Floating DD Jerkbaits

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Floating DD Jerkbaits

Post by reason162 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:29 pm

I have a few Pointer 78DDs that float like corks - was mad when I bought them but now I use them in a different application.

Anyone have suggestions on quality 80 - 110mm sized deep diver floaters? I need a long bill, casting from shore in saltwater, but I want that erratic freshwater JB action. TIA.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Floating DD Jerkbaits

Post by Drakestar » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:52 pm

Just buy some lead strips (i.e. Storm SuspenStrips) and balance them out. I ways expect my jerkbaits yo float, different water temps mean different water density and thus different suspension characteristics on the day. At least floating can be fixed, hard to right a sinking jerkbait :) (You need to downsize hooks etc.)

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:10 pm

Duo Realis Fangbait 80DR and 100DR. They are all wire through, super durable bait that casts phenomenal. Not cheap though and hard to find in state. I actually fish mine like deep cranks but they are designed for SW and amazon fishing.
Long live the Jerkbait

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:16 am

hmnginmn wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:10 pm
Duo Realis Fangbait 80DR and 100DR. They are all wire through, super durable bait that casts phenomenal. Not cheap though and hard to find in state. I actually fish mine like deep cranks but they are designed for SW and amazon fishing.
I have the 100DR - great bait! but I was looking more responsive, bass-oriented JBs. Ended up picking out a few lighter individuals from my box, including a couple of jackall squirrel DDs that I fear losing since they are discontinued.

Sized down the split rings and replaced the rear treble with an inline single - the float rate is pretty good.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:49 am

There are some really good +1 blanks out there that are weighted differently(steel vs. tungsten) so they float faster than the original. Great action, they turn and dart like the real thing, cast great and haven’t had any issues catching fish. Still would need to get them painted, but should be less than $10 all in with a simple paint job.

Jaqa
Angler
Angler

Post by Jaqa » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:21 pm

Have a look at the Bassday Shaker 75 & 85 KO's. (The original is long out of production). It is used extensively in SE Asia mangroves for SW fish. Might be the most common SW casting deep diver in that region. I like the Revoltz Gangstar and Kanai versions. Uses tungsten casting system, strong enough for PNG black bass.