why chartreuse?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

why chartreuse?

Post by mark poulson » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:12 pm

I throw a Megabass 110 Bone Elegy jerkbaits, because it gets bit in colder water. Jerk, jerk, then pause, and they come up and eat it on the pause. No other color scheme gets bit.
What's so special about their Chartreuse?

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: why chartreuse?

Post by MK49 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:55 pm

According to some studies, bass sees chartreuse as white. I don't know if it's true or not. If that's true, what's a good reason to use chartreuse, instead of white. :D

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:08 pm

So do they see white as chartreuse? :lol:

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:22 pm

Chode wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:08 pm
So do they see white as chartreuse? :lol:
Exactly! :lol:

BTW, I have a Deps Pulse Cod popper, and it has a little chartreuse around the front hook hanger. The belly is slightly transparent white with the little chartreuse spot. If the chartreuse is white, what would be the point to have the little spot? Just to catch buyers' eyes? ;) It's the only Pulse Cod I have, and it catches fish.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:45 pm

I believe most color patterns are for the anglers. How confident you are In a lure changes how you present the bait as well as some other factors such as fall rate and sound/vibration. But colors to fish are relegated to a few colors on the spectrum.

That being said some colors do matter and IMHO the clearer the water the more true that is.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:38 pm

Finnz922 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:45 pm
I believe most color patterns are for the anglers. How confident you are In a lure changes how you present the bait as well as some other factors such as fall rate and sound/vibration. But colors to fish are relegated to a few colors on the spectrum.

That being said some colors do matter and IMHO the clearer the water the more true that is.
I agree with you. Confidence in color or whatever in lures is pretty much everything. When you have confidence, you use it more, and you catch more fish with it, and the confidence builds up even more. When I use something I don't have much confidence in, I stop using it after 10min, if I don't get a bite.

That said, I always wonder if other colors work better. That's why I keep trying different colors, but eventually, I know what colors work under those situations, and I only use a few different colors of a same bait. That's normally how it goes, but I don't stop experimenting.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:42 pm

MK49 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:55 pm
According to some studies, bass sees chartreuse as white. I don't know if it's true or not. If that's true, what's a good reason to use chartreuse, instead of white. :D
Correct. I’ve posted this study before: https://academic.oup.com/cz/article/65/1/43/4924236

Bass can’t really distinguish between white and yellow, so chartreuse looks rather natural but is easier to see. If you’re asking a bass to rise to a bait in cold stained water, the extra visibility might make a difference.

Bass see red particularly well, green well, and can distinguish between both colors. They can’t distinguish between black and blue (keep throwing that jig color, though :P)

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:42 am

Drakestar wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:42 pm
MK49 wrote:
Correct. I’ve posted this study before: https://academic.oup.com/cz/article/65/1/43/4924236

Bass can’t really distinguish between white and yellow, so chartreuse looks rather natural but is easier to see. If you’re asking a bass to rise to a bait in cold stained water, the extra visibility might make a difference.

Bass see red particularly well, green well, and can distinguish between both colors. They can’t distinguish between black and blue (keep throwing that jig color, though :P)
So, according to the chart, bass should see chartreuse green better than chartreus yellow. I'll keep that in mind when I'm painting.
Thanks for the link.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:13 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:42 am
Drakestar wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:42 pm
MK49 wrote:

So, according to the chart, bass should see chartreuse green better than chartreus yellow. I'll keep that in mind when I'm painting.
Thanks for the link.
So now my question is, is it necessarily good that they're able to see it clearer?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:01 am

I fish the CA Delta, and the water always has some color and current, so it helps me.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:40 pm

Chode wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:13 pm
So now my question is, is it necessarily good that they're able to see it clearer?
It totally depends on the situation/condition like water clarity, fishing pressure, weather, and everything else. :lol: