What shad lure are throwing besides a shad rap?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What shad lure are throwing besides a shad rap?

Post by Craiger12 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:34 am

reason162 wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:17 am
Craiger12 wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:28 am
I might have to look into a ML casting rod with a regular fast action to present smaller cranks like these. Maybe there is something in the JDM Expride lineup πŸ€”
The poison adrena 67L BFS is perfect for all the IXI shads, and the Z1 - Z2 as well. I suspect the Zodias 68L BFS will do a similar job - med/fast tapers that bend smoothly to keep fish pinned on tiny trebles/singles -
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnkgZxhM ... _copy_link
So you prefer to throw these little cranks on L BFS rods as opposed to ML? Do you ever feel underpowered on the deeper diving models?

Also, how do you like the Z1 and Z2 cranks and when would you choose them over the IxI Shads? I was looking into those as well.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:54 am

Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:34 am
So you prefer to throw these little cranks on L BFS rods as opposed to ML? Do you ever feel underpowered on the deeper diving models?
Also, how do you like the Z1 and Z2 cranks and when would you choose them over the IxI Shads? I was looking into those as well.
I think it depends on the taper - a glass comp M or ML will throw the IXI and Zs just fine. In fact I was throwing them from shore on 12lb sniper zillion SV TW and a rebellion 7M-glass and it's perfectly doable due to that magical LBO transfer, just not as fun as a dedicated L-ML cranking setup.

I originally got the Poison Adrena 67L for small jerkbaits like the x-nanahans but it turned out to be a better finesse cranking rod, it's definitely on the lighter end of the spectrum and you can go heavier. Your Expride 72ML is a bit fast for cranking in general tho - I use that rod for 3/8 -1/2oz jerkbaits like the pointer 78 - vision 110s and I think it works great for that.

I mostly fish deep clear lakes for smallmouth, so I'll start with the ixi type 3 and TX then a little warmer water I'll mix in the z2. They are somewhat interchangeable for me once the water temps reach 50 in the Spring. The z2 is one of the liveliest hard bottom contact CBs I've seen...the way it ricochets off rocks with that high frequency shimmy is pretty unique and def catches them. But you have to consider the $20 price tag on these little cranks vs. pike/pickerel and snags!

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:52 pm

Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:54 am
I think it depends on the taper - a glass comp M or ML will throw the IXI and Zs just fine. In fact I was throwing them from shore on 12lb sniper zillion SV TW and a rebellion 7M-glass and it's perfectly doable due to that magical LBO transfer, just not as fun as a dedicated L-ML cranking setup.

I originally got the Poison Adrena 67L for small jerkbaits like the x-nanahans but it turned out to be a better finesse cranking rod, it's definitely on the lighter end of the spectrum and you can go heavier. Your Expride 72ML is a bit fast for cranking in general tho - I use that rod for 3/8 -1/2oz jerkbaits like the pointer 78 - vision 110s and I think it works great for that.

I mostly fish deep clear lakes for smallmouth, so I'll start with the ixi type 3 and TX then a little warmer water I'll mix in the z2. They are somewhat interchangeable for me once the water temps reach 50 in the Spring. The z2 is one of the liveliest hard bottom contact CBs I've seen...the way it ricochets off rocks with that high frequency shimmy is pretty unique and def catches them. But you have to consider the $20 price tag on these little cranks vs. pike/pickerel and snags!
I actually used the 72ML+ to throw the Vision 110 all spring last year and I thought it worked great, but the length just made jerking too uncomfortable and I've since picked up the 610M Expride B.

If I do well with these little MB cranks on my main lake this spring I will certainly be looking to hone the gear I use. For now I'm going to give it a go the 72ML+ despite the extra fast action bc it's what I have on hand. I also ordered a deeper spool for my Alphas Air to pair with it for now.

The Z2 definitely looks interesting and I'll prob grab a few of them in a few different color patterns as well. Thanks for the info.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:22 pm

Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:52 pm

I actually used the 72ML+ to throw the Vision 110 all spring last year and I thought it worked great, but the length just made jerking too uncomfortable and I've since picked up the 610M Expride B.

If I do well with these little MB cranks on my main lake this spring I will certainly be looking to hone the gear I use. For now I'm going to give it a go the 72ML+ despite the extra fast action bc it's what I have on hand. I also ordered a deeper spool for my Alphas Air to pair with it for now.

