Lobina Rico

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Lobina Rico

Post by Bbrotz » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:52 am

I’ve been using the lobina Rico a lot these past couple years and it’s been a killer bait for me. I was wondering if anyone uses different hooks than the stock bronze Gamakatsu trebles. I was going to order some owner st-36s but was worried they would be heavier and change the action of the bait. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Lobina Rico

Post by Drakestar » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:11 am

Been changing hooks on my Ricos and Rico Ricos for a long time and never had any issues. It pops and (more importantly) walks just the same.

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:26 am

Drakestar wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:11 am
Been changing hooks on my Ricos and Rico Ricos for a long time and never had any issues. It pops and (more importantly) walks just the same.
Thanks Drakestar. What trebles do you prefer for replacements?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:03 pm

Bbrotz wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:26 am
Drakestar wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:11 am
Thanks Drakestar. What trebles do you prefer for replacements?
I've been pretty loose on it, used both Gamakatsu and Owner ST-36. Not sure if I have a favorite TBH, I think some have a red Gamakatsu in the front and a black Owner in the back :lol:

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:51 pm

I haven't had problems using Owner ST-36 trebles on any of the Japanese poppers. They are close enough.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:53 pm

I'm a long time fan of the Rico and use it regularly. The Owner STX58 series with ZO-WIRE to be an ideal replacement treble hook for the Rico, and quite a few other trebles. They are outstanding hooks.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:06 pm

Well I tried out the St-36s on a rico and have no complaints. Caught a bunch of fish and none came unbuttoned.

Thanks Gary, I placed an order for those Stx-58s so I will see how those work out

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:41 am

bronzefly wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:53 pm
I'm a long time fan of the Rico and use it regularly. The Owner STX58 series with ZO-WIRE to be an ideal replacement treble hook for the Rico, and quite a few other trebles. They are outstanding hooks.
So I just got them in the mail today. I ordered the size 6 to go on the Rico but they are bigger than the Gamakatsu size 6 trebles that come stock. Honestly they look like they would fit the Rio Rico a bit better. What size do you use on the smaller Rico?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:13 am

Bbrotz wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:41 am
bronzefly wrote:
So I just got them in the mail today. I ordered the size 6 to go on the Rico but they are bigger than the Gamakatsu size 6 trebles that come stock. Honestly they look like they would fit the Rio Rico a bit better. What size do you use on the smaller Rico?
I should have been more clear - I use the RIO Rico far more than the smaller Rico. The standard Owner ST-36 #6 is more comparable in size to the standard hooks on the small Rico. I use the STX 58 #4 on the full sized Rio Rico because certain times of the year, I may run into some toothy Walleye or large Stripers and those hooks are very strong and very sharp.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:31 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:13 am
Bbrotz wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
I should have been more clear - I use the RIO Rico far more than the smaller Rico. The standard Owner ST-36 #6 is more comparable in size to the standard hooks on the small Rico. I use the STX 58 #4 on the full sized Rio Rico because certain times of the year, I may run into some toothy Walleye or large Stripers and those hooks are very strong and very sharp.
Wait...you catch walleye on topwater??? I been trying for years. Not extensively trying, just long enough for me to get sick of catching small pike and then I head out to deeper water.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:12 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:31 pm
Wait...you catch walleye on topwater??? I been trying for years. Not extensively trying, just long enough for me to get sick of catching small pike and then I head out to deeper water.
Yes sir I do. Every spring there is a golden window of opportunity for a night time top water walleye bite. It’s during alewife spawn and everything is eating on top water. Stripers, smallmouth, largemouth, spots, and most definitely walleye. The sound they make when they eat a top water bait is distinct. I know when I hook one based on that alone. It’s a short lived thing but loads of fun when it happens.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:03 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:31 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:13 am
Bbrotz wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
I’ve caught walleye on topwaters also. At night, obviously, during NJ summer.