Blade Baits

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Blade Baits

Post by PotatoLake » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:31 pm

I recently had a pretty good day throwing an OSP Over Ride 3/8 oz blade bait for largemouth in my county lake. It got me wondering, what is everyone's favorite blade bait? Do you throw 1/2 oz or some other size? Hopping or straight retrieve?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Blade Baits

Post by Drakestar » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:07 pm

Damiki Vault and Jackall Keeburn mostly for me. Megabass Vibration X Dyna in cold water (it has less action). Weight depends on how deep the fish are, 3/8oz but 1/2oz is better in 20+ feet of water. I know they can be straight-retrieved, but I've always yo-yoed them for a fluttering fall.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:49 pm

Binsky catches them great, I used to pop smallies, trout, and a few largies in open water ice pockets (in some ponds at South Platte in CO) every year jigging the 3/8 and 1/2 oz models in 7-12 foot flats. The 1/4 oz is also a great finesse bait for perch and walleyes when they are on a smaller baitfish pattern.

The only issue with the Binsky is that the hooks, while sharp, are not durable and won't hold a point long, and the finish just sucks.

Heddon Sonars are also cheaper and work just fine, and come in a good selection of colors. These are effective and are akin to the Bill Lewis Rat'L Trap among the lipless category. I caught a massive gizzard shad on a fire tiger painted 1/2 oz Sonar years ago that was over three pounds! Lol. My last fish caught in Colorado before I left the state was a fat late winter 3.5lb smallie while bottom jigging a 1/2 silver Sonar.

I love the Damiki Vault as well, but it doesn't jig as well regardless of which eyelet is used... although it burns great and has excellent quality.

Norisada custom blade baits are bread and butter workhorses up North and NW and to me, are a better made "Sonar" type bait.

Original Silver Buddy still crushes massive walleyes, smallies, and spots every year since its inception.

Glad to see you found the magic and timeless effectiveness of metal lures like the blade baits.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:02 am

Norisada? Now that’s one I’ve not heard of and will certainly check out. The Jackal Keeburn and the Knocking Jaw are on my radar. I’ve lost quite a few of these to the bottom of the lake so it’s good to try a few out and have backups. I watched a few videos of Japanese anglers fishing a 1/4 oz, pretty shallow and reeling it at a pretty good pace. It looked like it could be an effective approach. Might give it a spin as winter comes rolling in. We don’t tend to get a ton of ice over here in Missouri.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:34 pm

PotatoLake wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:02 am
Norisada? Now that’s one I’ve not heard of and will certainly check out. The Jackal Keeburn and the Knocking Jaw are on my radar. I’ve lost quite a few of these to the bottom of the lake so it’s good to try a few out and have backups. I watched a few videos of Japanese anglers fishing a 1/4 oz, pretty shallow and reeling it at a pretty good pace. It looked like it could be an effective approach. Might give it a spin as winter comes rolling in. We don’t tend to get a ton of ice over here in Missouri.
You can also snip off one of the barbs to cut down on snags, or just go with two single siwash style hooks like they do on saltwater lures.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."