Any Good Newer Topwater Lures?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Any Good Newer Topwater Lures?

Post by MK49 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:16 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:12 pm
You need to add the C'ultiva Zip N Ziggy....it is a much more refined Zara Puppy, super sharp hooks, better finishes and colors, casts better, and great action.

And catches'em guud!
Thanks. It's the one from Owner, right? I have one of those for 20 years or so. I haven't used it for at least 15 years. I'll try to use it again. But, it's not new, unless I'm thinking about a different lure. I think it's as old as a Megabass Giant Dog X, which came out about 25 years ago.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:39 pm

MK49 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:16 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:12 pm
You need to add the C'ultiva Zip N Ziggy....it is a much more refined Zara Puppy, super sharp hooks, better finishes and colors, casts better, and great action.

And catches'em guud!

Thanks. It's the one from Owner, right? I have one of those for 20 years or so. I haven't used it for at least 15 years. I'll try to use it again. But, it's not new, unless I'm thinking about a different lure. I think it's as old as a Megabass Giant Dog X, which came out about 25 years ago.

Nope definitely not new, but missing on your list of ones that just plain work. And yes, it's made by Owner
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sbd3 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:15 am

That new zman hellraizer looks interesting.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:54 am

I just discovered the Jackall Bounty Fish and I’m expecting a bunch of it. Soft plastic weedless walking bait (rig with a 6/0 to 8/0) with a two-joint body (connected via mesh). You can fish it anywhere you’d throw a frog, but get a baitfish profile instead of the frog that slinks along as you walk it.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:02 pm

Ima Finesse Popper. Yes when finesse is tactic.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:16 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:02 pm
Yessir...my longest smallies (20" and 21") to date in TN were caught on these relatively inexpensive baits. One on the perch color and the other on the real ghost shad.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:31 am

slipperybob wrote:
I just checked it out. Sounds like it can replace my old favorite, Lucky Craft S8 Popper, which I still use. The Ima is 3/8oz, so that's good. The S8 is 1/4oz, and it doesn't cast as good as the Evergreen One's Bug (3/8oz), which is also my favorite. Sounds like the Ima walks like the S8.

Thanks

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:02 pm

MK49 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:31 am
slipperybob wrote:
I just checked it out. Sounds like it can replace my old favorite, Lucky Craft S8 Popper, which I still use. The Ima is 3/8oz, so that's good. The S8 is 1/4oz, and it doesn't cast as good as the Evergreen One's Bug (3/8oz), which is also my favorite. Sounds like the Ima walks like the S8.

Thanks
I actually also fish the Ima Finesse Popper with a tiny snap...it walks great and has a quieter bloop and also spits as well.

I just picked up three NIP shad/shiner colored Xcalibur Zell Pops, 1 x Z2 1/4 oz and 2 x Z3 3/8 oz...Zell's design spits more and still walks great. I know that Booyah has the rights now to the Xcalibur lineup and their current Zell model popper is supposed to be a carbon copy, but for $12 each, I'm glad I got some of the Xcalibur OG Zell pops.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:46 pm

And just about right on cue...all Zip N Ziggy baits are sold out on TW. Lol.

BTW, the 3/8 Xcalibur Zell Z3 is noticeably larger/beefier and a tad heavier than the same 3/8 rated Ima Finesse Popper. I had forgotten how chunky this model Pop R was having not fished one for many years.

The Xcalibur Zell Z2 looks awesome and strikes me as a true 1/4 oz sized bait.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:33 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:46 pm

BTW, the 3/8 Xcalibur Zell Z3 is noticeably larger/beefier and a tad heavier than the same 3/8 rated Ima Finesse Popper. I had forgotten how chunky this model Pop R was having not fished one for many years.

Now, you're talking about good old lures. :D

I went fishing in the morning. Had about 10 topwater bites. I spend some of the prime time with newer topwater lures. If I didn't do that, I could have had more bites. At least, I caught my first Berkley Choppo fish. I've caught fish on Whopper Ploppers, but the Choppo is new to me. The rest of the bites were on the same old Giant Dog X, TD Pencil and Gunfish.

Just realized I've been using the TD Pencil for 30 years. It was my favorite topwater bait in the early 90s. Stopped using it for a while, but started using it again. Still works. :)
Last edited by MK49 on Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:26 pm

MK49 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:33 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:46 pm

Now, you're talking about good old lures. :D

I went fishing in the morning. Had about 10 topwater bites. I spend some of the prime time with newer topwater lures. If I didn't do that, I could have had more bites. At least, I caught my first Berkley Choppo fish. I've caught fish on Whopper Proppers, but the Choppo is new to me. The rest of the bites were on the same old Giant Dog X, TD Pencil and Gunfish.

Just realized I've been using the TD Pencil for 30 years. It was my favorite topwater bait in the early 90s. Stopped using it for a while, but started using it again. Still works. :)
The TD popper 65 and Team Daiwa Pop Zero are both still very much in my arsenal as useful and effective poppers. I like the TP Popper 65 when drifting in current (as it sits tail down and fish have more to see and attack) or when I get to fish it slower with a traditional pop, pop-pop, pop-pop-pop cadence. The Pop Zero is great for walking and for quick tiny spit/pop combinations when small minnows and baitfish are present. I actually fish the Pop Zero with a size 0 snap.

So many fun and legendary topwaters out there, it's going to be hard to follow in these footsteps for newer stuff. If I had to pick a newer Topwater that has been superb, I would say the larger Shower Blows.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:23 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:26 pm
So many fun and legendary topwaters out there, it's going to be hard to follow in these footsteps for newer stuff. If I had to pick a newer Topwater that has been superb, I would say the larger Shower Blows.
That's what this thread is about. My newest favorite lure is the smaller Shower Blows 105, which is over 10 years old. Not new. :lol: The original (larger) Shower Blows is even 1 or 2 years older.

That said, I just can't stop buying newer topwater lures. Most of them just don't give me enough confidence to keep using over the old confidence baits. I'm just hoping to find one or two newer baits that's as good or better than my old favorites.

Oh, I forgot to mention, but a Duo Realis Pencil (3/4oz) is my favorite, and it's as new as the Shower Blows, which means it's not new. They started making smaller ones, and I've tried the 1/2oz and the 3/8oz versions. I didn't like them much.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:53 pm

Hmmmm...I may have to try that Duo Realis Pencil in the 3/4 oz. Thanks for the heads up!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:38 am

The CAST Fishing Company "OG" in particular has been amazing. Figuring out how to fish it is part of the fun because its so different. I've caught them on their "Down Under" as well, but that OG is an absolute blast and can cover some serious water.

The reintroduced Reaction Innovations Vixen is also great to see back. I've done well with the new version after years of being a hard core user of the original. Bone, Lush, and a few new colors will be in stock at The Tackle Trap on Monday morning Sept. 26 including the long awaited chrome bait that looks incredible...

www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:38 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:38 am
The CAST Fishing Company "OG" in particular has been amazing. Figuring out how to fish it is part of the fun because its so different. I've caught them on their "Down Under" as well, but that OG is an absolute blast and can cover some serious water.

The reintroduced Reaction Innovations Vixen is also great to see back. I've done well with the new version after years of being a hard core user of the original. Bone, Lush, and a few new colors will be in stock at The Tackle Trap on Monday morning Sept. 26 including the long awaited chrome bait that looks incredible...

That chrome does look nice 👍🏾
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible