Specifially, OSP EX DR

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Specifially, OSP EX DR

Post by goldrod » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:14 am

I have several of the Blitz DR but in anticipation of the MB 2021 Tomahawk that I hope to receive soon, I have made a purchase of the some of these baits. I have some blitz Max but not the blitz Max dr, I dont fish as deep in reality as I do in my mind so I didnt want to get the blitz max dr but the EX-DR has a smaller body profile and I feel like it will be a good addition to my tackle box.

Anyone using the OSP Blitz EX-DR and like it?
I know its OSP so whats not to like but I am open to hear the positive and negative of this bait. And how to get the best out of it, maybe the rod I hope to get isn't the best for this bait. I use an X7 Extreme Mission for my Jackall TN50 and I can feel when the fish picks it up when the lure is just laying on the bottom, It has the length to work the fish and I would say 99.5% of the time I bring in the fish.. Now with my cork crucial cranking rod, its a step down in sensitivity and i catch them better on a cast and retrieve.
I'll see the line moving often times before feeling that the fish has picked up the lure.. I said all that to say that different setups aid or hinder with certain techniques
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Specifially, OSP EX DR

Post by Johnny A » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:17 pm

At the o-s-p.net website, under products, there are diagrams of how deep the baits run. Best I can tell, ex-dr and max dr run about the same depth, about 4 meters.
Personally, I’m actually reconsidering going back to graphite for deep crankbaits for detecting strikes. I’m extremely pleased with the Daiwa Signature Series Tatula rods, 7’ Tak, for shallow and medium running cranks. I think I would prefer detecting the strikes well enough to set the hook and worry about the losing it. I think I’m losing deep water fish because I’m not detecting the strike as well.
Honestly, I can’t think of any drawbacks about the O.S.P. crankbaits. The hooks are sharp. The baits run true. The finishes are done well. Their baits have gone above and beyond for me.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:54 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:17 pm
At the o-s-p.net website, under products, there are diagrams of how deep the baits run. Best I can tell, ex-dr and max dr run about the same depth, about 4 meters.
Personally, I’m actually reconsidering going back to graphite for deep crankbaits for detecting strikes. I’m extremely pleased with the Daiwa Signature Series Tatula rods, 7’ Tak, for shallow and medium running cranks. I think I would prefer detecting the strikes well enough to set the hook and worry about the losing it. I think I’m losing deep water fish because I’m not detecting the strike as well.
Honestly, I can’t think of any drawbacks about the O.S.P. crankbaits. The hooks are sharp. The baits run true. The finishes are done well. Their baits have gone above and beyond for me.

I’ve started a new job so time is weird for me but , I need to get on a crank bite.
Cranking sticks I have
Megabass deep throat custom (osp hpfs )
Megabass shallow fast moving special (square bills)

Which were upgrades from my cork crucial rod one Med( bandit 200) and on medium heavy (DT 3-6-10)
I have a Gen one cumara reaction stick which imho one of the best sticks bar none. Wish I had more. Sensitive as the hairs on the top of my ears

I have the st. Croix glass 7’4” rod. This really is a good rod (and one I hope the tomahawk meets and exceeds )but It eats cranks for breakfast. Traps or billed. It’s too long for my liking for square bills or bank fishing.
It’s nothing in a boat and of course light. I have a 100m on it or some TDZ variant.

So my cranking sticks are not a lot. I have a TDZ 103h waiting on the tomahawk. The osp are going to be a staple in my box
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:54 pm

Haven’t tried the EX DRs but the Max DRs are the #1 lure in my box. Those suckers are magic! I fish them on a XX Launcher and OG Zillion Crazy Cranker with 10lb big game. MONEY!!

BIGBOY
Angler
Angler

Post by BIGBOY » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:01 pm

Jorrick.. I REALLY like the EX DR. It’s definitely in my top 3 favorites. I’d recommend you try the max dr as well..it will be a performer on the St Johns.

Fishes a Bit
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Fishes a Bit » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:11 pm

I fish both of these lures and they seem to run about a foot difference in depth on both 10 and 12lb Tatsu. I’m not sure that my catch rate goes down from the EX with the Max as it’s still a fairly compact crankbait. If I could only throw one of the two, it would be the Max. I see it as a special lure in every metric. I do like having the smaller profile EX available, though.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:48 am

It would be nice if the EX DR or the Max DR were available in the Z-08 pattern.