What shad lure are throwing besides a shad rap?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What shad lure are throwing besides a shad rap?

Post by PotatoLake » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:06 pm

It's that time of year, when the tight wiggle of the shad-style lure will generate bites. What's your go-to besides a shad rap? I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations. Thanks. I just started throwing an IXI Shad, but haven't spent a ton of time formulating an educated opinion.

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What shad lure are throwing besides a shad rap?

Post by Real » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:22 am

Lately, I've been using the Shimano World Crank 73F

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:17 am

This has been resulting in some bites for me during the Winter:

https://www.zipbaits.com/global/item/?i=67

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:19 am

Salmo Executor

Yozuri Hardcore Shad
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Jaqa
Angler
Angler

Post by Jaqa » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:13 pm

Duel hardcore shad. I have the older versions with a more narrow bib. Just got some of the new ones this week. Don't think the 60mm will dive as deep. The 75mm has a much wider bib. Only time will tell if the changes are successful.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:49 pm

MB Flap Slap is about the only other Shad Rap style body lure I toss...it is really an excellent performer.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:08 pm

Rapala Fat Rap has been catching fish for me over the last 40 years. :lol:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:31 pm

Jackall Bling 55 and old Duel Hardcore Shad for me. I'll throw those before I throw a shad rap.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:10 am

PotatoLake wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:06 pm
I just started throwing an IXI Shad, but haven't spent a ton of time formulating an educated opinion.
Love this lure. I like both the R and Type 3 models. I have the TX ones as well to try out for deeper fish.

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:28 pm

jmb27 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:10 am
PotatoLake wrote:
I just started throwing an IXI Shad, but haven't spent a ton of time formulating an educated opinion.
Love this lure. I like both the R and Type 3 models. I have the TX ones as well to try out for deeper fish.
I finally got to put in some time with the Type 3 this winter. Had a day where I was getting skunked, I tied the type 3 in a frosted white semi-transparent color and started whacking them. The TX is something I'd like to acquire.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:25 am

PotatoLake wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:28 pm
jmb27 wrote:
PotatoLake wrote:
I finally got to put in some time with the Type 3 this winter. Had a day where I was getting skunked, I tied the type 3 in a frosted white semi-transparent color and started whacking them. The TX is something I'd like to acquire.
I'm glad you are enjoying success with the IxI Type 3 Shad. I've had great success with all the different permutations of the IxI Shad fishing for smallmouth bass in the flood control flowages near my lake cabin in NW Wisconsin. I'm most curious if the newly released IxI Furious 0.5 Shad (designed to dive to 50cm or 19") will finally de-throne the very similarly designed (both lures feature the same exact lip design/material) Imakatsu Gekiasa Shad as my primary super shallow (less than 3ft) shad crankbait of choice during the pre-spawn fishing period this spring for smallmouth bass.

Good luck with your continued success using these excellent shad style crankbaits and please have a great day!

IxI Furious 0.5 Shad Link: https://www.lurenewsr.com/247376/2/
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:13 am

City17Banner wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:25 am
PotatoLake wrote:
jmb27 wrote:
PotatoLake wrote:
I'm glad you are enjoying success with the IxI Type 3 Shad. I've had great success with all the different permutations of the IxI Shad fishing for smallmouth bass in the flood control flowages near my lake cabin in NW Wisconsin. I'm most curious if the newly released IxI Furious 0.5 Shad (designed to dive to 50cm or 19") will finally de-throne the very similarly designed (both lures feature the same exact lip design/material) Imakatsu Gekiasa Shad as my primary super shallow (less than 3ft) shad crankbait of choice during the pre-spawn fishing period this spring for smallmouth bass.

Good luck with your continued success using these excellent shad style crankbaits and please have a great day!

Looks like these cranks come in at just 1/4 oz if the stated weight is accurate - quite light. So what gear are you guys casting these tiny cranks on? I'm not sure if I have casting gear light enough to get the job done, at least not a rod that would load well enough anyway. Maybe they cast like little rockets.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:25 am

Craiger12 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:13 am
City17Banner wrote:
PotatoLake wrote:
jmb27 wrote:
PotatoLake wrote:

Looks like these cranks come in at just 1/4 oz if the stated weight is accurate - quite light. So what gear are you guys casting these tiny cranks on? I'm not sure if I have casting gear light enough to get the job done, at least not a rod that would load well enough anyway. Maybe they cast like little rockets.
Yes, these are all very light JDM crankbaits that are all around 7g or 1/4oz in weight. The IxI crankbaits use the LBO II (miniaturized) version of the classic Megabass LBO (Linear Bearing Oscillation) weight transfer system while the Imakatsu Gekiasa Shad uses a tungsten weight transfer system so both lure families do cast like "rockets" in my experience.

As for casting rods, I use two casting rods depending on if I am fishing open water or cover fishing situations.

Open Water Light Crankbait Fishing Situations (Light Cover & Obstructions)
Rod: Megabass Tomahawk GTZ F3-610 Hien (composite rod)
Rod Length: 6'10"
Number of Pieces: 1
Rod Purchase Price/Availability: $300 (in 2010), rod has been discontinued
Rod Weight: 146g or 5.15oz
Rod Power: F3 (medium light)
Action/Taper: Extra-Fast
Lure Weight: 3/16-5/8oz
Line Weight: 5-16lb
Fishing Impressions: The Megabass Tomahawk GTZ Hien is an old favorite casting rod for presenting small reaction crankbaits and topwater lures and provides the best features of both graphite and fiberglass rods in one consolidated rod blank. The Hien has the buttery smooth casting motion that is associated with classic fiberglass rods of yesteryear along with enough graphite to possess good sensitivity to avoid cover and other underwater obstructions. I have yet to find a better all-around light casting rod than the GTZ Hein even after extensive searching over the last decade.