The Z2 definitely looks interesting and I'll prob grab a few of them in a few different color patterns as well. Thanks for the info.
You'll be fine with that rod until you figure out if crankbait fishing is something you would like to pursue long term, you'll simply have to adjust your drag and learn to "bow" a bit more often when you get fish near the boat.

I love all of my Megabass crankbaits but for me the OSP Tiny Blitz, Tiny Blitz MR and DR simply catch more smallmouth bass for me than the Z1, Z2, and Z3 crank do in day-to-day fishing.
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:38 pm

City17Banner wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:22 pm

You'll be fine with that rod until you figure out if crankbait fishing is something you would like to pursue long term, you'll simply have to adjust your drag and learn to "bow" a bit more often when you get fish near the boat.

I love all of my Megabass crankbaits but for me the OSP Tiny Blitz, Tiny Blitz MR and DR simply catch more smallmouth bass for me than the Z1, Z2, and Z3 crank do in day-to-day fishing.
Sounds good. More options for me to look into.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:51 pm

Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:38 pm
Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:22 pm

Sounds good. More options for me to look into.
Absolutely, good luck and enjoy your crankbait fishing endeavors!

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:08 pm

I'm getting waaay ahead of myself here...but does anyone have any experience using the MB P5 Z-Crank Elseil with these smaller 1/4-3/8 oz cranks?

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:17 pm

Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:08 pm
I'm getting waaay ahead of myself here...but does anyone have any experience using the MB P5 Z-Crank Elseil with these smaller 1/4-3/8 oz cranks?
I agree that you are getting a bit ahead of yourself but since there is a similar topic on the BBC Rods & Reels Forum about these types of light jerkbaits and crankbaits, I thought my cross-posted reply to that post may help illuminate your own light crankbait question regarding the MB P5 Z-Crank Elseil and provide some additional viewpoints on other similar casting rods.

First and foremost, these are my opinions based upon my real world on-the-water experience which is what I suspect you are seeking and since I have owned or previously owned all of the rods you have listed, I'm happy to share my impressions and experiences on all of them.

Megabass Destroyer USA F4.5-611X One Ten Special
I own four of the MB Destroyer USA One Ten Specials and for the last four fishing seasons, they formed the backbone of my 1/2-3/4oz jerkbait presentations from the ubiquitous MB Vision 110, the Jackall Rerange 110SP, the Lucky Craft Lightning Pointer 110SP, and the DUO Realis 110SP jerkbaits, this rod is capable of presenting all of them exceptionally well. Further, as Phrog Phil alluded to earlier, the One Ten Special is able to perform admirably for presenting topwater walking baits such as the 1/2oz MB Giant Dog-X, the 3/4oz MB Dog-X Diamante, and the 9/16oz Evergreen Shower Blows 105. Lastly, like Phrog Phil, I have never tried any light 1/4-3/8oz crankbaits on the One Ten Special due to the fairly fast taper of the rod.

Megabass Destroyer JDM P5 F4-65X One Ten Stick
I own two of the MB Destroyer P5 One Ten Sticks and have found this rod to be an excellent light jerkbait rod for presenting 3/8oz DUO Realis Rozante 63SP, LC Pointer 78, and the 5/16oz Jackall Squad Minnow 80SP jerkbaits. The One Ten Stick is half a power weaker than the MB One Ten Special and possesses a slow taper. Out of the rods you have listed that have all graphite rod blank compositions, this would be the rod I would use to present light crankbaits. Indeed, on two different fishing trips where I forgot my Sedition White Falcon and MB Valkyrie rods in the other bass boat, the One Ten Stick did a fine job of presenting the 5/16oz Deps Evoke 1.2 and the OSP Blitz square bill crankbaits. Finally, the One Ten Stick is phenomenal at presenting the 5/16oz Evergreen Shower Blows 77 and other similar size/weight topwater lures.

Megabass Destroyer P5 F4-66X Cyclone
The Megabass Destroyer P5 Cyclone fondly evokes great memories of my Megabass Destroyer X7 Cyclone Advantage, as similar to that extraordinary rod, is a great all-around rod that works best with medium sized spinnerbaits and excels at presenting a weightless wacky rigged 5" Senko on a 4/0 Ryugi Infini EWG hook. Due to its regular fast taper, I prefer to use the Cyclone for presenting the 1/2oz Megabass Pop-Max topwater popper. In a pinch I have used it for presenting 1/2oz jerkbaits, but the tip is too slow for me to be able to "rip" these lures in the warmer portions of our fishing in NW Wisconsin. I could see a use for this rod if I had no other choice for presenting light crankbaits, but there are better options within this list of rods.

