Old Lures

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Old Lures

Post by MK49 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:09 pm

Isn't it cool to catch some fish with lures that you bought, when you were a kid? It depends on your age, obviously. But, I bought these, when I was about 10, which is 40 years ago. The only one that I still use regularly is the Heddon Meadow Mouse, which is a great wake bait. I haven't used the other ones for at least 30 years. I'm going to take them next time, although I'm not sure if I'm going to use them. I don't want to lose them. That's for sure.

From top to bottom,

- Daiwa Beer Can (don't remember the real name.)
- Bomber Popper
- Heddon Meadow Mouse (actually, one of my secret baits.)
- Rapala Fat Rap
- Rapara Fat Rap

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Old Lures

Post by MK49 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:44 pm

OK, I fished for a couple hours in the morning. The topwater bite wasn't happening. That's kind of weird, because I had about 15 topwater bites a few days ago. The weather was a bit different, though.

Anyway, the Daiwa beer can lure is completely different from the Heddon Budweiser. I thought if it works like a Lucky 13 without diving much, it could be a good wake bait like the Heddon Bud. I was totally wrong. It's really more like a Lucky 13, except it didn't swim like a Lucky 13. That's probably because I added a Colorado blade to make it more like the Heddon Bud. It has some potential. I'll have to mod it again.

Then, I tried the Bomber Popper. This was great. It's really like a Lucky 13, but it's a better popper, and it swims like a real crankbait, well almost, when just reel it in. It dives less than a foot. It's a topwater bait, which could dive a little, and fish like a crankbait, if needed. This could be a better version of Lucky 13, which I also like. They can be fished the same way. The frog color isn't my favorite, so I just ordered a silver one with black back on eBay.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:01 pm

I don't exactly remember, but some of the very first few artificial lures I bought were Rebel Popper and Rapala Floating Minnow. I was still a bobber fisherman then. Curly tail grubs, feather and Marabou jigs, inline spinner were straight forward uses. Eventually I used spoons like Kastmaster, Mepps Syclops, Daredevils.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:40 am

A couple of weeks ago, my father and I lost our last Sutton Flutter Spoon to a large steelhead. It's a paper thin spoon that we use on a slider line (free floats on the downrigger rod - allows an extra lure on the same rod). I found out my dad was using 20 year old 20 lb Berkley Vanish for the leader line. I told him to throw that crap away a long time ago. He finally did. Berkley Vanish, where the fish and your lure vanish.

I started hunting down more of these lures, and it took a while to understand how to purchase them. The Sutton Company of Naples, NY was founded in 1867. I found their Facebook page, and hunted down a photo of all their spoon sizes, since I had no clue what spoon size to order. It's an old school store (historical site), and I had to call them to place an order.

I was happy to be able to find more of these flutter spoons, and research about this old family owned tackle company/store.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:57 pm

Schlag wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:40 am
A couple of weeks ago, my father and I lost our last Sutton Flutter Spoon to a large steelhead. It's a paper thin spoon that we use on a slider line (free floats on the downrigger rod - allows an extra lure on the same rod). I found out my dad was using 20 year old 20 lb Berkley Vanish for the leader line. I told him to throw that crap away a long time ago. He finally did. Berkley Vanish, where the fish and your lure vanish.

I started hunting down more of these lures, and it took a while to understand how to purchase them. The Sutton Company of Naples, NY was founded in 1867. I found their Facebook page, and hunted down a photo of all their spoon sizes, since I had no clue what spoon size to order. It's an old school store (historical site), and I had to call them to place an order.

I was happy to be able to find more of these flutter spoons, and research about this old family owned tackle company/store.

Dig it Mango.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:20 pm

Schlag wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:40 am

A really cool story. I've always liked hearing a story like this.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:32 pm

The Rapala Fat Rap (the bottom one in the first post) has been catching some bass in the last few weeks, when other crankbaits didn't get a bite. That's pretty cool. It's my #1 shallow crank at the moment.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:19 am

These long discontinued Rebel Deep wee R’s still get bit …
Attachments
0534B004-A678-4C8F-AB0B-4F8A0B4425EC.jpeg
0534B004-A678-4C8F-AB0B-4F8A0B4425EC.jpeg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 2387 times

flipper502
Angler
Angler

Post by flipper502 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:22 pm

Deep Wee R is one of my favorites. I still have some I picked up a Kmart in the early 80's.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:08 pm

I didn't use the Heddon Meadow Mouse in the last 2 months, because I saw many little shads, and figured bass must be eating those. Last week, I didn't see many shads, so this morning, I started using the Meadow Mouse again. It didn't disappoint me. Caught one in the 2nd cast, and caught two more in the next 15min. I'll keep using it, until they stop hitting topwater lures.

I actually kind of retired my original 40+ years old Meadow Mouse, just because I don't want to lose it. I've bought 7 or 8 Meadow Mouse from the same era on eBay, and did the same mods on all of them. I just started using one of them today.

It's pretty funny, though. Sometimes, people ask me how the fishing went. I tell them I caught some fish on this, and show them the Meadow Mouse. Most of them are like WTF? I think at least half of them think I was lying or kidding.