Your Confidence Lure

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Your Confidence Lure

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:43 am

Mepps/Mapso/Ilba spinner in the Aglia or Comet style - size depending on target fish. Single hook if plenty of vegetation, otherwise with treble.
You can fish it shallow and semi-deep depending on retrieve speed and how you hold the rod.
Works in streams, rivers, lakes, ocean - and all over the world.
Will catch almost any predatory freshwater fish - and many saltwater.

Super easy to use, and any newbie can have success, but it takes experience and skill to perfect spinner fishing.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:03 pm

Agreed, if I want to just catch a fish, a Mepps squirrel tail #1-#2 Aglia in silver blade or gold, does the job almost always without fail.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sbd3 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:01 pm

MK49, I've been using walking lures a lot lately with limited success, would you mind sharing a few of your most productive retrieve cadences and how you select which one to use?

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:03 pm

sbd3 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:01 pm
MK49, I've been using walking lures a lot lately with limited success, would you mind sharing a few of your most productive retrieve cadences and how you select which one to use?
I have my normal speed of walking the dog. I don't stop it, just keep it walking. If I don't get a bite, I would go faster, kind of like what Takahiro Omori did, when he won a Bassmaster Elite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49BLbALNfBs If I still don't get a bite, I go slower with pause every once in a while. And, mix them all. But, I normally get bites with my normal speed. I think in the same Elite video, John Crews was catching fish with a walker, too. I don't go that slow. He's fishing super slowly. I would use a popper for that kind of fishing. But, he did catch fish. :)

When I make a cast to where I think bass is at, I don't start walking it for a few seconds, then twitch once or twice, and I would usually get a bite, if the fish is there.

Another thing is that when a bass misses the walker, don't stop, keep it walking. Don't even slow down. The same fish will hit it again, most of the time. This has happened many times. A fish missed a walker once, twice or even three times. I just throw it again, start walking it immediately, and the same fish hit it again. I saw a Roland Martin YouTube video the other day. He said always keep a Senko as a backup, when a fish misses topwater lure. I understand that it would work, but why not throw the same topwater bait again? That's what I always do, and I normally catch them.

I'll tell you what works for me, and if you keep throwing them, I'm sure you would catch fish.

1. Megabass Giant Dog X (the best, when it's not too windy.)
2. Evergreen Shower Blows 105 (Better than Giant Dog X, when it's windy.)
3. Duo Realis Pencil 110 (works better than the above in the middle of a day. It's bigger.)
4. Heddon Original Zara Spook (this works as good as the Duo Realis, when I don't want the one knocker sound, which Duo Realis has.) The thing with the Zara Spook is that you might miss more fish, after you hook them. Adding split rings and replacing hooks will make it better.

I own probably 60+ different walkers, but I could live with these four. Most of the time, I just try a new one, and if I don't like it, I wouldn't use it again. But, I have to keep trying new ones, just in case.

Here's a bonus stage. I'm also a big fan of poppers. These work for me, and I also own about 50 different poppers. Before you waste your money like I did, try these first.

1. Rio Rico (I caught more bass than any other poppers, or probably any other lures, including a couple of 10 pounders.)
2. Evergreen One's Bug (probably, the best overall.)
3. Megabass Pop X (for finesse.)
4. Lucky Craft S8 Poppoer (for the best walking popper, and also finesse.)

I have big confidence in these walkers and poppers. I've caught four 10 pounders with Rio Rico and Giant Dog X, and many fish over 8lbs. I've probably caught over 5,000 bass with those two. I do believe topwater normally catches bigger fish. Only thing that might catch bigger fish is jerkbaits. I've caught my PB, a 12 pounder with a jerkbait. I hooked the biggest bass (most likely over 12lbs) with a jerkbait. I didn't land that one, so it doesn't count, but I think it was bigger than my PB.

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sbd3 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:50 am

MK49 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:03 pm
sbd3 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:01 pm
I have my normal speed of walking the dog. I don't stop it, just keep it walking. If I don't get a bite, I would go faster, kind of like what Takahiro Omori did, when he won a Bassmaster Elite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49BLbALNfBs If I still don't get a bite, I go slower with pause every once in a while. And, mix them all. But, I normally get bites with my normal speed. I think in the same Elite video, John Crews was catching fish with a walker, too. I don't go that slow. He's fishing super slowly. I would use a popper for that kind of fishing. But, he did catch fish. :)

When I make a cast to where I think bass is at, I don't start walking it for a few seconds, then twitch once or twice, and I would usually get a bite, if the fish is there.

Another thing is that when a bass misses the walker, don't stop, keep it walking. Don't even slow down. The same fish will hit it again, most of the time. This has happened many times. A fish missed a walker once, twice or even three times. I just throw it again, start walking it immediately, and the same fish hit it again. I saw a Roland Martin YouTube video the other day. He said always keep a Senko as a backup, when a fish misses topwater lure. I understand that it would work, but why not throw the same topwater bait again? That's what I always do, and I normally catch them.

I'll tell you what works for me, and if you keep throwing them, I'm sure you would catch fish.

1. Megabass Giant Dog X (the best, when it's not too windy.)
2. Evergreen Shower Blows 105 (Better than Giant Dog X, when it's windy.)
3. Duo Realis Pencil 110 (works better than the above in the middle of a day. It's bigger.)
4. Heddon Original Zara Spook (this works as good as the Duo Realis, when I don't want the one knocker sound, which Duo Realis has.) The thing with the Zara Spook is that you might miss more fish, after you hook them. Adding split rings and replacing hooks will make it better.

I own probably 60+ different walkers, but I could live with these four. Most of the time, I just try a new one, and if I don't like it, I wouldn't use it again. But, I have to keep trying new ones, just in case.

Here's a bonus stage. I'm also a big fan of poppers. These work for me, and I also own about 50 different poppers. Before you waste your money like I did, try these first.

1. Rio Rico (I caught more bass than any other poppers, or probably any other lures, including a couple of 10 pounders.)
2. Evergreen One's Bug (probably, the best overall.)
3. Megabass Pop X (for finesse.)
4. Lucky Craft S8 Poppoer (for the best walking popper, and also finesse.)

I have big confidence in these walkers and poppers. I've caught four 10 pounders with Rio Rico and Giant Dog X, and many fish over 8lbs. I've probably caught over 5,000 bass with those two. I do believe topwater normally catches bigger fish. Only thing that might catch bigger fish is jerkbaits. I've caught my PB, a 12 pounder with a jerkbait. I hooked the biggest bass (most likely over 12lbs) with a jerkbait. I didn't land that one, so it doesn't count, but I think it was bigger than my PB.
Thanks, appreciate the info, I’ll keep at it.