Replacement hooks for Spybaits

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Replacement hooks for Spybaits

Post by Real » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:29 am

I'm having trouble with my Spybait hooks. They are small ( # 8), the get dull fairly quickly ( zebra mussels) and they don't stand up well to big smallmouth. Eventually I start loosing fish on the first jump. I've been using Mustad Ultra Point Shorts as replacements with some success. They last longer and stay sharp longer and don't break as much when using pliers to unhook fish. Any suggestions for a better replacement treble hook in this small size.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Replacement hooks for Spybaits

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:28 am

I think your hooks are fine. Try ditching the split rings and use a braided loop to connect the hook to your bait. Here's a good video on how to do it:

https://youtu.be/LLNJUthjL5E

If you're still set on changing hooks, try the Ichikawa 84S Light Wire. I also like tying on a couple of feathers to my back treble. The braided loop will improve your landing percentage substantially. Losing fish may also be due to the rod you're using. You want a limber rod like a 901 NRX or 7'6 light power Zodias. Both rods have a taper that will keep the fish hooked up.

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:13 am

Righ now I'm using a 7 foot light Zodias . I like a shorter rod for Spybaits but I have a 901 NRX and will give it a try. Braided loops, I don't know but I'm willing to try also. The hooks look good and they will be on my next order. I will see if they stand up to the conditions.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:54 am

I started using Gamakatsu #6 G Finesse trebles (same hooks I use for small jerkbaits). I expected size 6 to be too big, but they work very well - super sharp and lightweight. I don't have zebra mussels and can't vouch for their abrasion resistance, though.
Spybaits.jpg
Spybaits.jpg (79.24 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
Top: Lucky Craft Screw Pointer with stock hooks (I always replace those)
Middle: Screw pointer with #6 G Finesse hook replacement
Bottom: Duo Realis Spinbait with stock hooks (I sometimes replace those)

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:49 am

Duo stock hooks are quite durable and have good penetration. I like gamakatsu g finesses. They have better penetration but those may fare worse to zebra mussel abrasion
Long live the Jerkbait

JeremyWright
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by JeremyWright » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:33 pm

+1 for the Gamakatsu g-finesse trebles. One thing to keep in mind is that these hooks are offered in two different wire gauges, a tournament grade lighter wire, and a MH wire. The hooks in general are so dang sharp and sticky I end up using the MH almost exclusively - it's a tougher, more durable, stronger hook, that doesn't seem to sacrifice anything, especially on a spybait which is a sinking bait anyways. Nice to have when you have strong surging fish and tiny little trebles. TW and photos online show the MH hooks as having a lighter gray/silver finish, but they're really more of a dark gunmetal, same as the lighter wire version.

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:09 am

G Finesse trebles are fine hooks but I need # 8 and they are not available in that size ( at least not where I shop).
I use small baits ( Jackall I Prop ) and too heavy a hook kills the action. I ordered Kamakiri Lights and they seem OK. I will know in Spring.

JeremyWright
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by JeremyWright » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:39 pm

Ah, yes. The little Jackall is a fun bait - totally forgot about that one.

I think I have size 8 Owner st-38 (the zo wire one) on mine. I really like those 38s, and the shape of the shank helps keep fish pinned. Let us know what you end up with!