What's Your Old Lure that Still Catches Bass?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

What's Your Old Lure that Still Catches Bass?

Post by MK49 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:32 pm

I don't really want to talk about this, because I like to keep it secret. But, here it goes. I bought a Heddon Meadow Mouse around 1980. I didn't really use it, until around 2010. I saw Megabass making a copy of the Meadow Mouse, so I started using it. It's actually a great wake bait. Only things I did was adding a split rings, replacing hooks, adjusting the angle of the bill and the tail (longer than the original.)

It still catches fish, especially, when other topwater baits don't get a bite. I've bought 6 or 7 Meadow Mouse on eBay, but I'm still using the same one that I bought in 1980.

What's your old lure that 99% of people don't use today?
Last edited by MK49 on Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What's Your Old Lure that Still Catches Bass?

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:27 pm

A bigger sized jointed black Jitterbug. I replace the rear hook with a single long shank single and run a black/purple floating worm on it to resemble a mouse tail. It still hits em good in ponds.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:36 am

Black jitterbug here. Big bass slay this lure. I'll always have one in my box.
Philippians 4:6

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:20 pm

Rapala Minnow Spoon Weedless. I admit the hookup ratio isn't that great but, when they be biting, they be biting. :lol:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:58 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:20 pm
Rapala Minnow Spoon Weedless. I admit the hookup ratio isn't that great but, when they be biting, they be biting. :lol:
Yeah, reminds of how effective the Johnson Silver Minnow spoon was...seems that since Uncle Josh Pork Rinds went defunct there aren't a lot of trailers that pair well with this classic lure anymore.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:10 pm

I have some older spinnerbaits with hammered silver Colorado blades. Not even sure of the maker(not that it matters since so similar). However I can fish right behind someone with these older spinnerbaits and get bit. No one is using that style anymore. Oh and white is the go to skirt color.

flipper502
Angler
Angler

Post by flipper502 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:05 pm

The larger black jitterbug is tops but all of them work when a more subtle presentation is needed.