Megabass Destroyer P5 F3.5-70X Z-Crank Elseil
I admit to being perplexed by the Megabass Destroyer P5 Z-Crank Elseil, it's "designed" to be used to present small crankbaits but is also noted as being capable of presenting topwater lures and jerkbaits too. I presume that by small crankbaits, Megabass was alluding to the newest generation of the Super Z1 and Z2 crankbaits as the first Megabass Z-Crank I encountered back in 2009 was a 1/2oz wooden square bill style crankbait and there was nothing "small" regarding its movement or retrieval profile as the lure had fantastic and erratic "hunting" action. For many years until the rise of the Deps Evoke 1.2 and the OSP Blitz crankbaits the Z-Crank was my preferred shallow water (4ft or less) crankbait. So why is the P5 Z-Crank Elseil perplexing to me? It's simple, the Z-Crank Elseil has too much power to properly present the small 1/4oz Megabass Z1 and Z2 crankbaits and the regular fast taper leans toward the faster portion of the taper and less towards the regular side of the equation. Perhaps, in the future, I will find a good use for this rod but in the meantime this rod will remain in long term rod storage.

Megabass Valkyrie VKC-69M+
In an ideal world, the composite Megabass Valkyrie VKC-69M+ casting rod would be a Medium-Light Plus or a straight up Medium powered rod, unfortunately, it's too overpowered for presenting 1/2oz jerkbaits and, even worse, the VKC-69M+ is a bit too close and overlaps the power and versatility of the standout VKC-71MH rod (the best rod in this model line) but lacks the power of the latter rod to reliably present 1/2-3/4oz Jackhammers and similar weighted Megabass Uoze Swimmers. After much experimentation, I have found that the forte of the VKC-69M+ rod is presenting the 3/8oz Z-Man/Evergreen Jackhammer over weed flats and around fallen logs where the need to keep the lure higher in the water column comes into play. The other presentation that I have also found the Valkyrie 69M+ to excel at is presenting the 3/8oz Megabass Deep-X 100 and 1/2oz Megabass Deep-X 200 LBO crankbaits and this rod is absolutely the best out of all the rods on this list from a pure crankbait presentation perspective. Due to its composite construction, it possesses the buttery smooth casting curve found in pure fiberglass rods mixed in with enough graphite in the rod blank to be able to detect major bottom contour changes. Make no mistake about the Megabass Valkyrie model line, the VKC-71MH, VKC-71H, VKC-74H+, and VKC-76XXH rods form the basis of my deep diving crankbait arsenal and they perform these duties exceptionally well day-in and day-out with no issues or drama.

Daiwa Steez Compile-X AGS 69M Universal Light
The Daiwa Steez AGS (USA) medium powered Universal Light is a fundamentally sound light jerkbait and crankbait casting rod. It handles everything from the 1/4oz Megabass X-Nanahan jerkbait to the 7/16oz LC Staysee 90SP deep suspending jerkbaits and just keeps coming back for more. I've come to appreciate the Universal Light so much that I now have two rods in each bass boat at all times since I fish jerkbaits during all phases of the fishing season. It's too early to tell if the Universal Light will overtake the seminal Daiwa Steez Racing Design RD 681M/MLFB casting rod as my favorite all-purpose light casting rod, but only time on the water can determine such an outcome.

Other Rod Considerations
If you are already contemplating casting rods of the caliber you have listed, it makes sense to discuss other JDM jerkbait casting rod options from the absurdly impossible "Unobtanium" bespoke rods to the ultra-high-end production rods that are available for purchase today from major JDM online retailers.