Cover Light Crankbait Fishing Situations (Weeds and Standing Timber)
Rod: Smith LTD Tourer V-Spec TVC-69ML Bait Finesse Advance (graphite rod)
Rod Length: 6'9"
Rod Purchase Price/Availability: $415 (in 2022), rod is available in very limited quantities
Rod Weight: 98g or 3.41oz
Rod Power: Medium Light
Action/Taper: Fast
Lure Weight: 1/16-3/8oz
Line Weight: 5-12lb
Fishing Impressions: After fishing with the Smith LTD Tourer V-Spec Bait Finesse Advance for an entire fishing season, I have determined that this rod will be the future centerpiece of my light crankbait fishing game as it has a potent combination of super lightweight and forgiving belly section that allows for great loading on the cast and excellent ability to ensure a smallmouth bass stays hooked during the fight by protecting the small trebles so often found on these light crankbaits. The sensitivity of the Smith LTD Bait Finesse Advance is especially useful when navigating the standing timber and log strewn flood control flowages I fish in NW Wisconsin and while the venerable Megabass Tomahawk Hien remains the best overall light crankbait casting rod I own, the Smith LTD is fast overtaking the "master light crankbait rod" due to its combination of lightness and sensitivity. I predict that as I gain more time on the water with the Smith LTD Bait Finesse Advance that it will eventually relegate the Hien into long term rod storage.

I hope this helps address your questions regarding these phenomenal JDM light shad style crankbaits.

Please have a great day!
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:28 am

City17Banner wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:25 am
Craiger12 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:13 am
City17Banner wrote:
PotatoLake wrote:
jmb27 wrote:

Yes, these are all very light JDM crankbaits that are all around 7g or 1/4oz in weight. The IxI crankbaits use the LBO II (miniaturized) version of the classic Megabass LBO (Linear Bearing Oscillation) weight transfer system while the Imakatsu Gekiasa Shad uses a tungsten weight transfer system so both lure families do cast like "rockets" in my experience.

As for casting rods, I use two casting rods depending on if I am fishing open water or cover fishing situations.

Open Water Light Crankbait Fishing Situations (Light Cover & Obstructions)
Rod: Megabass Tomahawk GTZ F3-610 Hien (composite rod)
Rod Length: 6'10"
Rod Purchase Price/Availability: $300 (in 2010), rod has been discontinued
Rod Weight: 146g or 5.15oz
Rod Power: F3 (medium light)
Action/Taper: Extra-Fast
Lure Weight: 3/16-5/8oz
Line Weight: 5-16lb
Fishing Impressions: The Megabass Tomahawk GTZ Hien is an old favorite casting rod for presenting small reaction crankbaits and topwater lures and provides the best features of both graphite and fiberglass rods in one consolidated rod blank. The Hien has the buttery smooth casting motion that is associated with classic fiberglass rods of yesteryear along with enough graphite to possess good sensitivity to avoid cover and other underwater obstructions. I have yet to find a better all-around light casting rod than the GTZ Hein even after extensive searching over the last decade.

Cover Light Crankbait Fishing Situations (Weeds and Standing Timber)
Rod: Smith LTD Tourer V-Spec TVC-69ML Bait Finesse Advance (graphite rod)
Rod Length: 6'9"
Rod Purchase Price/Availability: $415 (in 2022), rod is available in very limited quantities
Rod Weight: 98g or 3.41oz
Rod Power: Medium Light
Action/Taper: Fast
Lure Weight: 1/16-3/8oz
Line Weight: 5-12lb
Fishing Impressions: After fishing with the Smith LTD Tourer V-Spec Bait Finesse Advance for an entire fishing season, I have determined that this rod will be the future centerpiece of my light crankbait fishing game as it has a potent combination of super lightweight and forgiving belly section that allows for great loading on the cast and excellent ability to ensure a smallmouth bass stays hooked during the fight by protecting the small trebles so often found on these light crankbaits. The sensitivity of the Smith LTD Bait Finesse Advance is especially useful when navigating the standing timber and log strewn flood control flowages I fish in NW Wisconsin and while the venerable Megabass Tomahawk Hien remains the best overall light crankbait casting rod I own, the Smith LTD is fast overtaking the "master light crankbait rod" due to its combination of lightness and sensitivity. I predict that as I gain more time on the water with the Smith LTD Bait Finesse Advance that it will eventually relegate the Hien into long term rod storage.

I hope this helps address your questions regarding these phenomenal JDM light shad style crankbaits.

Please have a great day!
Excellent info. I really enjoy and appreciate your detailed responses. I was hoping I might be able to present these lures with my 7'2" Medium Shimano Adrena, but I don't think it will load quite well enough for my liking. I might have to look into a ML casting rod with a regular fast action to present smaller cranks like these. Maybe there is something in the JDM Expride lineup 🤔

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:17 am

Craiger12 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:28 am
I might have to look into a ML casting rod with a regular fast action to present smaller cranks like these. Maybe there is something in the JDM Expride lineup 🤔
The poison adrena 67L BFS is perfect for all the IXI shads, and the Z1 - Z2 as well. I suspect the Zodias 68L BFS will do a similar job - med/fast tapers that bend smoothly to keep fish pinned on tiny trebles/singles -
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnkgZxhM ... _copy_link