. I use YKG X8 on my spinning reels. The box says 22lb. The diameter is .067 which should be about 10 lb breaking strength so that is what I consider it. I'm not sure how YKG determines their lb test for X8 but it seems wildly over-rated.