Any Good Newer Topwater Lures?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Any Good Newer Topwater Lures?

Post by MK49 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:47 pm

I bought a dozen of new (to me) topwater baits this year, and none of them caught fish. The fishing is super tough this year, but the same old lures like Megabass Giant Dog X, Evergreen Shower Blows, Heddon Meadow Mouse, Lucky Craft Gun Fish, OSP Yamato Jr, Paycheck Repo Man, Daiwa TD Pencil... still catch fish. Those are the baits that I've been using for at least 10 years, up to 25~30 years.

Have you found any relatively new good topwater baits? I haven't found any. The newest ones that work for me are Shower Blows 105 and Yamato Jr, which came out about 12 years ago.

The list of the newer lures I bought in this year.

- Booyah Prank
- Berkley Cane Walker
- Evergreen Shower Blows 77.7 (105 is great.)
- Evergreen JT
- Imakatsu Metal Mouse
- Yo-zuri 3DB Popper
- Yo-zuri 3DB Prop
- Spro Cyclone Prop Jr
- River2Sea Whopper Plopper 90 (I've been using the bigger one for at least 10 years.)
- Duo Realis Pencil 100 (I've been using the 110 for about 12 years. And, it's one of my favorites, but 100 is different.)
- Fish Lab Bio Shad
- Storm Arashi Cover Pop
- Bagley Pro Sunny Prop

I haven't even gotten a bite on these, except one bite on the small Whopper Plopper. Some of them, especially Evergreen JT look and move pretty good, and I should catch fish, but I haven't. I started feeling like I should stop buying newer lures. But, that sucks, because it's always cool to find new favorite baits.

Oh, BTW, I've heard the walking baits are very unpupular now in Japan. Maybe, that's why Japanese companies stopped designing new walking baits? They do release smaller sizes, but not many new walking baits. Or, it's basically the same old baits, and not much more to improve?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Any Good Newer Topwater Lures?

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:02 am

MK49 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:47 pm
I bought a dozen of new (to me) topwater baits this year, and none of them caught fish. The fishing is super tough this year, but the same old lures like Megabass Giant Dog X, Evergreen Shower Blows, Heddon Meadow Mouse, Lucky Craft Gun Fish, OSP Yamato Jr, Paycheck Repo Man, Daiwa TD Pencil... still catch fish. Those are the baits that I've been using for at least 10 years, up to 25~30 years.

Have you found any relatively new good topwater baits? I haven't found any. The newest ones that work for me are Shower Blows 105 and Yamato Jr, which came out about 12 years ago.

The list of the newer lures I bought in this year.

- Booyah Prank
- Berkley Cane Walker
- Evergreen Shower Blows 77.7 (105 is great.)
- Evergreen JT
- Imakatsu Metal Mouse
- Yo-zuri 3DB Popper
- Yo-zuri 3DB Prop
- Spro Cyclone Prop Jr
- River2Sea Whopper Plopper 90 (I've been using the bigger one for at least 10 years.)
- Duo Realis Pencil 100 (I've been using the 110 for about 12 years. And, it's one of my favorites, but 100 is different.)
- Fish Lab Bio Shad
- Storm Arashi Cover Pop
- Bagley Pro Sunny Prop

I haven't even gotten a bite on these, except one bite on the small Whopper Plopper. Some of them, especially Evergreen JT look and move pretty good, and I should catch fish, but I haven't. I started feeling like I should stop buying newer lures. But, that sucks, because it's always cool to find new favorite baits.

Oh, BTW, I've heard the walking baits are very unpupular now in Japan. Maybe, that's why Japanese companies stopped designing new walking baits? They do release smaller sizes, but not many new walking baits. Or, it's basically the same old baits, and not much more to improve?
I have really enjoyed the newest smallest size Whopper Plopper. The river system I fish does well with smaller lures and a lot of regular sized topwaters don't get any attention.

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sbd3 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:08 am

I find wake baits to be a very effective and under utilized category of topwater that might be worth exploring, especially larger than typical lures like the black dog shell cracker and rats in the 1-2oz sizes

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:30 am

Not necessarily new, but the Megabass I Wing 135 has been productive for me...on a lake that traditionally isn't a topwater lake.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:45 am

Deps evoke 120
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:14 pm

Googan Revolver
Not kidding - European Pike love them. Heavier than advertised: 1oz instead of 1/2 and runs more stable than the whopper plopper. Also the spinning part tends to catch less weed and fine algae and therefore spins more reliably.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:00 pm

Too many for me to list. I love top water baits, especially rare ones.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:29 pm

sbd3 wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:08 am
I find wake baits to be a very effective and under utilized category of topwater that might be worth exploring, especially larger than typical lures like the black dog shell cracker and rats in the 1-2oz sizes
Interesting. I actually have one or two Black Dog Shell Cracker and a few rats. I bought them about 15 years ago. I was into big wake baits for night fishing for a short period of time. I mostly used 12" trout wake baits, and caught some good fish.

I might want to try them again, but those aren't new. :) My favorite wake bait is actually a 40 years old Heddon Meadow Mouse, which isn't new, either. :lol:

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:29 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:00 pm
Come on. List at least a few. :)

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:43 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:30 am
Not necessarily new, but the Megabass I Wing 135 has been productive for me...on a lake that traditionally isn't a topwater lake.
Thanks for the input. This is exactly what's happening in Japan, or at least, that's what I heard. The younger Japanese bass fishermen want something easy to work, like this one, Whopper Propper or Spy Bait. Walking the dog is too much work for them. This Megabass is basically an improved version of Crazy Crawler, and looks like every Japanese company has one of those now.

That said, the last time I used Crazy Crawler was 40 years ago. Maybe, I should try one of those.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:50 pm

MK49 wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:29 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Some of my favorites -
OSP Louder
Megabass I-wing
Luxxe Avenge Prop
OSP Dai Buzzin
Raid Two Side
Jackall Micro Tappy and SK Pop Grande

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:44 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:50 pm
MK49 wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:29 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Some of my favorites -
OSP Louder
Megabass I-wing
Luxxe Avenge Prop
OSP Dai Buzzin
Raid Two Side
Jackall Micro Tappy and SK Pop Grande
Thanks. I've been using the OSP Dai Buzzin and the smaller one, I think it's called Buzzin Crank for over 10 years. They're my #2 wake bait. My #1 wake bait is the Heddon Meadow Mouse. But, this thing works only at some lakes for some reasons.

I'm not familiar with other lures that you listed, so I'll check them out.

Thanks

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:29 pm

BTW, I used a Yo-zuri 3DB Pencil and a Pencil Popper this morning for the first time (I just bought them last week.) Although I didn't get a bite, they did move and sound pretty good. I'm sure these will catch bass, when the fishing gets better. The Pencil Popper is very similar to the Shower Blows. It doesn't turn and splash as much as the Shower Blows, but under some conditions, it could work better. I really like them.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:12 pm

You need to add the C'ultiva Zip N Ziggy....it is a much more refined Zara Puppy, super sharp hooks, better finishes and colors, casts better, and great action.

And catches'em guud!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:47 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:12 pm
You need to add the C'ultiva Zip N Ziggy....it is a much more refined Zara Puppy, super sharp hooks, better finishes and colors, casts better, and great action.

And catches'em guud!
Yeah, this is a great bait. I still have some from several years ago.