The "Unobtanium" Bespoke Jerkbait Rod
The Sedition SDC-605MMR-FTW Bloody represents the ultimate light jerkbait rod from JDM custom rod builder Sedition Rods. The rod exemplifies the essence of a "bespoke" casting rod fashioned from the fertile mind of a obsessed perfectionist rod builder who walks his own path and does not care about "traditional" ideas of what constitutes a jerkbait rod. The Sedition Bloody possesses a regular taper that effortlessly controls and dominates big smallmouth bass during the fight yet is also features a tip section that is sensitive enough to allow you to determine when you have a blade of eelgrass wrapped around the front treble hook of your favorite light jerkbait so you can quickly reel the lure in and not waste a retrieve. And when you forget your favorite light spinnerbait rod for presenting "finesse" 1/4oz OSP High Pitchers and Bottom Up Chibeebles, there's no worry, the Sedition Bloody takes up the challenge without any fanfare and proves itself so superior at the finesse spinnerbait game that it permanently relegates the older Luxxe Oltre B67M casting rod into long term rod storage.

The Ultra-High-End Production JDM Jerkbait Rod
The Evergreen International Kaleido Inspirare IRSC-70MF-SXF Cougar Elite 7 RS represents the best jerkbait rod from one of the very best JDM production rod builders in Japan. The EG Cougar Elite 7 RS is a medium powered rod that possesses the "dual action" taper that is sometimes found on high-end JDM casting rods, it possesses a super sensitive tip section backed up by a progressively more powerful belly and forgiving midsection that allows the EG Cougar Elite to effortlessly cast every jerkbait from 3/8-1oz and work them properly cast after cast. The EG Cougar Elite 7 RS and its counterpart the EG Cougar Elite 7 GT are the primary reason for retiring my four Megabass Destroyer USA One Ten Special rods. The relentless pace of innovation and exquisite use of ultra-high quality rod blank materials has resulted in the best of the last generation jerkbait rods being put into long term rod storage and collecting dust. That is how good the EG Cougar Elite 7 RS/GT rods performed last season for presenting all flavors and forms of jerkbaits. Lastly, I have no idea how these rods present light crankbaits since I'd have to stop using my Sedition White Falcon, Smith LTD Tourer V-Spec, and my old school Megabass Tomahawk GTZ Hien casting rods before I'd ever have that specific challenge. :lol:

Hopefully this extended rehash and diatribe is of use to you as you try to figure out which of the many crankbait rods available in the JDM and US markets may be best suited for your light crankbait needs. Good luck with your crankbait rod search and please have a wonderful day!

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:27 am

Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:17 pm
Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:08 pm
I agree that you are getting a bit ahead of yourself but since there is a similar topic on the BBC Rods & Reels Forum about these types of light jerkbaits and crankbaits, I thought my cross-posted reply to that post may help illuminate your own light crankbait question regarding the MB P5 Z-Crank Elseil and provide some additional viewpoints on other similar casting rods.

First and foremost, these are my opinions based upon my real world on-the-water experience which is what I suspect you are seeking and since I have owned or previously owned all of the rods you have listed, I'm happy to share my impressions and experiences on all of them.

Megabass Destroyer USA F4.5-611X One Ten Special
I own four of the MB Destroyer USA One Ten Specials and for the last four fishing seasons, they formed the backbone of my 1/2-3/4oz jerkbait presentations from the ubiquitous MB Vision 110, the Jackall Rerange 110SP, the Lucky Craft Lightning Pointer 110SP, and the DUO Realis 110SP jerkbaits, this rod is capable of presenting all of them exceptionally well. Further, as Phrog Phil alluded to earlier, the One Ten Special is able to perform admirably for presenting topwater walking baits such as the 1/2oz MB Giant Dog-X, the 3/4oz MB Dog-X Diamante, and the 9/16oz Evergreen Shower Blows 105. Lastly, like Phrog Phil, I have never tried any light 1/4-3/8oz crankbaits on the One Ten Special due to the fairly fast taper of the rod.

Megabass Destroyer JDM P5 F4-65X One Ten Stick
I own two of the MB Destroyer P5 One Ten Sticks and have found this rod to be an excellent light jerkbait rod for presenting 3/8oz DUO Realis Rozante 63SP, LC Pointer 78, and the 5/16oz Jackall Squad Minnow 80SP jerkbaits. The One Ten Stick is half a power weaker than the MB One Ten Special and possesses a slow taper. Out of the rods you have listed that have all graphite rod blank compositions, this would be the rod I would use to present light crankbaits. Indeed, on two different fishing trips where I forgot my Sedition White Falcon and MB Valkyrie rods in the other bass boat, the One Ten Stick did a fine job of presenting the 5/16oz Deps Evoke 1.2 and the OSP Blitz square bill crankbaits. Finally, the One Ten Stick is phenomenal at presenting the 5/16oz Evergreen Shower Blows 77 and other similar size/weight topwater lures.

