Sometimes, You Just Can't Win

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Sometimes, You Just Can't Win

Post by MK49 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:57 pm

No, I'm not talking about tournament fishing. I'm talking about something like this. This morning, I had a dozen of bites, while walking the dog fairly fast. I caught only two out of 12 or so bites. The fish just couldn't keep up with the walking bait. Half the time, they hit twice, and still missing my walker. So, I slowed down a little, and they just didn't bite. I also threw poppers and wakebaits, but they only hit fast moving walking baits. This happens every once in a while. This is when I feel like I just can't win. :D

When do you feel that you can't win?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Sometimes, You Just Can't Win

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:04 pm

I feel that way most every time I fish!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:23 pm

I dont think you could retrieve a lure fast enough to outrun a fish that really wants to eat it.
What i have found works here, is remove the rear treble, or all trebles, and put an assist hook set on the rear. Fish will attack the trailer and almost all hookups will be solid.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:26 pm

That and the annoying missed strikes on the buzzbait. Where they hit the front or more so on the props rather than engulf the tail hook.

Also extending the tail hook. I put into it a chain of swivel and 0-rings. Sometimes that little extra 1/4 inch or so hooks up.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:09 pm

Sore Thumb wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:23 pm
I dont think you could retrieve a lure fast enough to outrun a fish that really wants to eat it.
What i have found works here, is remove the rear treble, or all trebles, and put an assist hook set on the rear. Fish will attack the trailer and almost all hookups will be solid.
Well, it happens. I'm not saying "outrun", but fish consistently hit behind the walking bait. I'm not sure if they "really" wanted to it, but at least, they hit twice many times, assuming they're the same fish. They could be different fish, though. I can see the fish didn't get it, so I don't stop walking. Then, it (the same fish or another) hit within a few feet from the first bite.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:14 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:04 pm
I feel that way most every time I fish!
You're funny. =D>

I was a little pissed yesterday, because I could catch only 2 fish out of 12 bites. So, I went back to the same shallow flat this morning. Used the same topwater walking bait. No matter what I did (fast walk, slow and anywhere in between), I just didn't get a bite. Cold front was about to be here, so I'm blaming on that. It was pretty cold. But, I lost completely. :lol: