Random Fluorocarbon

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Random Fluorocarbon

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 26, 2023 5:28 am

I am looking to run some 14-16lb (diameter of .32-.35mm preferably) for my Zillion SVTW. It is sort of a utility reel I take on short trips, and hate to waste my best line on there. I have a spool of 14lb Shooter, but planned on putting it on my Conquest and possibly a new reel for my chatterbait setup. This being said, does anyone have suggestions on a weird yet decent line I haven't tried?

So far I have tried InvizX, Sniper, Shooter, Daiwa Samurai, HiSeas, and P-Line halo (only in 8lb). I'd be interested in trying Halo in 15lb, but it is on the thicker end. Never tried YGK or Yo-Zuri, never tried Gamma but it is HIGH$$$. Maxima and TUFline are possibles too.

Just open to any suggestion, probably gonna throw a spool on my Memorial Day TW order, but would try JDM too if a suggestion is strong enough.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Random Fluorocarbon

Post by dennis_rf » Fri May 26, 2023 5:40 am

Haven’t tried it myself as it’s not available in Europe but it sounds promising:
https://youtu.be/N76CMSsaBnI

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Fri May 26, 2023 7:36 am

i keep sticking with assassin. it handles well, and it's reasonably priced.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri May 26, 2023 7:45 am

Zander is enjoying his time with Shimano's new Mastiff

Seaguar's AbrazX is worth trying

That's two that come to mind. I fished Gamma years ago and did not care for it.

Oh Berkley Trilene FC is actually decent.. might just have to buy a couple of different strengths to get the diameter you want unless they're listed in the review. Can't recall if I measured a range of strengths.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Fri May 26, 2023 7:59 am

I asked myself the same question and 10 lb CXX (.35 mm) is what I ended up with for junk fishing on a Zillion SVTW. I like it and it's far more manageable than the 15 and 17 lb that now pull leader duty.

It's not pure fluorocarbon but it's inexpensive and tough, with a topwater option.

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Fri May 26, 2023 8:36 am

A few months ago, I bought some 'cheap' flouro on Sunline USA's website.

I have been using it, and every time I set the hook, I wince, because I paid $3.99 for 400 yards of Sunline.

Aside from it being thicker than average (eg, 6# feels like 8#), I have found zero issues, except that it has zero abrasion resistance. Is it Shooter? No way. 400 yards of Shooter would not be under 4 bucks.

If you're fishing open water or cover that doesn't require too much abrasion resistance, check it out!

EDIT: THEY'RE SOLD OUT, SORRY.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri May 26, 2023 5:20 pm

Go with 12# Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon! I was recently fishing off a rocky bank and hooked into a very large batray that took me up and down the rockwall and ripped my drag for 30 minutes and successfully landed it.

I had been on a binge of trying different Japanese brands and just fell back to Trilene and I should have never looked elsewhere...the 12# casts well and is tough as nails.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri May 26, 2023 9:58 pm

Jason Penn wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:36 am
i keep sticking with assassin. it handles well, and it's reasonably priced.
Yep. Best price to performance fluorocarbon I've ever used. My go to unless I need something a little more stiff with less stretch. I have zero problems recommending this line.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat May 27, 2023 5:19 am

godshippy wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 5:20 pm
Go with 12# Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon! I was recently fishing off a rocky bank and hooked into a very large batray that took me up and down the rockwall and ripped my drag for 30 minutes and successfully landed it.

I had been on a binge of trying different Japanese brands and just fell back to Trilene and I should have never looked elsewhere...the 12# casts well and is tough as nails.
I have heard that Trilene 100% is close to Hi-Seas. It is a good bit thicker than most, but still manageable and overall good. I would have to use 12lb, their 15lb is closer to 17-20lb Seaguar/Sunline. There are a ton out there, I just like trying an odd brand now and then. Was a bunch of Strike King Contra at Wal-Mart for like $9. I wish I had bought the 25lb now looking back, with line that thick I am sure it would be fine for my swimbait setup...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat May 27, 2023 10:35 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 5:19 am
godshippy wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 5:20 pm

I have heard that Trilene 100% is close to Hi-Seas. It is a good bit thicker than most, but still manageable and overall good. I would have to use 12lb, their 15lb is closer to 17-20lb Seaguar/Sunline. There are a ton out there, I just like trying an odd brand now and then. Was a bunch of Strike King Contra at Wal-Mart for like $9. I wish I had bought the 25lb now looking back, with line that thick I am sure it would be fine for my swimbait setup...
Most of those odd or different brands are still manufactured by the same companies that make the majority of the better known stuff - just to different standards, most being of lesser quality.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon May 29, 2023 5:31 am

Well looks like for sure I need a line order now... Fishing at a trout resort this weekend I major backlashed the Aldebaran. It was FULL of 7lb green/camo JDM Sniper, was casting tiny lures great until I hit the dock. Thought I was gonna be cool like in the Japanese videos where guys do the loopy loop then cast. I did it a few casts, but then wound up and smacked the dock.

Eventually got the backlash out, but I can clearly feel areas that got kinked pretty good. I did notice that this 7lb (FC Sniper Invisible is the actual name), is thicker than the 8lb Tatsu I use on my Millionaire. I'd like to have the Aldebaran run lighter line that the Millionaire/ML rod combo, any suggestions for random lighter fluoros?

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue May 30, 2023 9:24 am

You should give Gamma or Maxima a try. I've heard nothing but great things about those two.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue May 30, 2023 7:19 pm

godshippy wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 9:24 am
You should give Gamma or Maxima a try. I've heard nothing but great things about those two.
Gamma makes the best fluoro I've ever used, but it ain't cheap. I use to use the Touch exclusively on my lighter casting setups.