Megabass Destroyer P5 F4-66X Cyclone
The Megabass Destroyer P5 Cyclone fondly evokes great memories of my Megabass Destroyer X7 Cyclone Advantage, as similar to that extraordinary rod, is a great all-around rod that works best with medium sized spinnerbaits and excels at presenting a weightless wacky rigged 5" Senko on a 4/0 Ryugi Infini EWG hook. Due to its regular fast taper, I prefer to use the Cyclone for presenting the 1/2oz Megabass Pop-Max topwater popper. In a pinch I have used it for presenting 1/2oz jerkbaits, but the tip is too slow for me to be able to "rip" these lures in the warmer portions of our fishing in NW Wisconsin. I could see a use for this rod if I had no other choice for presenting light crankbaits, but there are better options within this list of rods.

Megabass Destroyer P5 F3.5-70X Z-Crank Elseil
I admit to being perplexed by the Megabass Destroyer P5 Z-Crank Elseil, it's "designed" to be used to present small crankbaits but is also noted as being capable of presenting topwater lures and jerkbaits too. I presume that by small crankbaits, Megabass was alluding to the newest generation of the Super Z1 and Z2 crankbaits as the first Megabass Z-Crank I encountered back in 2009 was a 1/2oz wooden square bill style crankbait and there was nothing "small" regarding its movement or retrieval profile as the lure had fantastic and erratic "hunting" action. For many years until the rise of the Deps Evoke 1.2 and the OSP Blitz crankbaits the Z-Crank was my preferred shallow water (4ft or less) crankbait. So why is the P5 Z-Crank Elseil perplexing to me? It's simple, the Z-Crank Elseil has too much power to properly present the small 1/4oz Megabass Z1 and Z2 crankbaits and the regular fast taper leans toward the faster portion of the taper and less towards the regular side of the equation. Perhaps, in the future, I will find a good use for this rod but in the meantime this rod will remain in long term rod storage.

Megabass Valkyrie VKC-69M+
In an ideal world, the composite Megabass Valkyrie VKC-69M+ casting rod would be a Medium-Light Plus or a straight up Medium powered rod, unfortunately, it's too overpowered for presenting 1/2oz jerkbaits and, even worse, the VKC-69M+ is a bit too close and overlaps the power and versatility of the standout VKC-71MH rod (the best rod in this model line) but lacks the power of the latter rod to reliably present 1/2-3/4oz Jackhammers and similar weighted Megabass Uoze Swimmers. After much experimentation, I have found that the forte of the VKC-69M+ rod is presenting the 3/8oz Z-Man/Evergreen Jackhammer over weed flats and around fallen logs where the need to keep the lure higher in the water column comes into play. The other presentation that I have also found the Valkyrie 69M+ to excel at is presenting the 3/8oz Megabass Deep-X 100 and 1/2oz Megabass Deep-X 200 LBO crankbaits and this rod is absolutely the best out of all the rods on this list from a pure crankbait presentation perspective. Due to its composite construction, it possesses the buttery smooth casting curve found in pure fiberglass rods mixed in with enough graphite in the rod blank to be able to detect major bottom contour changes. Make no mistake about the Megabass Valkyrie model line, the VKC-71MH, VKC-71H, VKC-74H+, and VKC-76XXH rods form the basis of my deep diving crankbait arsenal and they perform these duties exceptionally well day-in and day-out with no issues or drama.

Daiwa Steez Compile-X AGS 69M Universal Light
The Daiwa Steez AGS (USA) medium powered Universal Light is a fundamentally sound light jerkbait and crankbait casting rod. It handles everything from the 1/4oz Megabass X-Nanahan jerkbait to the 7/16oz LC Staysee 90SP deep suspending jerkbaits and just keeps coming back for more. I've come to appreciate the Universal Light so much that I now have two rods in each bass boat at all times since I fish jerkbaits during all phases of the fishing season. It's too early to tell if the Universal Light will overtake the seminal Daiwa Steez Racing Design RD 681M/MLFB casting rod as my favorite all-purpose light casting rod, but only time on the water can determine such an outcome.

