LC Pointers

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Boods
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

LC Pointers

Post by Boods » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:55 pm

For you smallmouth gurus out there, which size of LC Pointers do you reach for? I just feel that a 100 might be a tad to big. Thoughts? I'm thinking the 78's are about perfect.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: LC Pointers

Post by BucketHunter » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:38 pm

I really like the SP 95. I find the 78 to be quite small, They work fine, but often looking for a bigger bite in tourneys.
Dont be afraid of the bigger sizes though, Smallies will hit alot bigger bait than people give them credit for.
Set hard and set often

crankmaniac
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by crankmaniac » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:05 pm

X2 for the sp 95. =D> I think it is one of the best pointer in the lc line up for smallmouth in term of size and action but in my opinion the best lc jerkbait for smallmouth is the slender pointer 97mr especially if you fish clearv water. :-$ :-#

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:09 pm

dont tell him that!
sheesh, giving it all away lol...
he's right though.
Set hard and set often

Boods
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Boods » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:41 pm

I'll just buy a plethora of different Pointers and field test them all. I'm going to hold you guys to the SP 95 and SP 97mr theory though. :D Thanks for the help guys!

Sean T York PA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sean T York PA » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:21 am

Depending on teh time of year different sizes will out perform each other. The 78 will work better in teh spring and 100 in teh fall. I don't have any of the slender 95's so i can't comment. I always did well enough with the other two.
Pro Staff HawgheadBaits

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:06 am

I get great results using the 100, the 78 is the smallest I use and I only drop down if the fish tell me. I think there are a lot of people who think the 100 may be too big but it isn't, think its perfect, and it is the time of year all the forage is big. Think about it, there are no fry around until the spawn gets into full swing so you can use that bigger size and have a lot of success until mid to late April depending on mother nature.
Barlow's Tackle

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:08 am

When it comes to jerkbaits and spinnerbaits,smallmouth defy logic and will hit surprisingly big baits. I have cleaned up on a big smithwick rogue in the spring which is much bigger than a 100. I have also done very well on ounce and a half ledgebuster spinnerbaits in deep water. They will also hit swimbaits and sometimes the bass is the same size as the swimbait so I would not be afraid of throwing the Pointer 100.

Scott F
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scott F » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:04 am

I have a smallmouth lake where I fish pre-spawn smallies and they want the 65's, 3 to 1 over anything bigger. You can see why when the fish you catch are spitting up these tiny minnows.
I believe in the "big bait=big fish" rule but after being schooled with someone using the 65's, I know it ain't always so.

65's are not easy to come by. But, it pays to have some on hand to give them a try during pre-spawn. It's funny though, the number 6 X-rap, which is nearly the same size, didn't do nearly as well.

Boods
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Boods » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:55 am

Sounds like a variety of sizes work well based on the time of year. Does water temp play into your guys' decision too, depending on how active the fish seem to be?

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:45 am

I use 100's more than anything. I'm fishing lake erie where the average size smallie runs pretty big. Water temps have more of an effect on style of bait than size from my experience.

emjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by emjay » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:19 pm

65 for numbers.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:11 am

Scott F wrote:I have a smallmouth lake where I fish pre-spawn smallies and they want the 65's, 3 to 1 over anything bigger. You can see why when the fish you catch are spitting up these tiny minnows.
I believe in the "big bait=big fish" rule but after being schooled with someone using the 65's, I know it ain't always so.

65's are not easy to come by. But, it pays to have some on hand to give them a try during pre-spawn. It's funny though, the number 6 X-rap, which is nearly the same size, didn't do nearly as well.

Your sutuation is common, you go out and the fish are keyed in on a specific size forage, it happens when they are on a specific size crayfish bite too, if you don't have the right size jig or tube you can forget getting bit. I like to stay with a 100 but if I'm fishing for an hour without a strike that the person I'm fishing with is catching them on a smaller bait then I'll downsize, and there are certain places that have an abundance of small forage fish and you just have no choice. The river I fish has a large variety of forage from crawfish, to darters and chubs and the lakes I fish have bluegill and alewives, so everyplace I fish has forage that can get pretty big and in these systems is where the big bait= big fish rule applies but it isn't written in stone.
Barlow's Tackle

FishyFingers
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishyFingers » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:36 am

The average size fish in your lake usually lets you know how big of a bait you need to throw. I fish Erie and a 100 is just a snack to a lot of the SM in that water. Some of the more northern lakes I fish the bass tend to be a bit smaller and the smaller sized baits seem to get bit more often IMO.

Boods
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Boods » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks for the input fellas! Ya'll the best!