Color presentation

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Color presentation

Post by GotJDM » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:42 am

How do u guys chose the color of your spinnerbaits, jigs, and buzz baits? Under wat conditions?
Double Digit Lure Company.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Color presentation

Post by smalljaw » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:26 am

Water clarity is the biggest factor, the clearer the water them more I use natural and translucent colors. Darker water calls for brighter colors or extremely dark colors like all black. The only exception to this for me is spinnerbaits in water dominated by smallies, then I will use some bright colors in clear water as smallies seem to react more to loud colors a lot more than largemouth.
Barlow's Tackle

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 518bassin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:56 am

I agree with what gotJDM said above. With me 9 times out of 10 with spinnerbaits and buzz baits I start out with white no matter what the clarity and if it doesn't work immediately switch to black. I have plenty of other colors but I'm lazy and find that one or the other ends up working.

GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GotJDM » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:22 pm

thanks for the replys. this is really helpful info. Hopefully more users give their tips on color selection!
Double Digit Lure Company.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:01 pm

light transluscent colors simple pumpkins, watermelon and gp for clear water, maybe a lil bit of accent (orange, chartuese) when fishin for smallies straight up black for stained and muddy water. spinnerbaits are generally sexy shad or white usually don't throw them in dark water. when smallie fishing i'll use a smallie special color you can find at bassdozer.com its got a gaudy chartruese top w/ orange tails and a white bottom. this color is killer when the water's got a little stain to it
Last edited by NJ Jigman on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:56 pm

black/blue or PB&J is about all you need when it comes to jigs

emjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by emjay » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:01 pm

I always put on something with white or chartreuse right off the bat. If nothing hits, I downgrade the size and usually its game on.

nsfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nsfisher » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:36 pm

They make hundreds of different colors for a reason. Yes some colors such and black and blue have been proven to catch fish every where. However if you want to maximize your catch you need to be able to fine tune what color you are using. Every body of water is going to have some colors that work better than others. The most obvious factors have to be water turbidity (clarity) and if the sun is shining or if it is cloudy outside, darker shades tend to work better in low light conditions. But some of the most overlooked factor has to be what the bass are chasing, whether it is shad, bluegill, or crayfish. try adding some of these natural colors to your arsenal of jigs.

To get the most out of color selection you have to be able to account for all of the many factors, i tend to customize my baits and patterns more as the day goes on.

Munkin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Munkin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:18 pm

The saying around here is "If it aint white it aint right" which while a generic answer actually works.

Allen

thukidad
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by thukidad » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:45 pm

with spinnerbait and buzzbait, i generally try to keep it simple.. white, white&chart, black, black&red, etc. Just the general colors in different weight and size. Lighter color for bright days, and darker color for overcast days.

jigs, get a trap or look in your livewell. This will determine what color of jig should be working. Again, I keep it pretty simple. Black, Black/brown, Black/Blue, etc.

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:54 pm

Pick what matches your local forage as close as possible. That gives the most confidence, to me at least, which is the biggest contribution to catching fish a color has. For me that's Bluegill colored spinnerbaits, and Okeechobee Craw colored jigs nine times out of ten.

Dale Meddock
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dale Meddock » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:24 pm

Spinnerbait colors can really shine if you key in on what the bass are doing .
I am refering to is the seasonal patterns that just drive bass into biting.

Springtime; Before spawn when water temp is above 55 degrees.
Bass are keying on crawdads, try burnt orange blades with matching trailer.

Post Spawn; Blue gills are starting to bed.
Bass are starting to key in on Blue gills as they are guarding fry, blue gills are really close to them.

Fall Patterns;
Baitfish are bunched up and are starting to travel into the back end of creeks.
Match the hatch, Threadfin, Herring, Pond Smelt and Baby Bass.

anytime Bass are feeding up.
When you know the bass are really buched up and putting on the feed bag. by all means, go with big swimbaits.
Maddoglures