Other Rod Considerations
If you are already contemplating casting rods of the caliber you have listed, it makes sense to discuss other JDM jerkbait casting rod options from the absurdly impossible "Unobtanium" bespoke rods to the ultra-high-end production rods that are available for purchase today from major JDM online retailers.

The "Unobtanium" Bespoke Jerkbait Rod
The Sedition SDC-605MMR-FTW Bloody represents the ultimate light jerkbait rod from JDM custom rod builder Sedition Rods. The rod exemplifies the essence of a "bespoke" casting rod fashioned from the fertile mind of a obsessed perfectionist rod builder who walks his own path and does not care about "traditional" ideas of what constitutes a jerkbait rod. The Sedition Bloody possesses a regular taper that effortlessly controls and dominates big smallmouth bass during the fight yet is also features a tip section that is sensitive enough to allow you to determine when you have a blade of eelgrass wrapped around the front treble hook of your favorite light jerkbait so you can quickly reel the lure in and not waste a retrieve. And when you forget your favorite light spinnerbait rod for presenting "finesse" 1/4oz OSP High Pitchers and Bottom Up Chibeebles, there's no worry, the Sedition Bloody takes up the challenge without any fanfare and proves itself so superior at the finesse spinnerbait game that it permanently relegates the older Luxxe Oltre B67M casting rod into long term rod storage.

The Ultra-High-End Production JDM Jerkbait Rod
The Evergreen International Kaleido Inspirare IRSC-70MF-SXF Cougar Elite 7 RS represents the best jerkbait rod from one of the very best JDM production rod builders in Japan. The EG Cougar Elite 7 RS is a medium powered rod that possesses the "dual action" taper that is sometimes found on high-end JDM casting rods, it possesses a super sensitive tip section backed up by a progressively more powerful belly and forgiving midsection that allows the EG Cougar Elite to effortlessly cast every jerkbait from 3/8-1oz and work them properly cast after cast. The EG Cougar Elite 7 RS and its counterpart the EG Cougar Elite 7 GT are the primary reason for retiring my four Megabass Destroyer USA One Ten Special rods. The relentless pace of innovation and exquisite use of ultra-high quality rod blank materials has resulted in the best of the last generation jerkbait rods being put into long term rod storage and collecting dust. That is how good the EG Cougar Elite 7 RS/GT rods performed last season for presenting all flavors and forms of jerkbaits. Lastly, I have no idea how these rods present light crankbaits since I'd have to stop using my Sedition White Falcon, Smith LTD Tourer V-Spec, and my old school Megabass Tomahawk GTZ Hien casting rods before I'd ever have that specific challenge. :lol:

Hopefully this extended rehash and diatribe is of use to you as you try to figure out which of the many crankbait rods available in the JDM and US markets may be best suited for your light crankbait needs. Good luck with your crankbait rod search and please have a wonderful day!
That's all very helpful information, particularly about the P5 Z-Crank Elseil. Thank you again for taking the time and effort.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:25 am

You are most welcome! You have lots of time to ponder and learn if you even like using light crankbaits, let alone if you prefer all graphite, composite (both graphite and fiberglass), or fiberglass crankbait rods, there are a myriad of choices in the US market and many more technique (and even lure) specific options in the JDM realm as well.

I just ordered yet more OSP Blitz Magnum EX-DR deep diving crankbaits which are on the other side of the size/weight spectrum than what you are trying and like your situations, these crankbaits that weigh nearly 2oz require prodigious amounts of power to present properly along with a casting reel that can easily and reliably retrieve these oversized lures.

Enjoy your light crankbait fishing as I hope you catch a ton of fish using them!

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:36 am

Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:33 am

What line are you using for the IxI Shads? My plan is to go with 8# fluoro, Sunline Sniper to be specific. I figure this will help with casting distance on these light baits and hopefully still have enough durability for dragging bottom, not sure if I should go with 10# instead for the latter reason.
I use 10# Sunline Sniper and 11# Sunline Defier Armilo (depending on the rod that I am using).

I think that you'll be surprised at the casting distance with the lxl shads. As @city17banner posted, even though they are light (1/4 oz.) I've had no trouble using a medium or medium light rod and baitcasting reel.

I've found durability to be very good bouncing them off the hard bottom where I fish the most.