Place your bets...........place your bets!

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Place your bets...........place your bets!

Post by toddmc » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:44 pm

IMG_0478.jpg
IMG_0478.jpg (51.6 KiB) Viewed 5493 times
So, I managed to lose my one precious custom painted Evergreen CH-1 on a donkey in the middle of a hot bite the other night. I did what any grown man would do, and I held an impromptu funeral in the form of me going to my knees and crying for a few minutes. Rather than soil the precious water in front of me with another unworthy form of lure, I called it a night vowing to have my revenge. I don't have time to procure or paint another bait because the conditions for this type of bite in my area don't last long and these baits aren't in my local Wally World. The closest thing that I currently have is a Mann's Baby 1-Minus. Like I said, I don't have time to custom paint what I want, so I grabbed the darkest Sharpies that I had in the boat and created a masterpiece as great as any five minutes allows. How much are you guys willing to bet that I catch them tonight? You can be brutal, but don't bring my mother into your insults! :lol:

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Place your bets...........place your bets!

Post by Johnny A » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:58 pm

Okay, do you wanna see the 3 baits I recently did with a red Sharpie?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:13 pm

Let’s see em

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:57 pm

toddmc wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:13 pm
Let’s see em
Attachments
7522AE0D-3E7C-48E6-AC99-3C301C268C9D.jpeg
7522AE0D-3E7C-48E6-AC99-3C301C268C9D.jpeg (30.32 KiB) Viewed 5450 times

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:58 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:57 pm
toddmc wrote:
Let’s see em
Evergreen Flat Force, Berkley Frittside and an OSP

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:59 pm

Sorry for your loss although it paved the way for a funny story 😁 Hope you catch’em on the Jackson Pollock bait.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:27 am

236 views on this picture as I write this post and now one was willing to ceremoniously bet big for or against my success. I obviously am not worthy of a site of my own! :D You guys must have known that I was going to catch them. :roll: I did catch them, but I didn't expect the April Fool's Day shenanigans that followed.
I started on a lake right by where I parked and missed a fish on the first cast that ate it on the next. Four fish and ten minutes later, I walked across the fairway to the tiny lake where I lost the CH-1. I put new batteries in my headlamp hoping to find the floating bait, but first I had to make a few casts to the exact spot to try to catch the fish that had my bait stuck in its mouth as I watched it swim away. The fish explodes on my bait on the second cast completely missing it. Damn, I knew that fish probably wouldn't bite again. I started walking around the small lake that is about 50 yards in diameter with my headlamp on looking for the bait I lost. My custom bait was twenty feet from where I hooked the fish three nights before. The Evergreen Treble Magic hooks had a little rust for some reason. They have seen a lot of use and have been tweeked and sharpened many times.
IMG_0480.jpg
IMG_0480.jpg (60.37 KiB) Viewed 5250 times
You gotta love floating baits. About 5 minutes after the fish had gotten away with my bait 3 nights earlier, I heard it jump to throw my bait, and my bait rattle, but I didn't find my bait at that time.
I continued to the third lake on the next fairway and caught about a dozen fish in an hour on my ghetto Baby 1-Minus. This skinny spawner is about the average size. The bottom tine on the front Owner ST-36 broke off of my ghetto painted Baby 1-Minus because the hook was buried in a fishes mouth and I had to grab the shank of the hook with my pliers because the bend of the hook was buried. Don't make this rookie mistake boys and girls. I pulled another hook off of my backup bait only to watch my productive ghetto bait disappear in another fishes mouth because my brand new size 1 Decoy Egg snap opened up and completely straightened out. Those things aren't rated to 30 pounds as advertised. The second lost fish also jumped about 5 minutes after it took my bait, and I hear my lost bait rattle in its mouth. Dejavu. At least I caught em! :D I didn't find the lost ghetto bait right away either. I doubt that I will go back and look hard for a $6 bait though. :D
Last edited by toddmc on Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:05 am

Johnny A wrote:
toddmc wrote:
Let’s see em
That fancy art school degree really paid off! :lol: Nice work.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:39 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:59 pm
Sorry for your loss although it paved the way for a funny story 😁 Hope you catch’em on the Jackson Pollock bait.
Thanks. It is sweet to have my work compared to Jackson Pollock. :D Maybe I should start selling these at Bass Pro Tour events! Does anyone want to do a preorder. I will individually number and sign it for you. :big grin:

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:19 pm

toddmc wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:05 am
Johnny A wrote:
toddmc wrote:
Let’s see em
That fancy art school degree really paid off! :lol: Nice work.
I owe it all to a matchbook turtle ...
Attachments
A961CEE9-6730-46A6-AEAC-62DC692DDE6D.jpeg
A961CEE9-6730-46A6-AEAC-62DC692DDE6D.jpeg (103.77 KiB) Viewed 5187 times

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeep » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:45 am

The manns baby-1minus is one of my favorite cranks ever. I've caught so many bass on those cranks and they work in certain lakes all year long. I wish they would bring back some of the old school colors. I found one that was in a bait shop by me that has been open for years. It was like a clear dark shaded shad color it was crazy how many bass I caught on that one. I still feel the loss of losing that little crank to this day :crying:

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:49 am

Jeep wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:45 am
The manns baby-1minus is one of my favorite cranks ever. I've caught so many bass on those cranks and they work in certain lakes all year long. I wish they would bring back some of the old school colors. I found one that was in a bait shop by me that has been open for years. It was like a clear dark shaded shad color it was crazy how many bass I caught on that one. I still feel the loss of losing that little crank to this day :crying:
My old white ones have a higher pitched glass-like sound for some reason. I don't know whether the plastic or the rattles are different. My other Baby 1-Minus baits have a rattle sound that is closer to the Evergreen CH-1. The Sharpied one above was old school solid white. I think that high pitched sound can be more effective at times. They all catch fish. :D

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:14 pm

Ouch, I hate losing precious baits. i do have a bunch of Mann's +1 lures including a 5/8 oz fire red, Let me know if you're interested. I'm not looking to make money, a few bucks + shipping is all I would ask. i don't crankbait fish that much anymore. Sorry for your loss.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:29 pm

eagleriver1_fish wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:14 pm
Ouch, I hate losing precious baits. i do have a bunch of Mann's +1 lures including a 5/8 oz fire red, Let me know if you're interested. I'm not looking to make money, a few bucks + shipping is all I would ask. i don't crankbait fish that much anymore. Sorry for your loss.
Thanks for the offer, but I've got my Evergreen back and I have 3 Baby 1-Minus baits. Mann's has a few newer colors that I saw on Tackle Warehouse that I may try.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:12 am

I have a Minus 1 that I painted solid black with a rattle can .... it’s caught me a ton of fish. The fish really don’t give a rat’s hindquarters about realistic scale patterns and such.