Swim Jig & Jig Trailers?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Swim Jig & Jig Trailers?

Post by GotJDM » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:05 am

Im wondering what you guys use for jig trailers? I use a lot of twin tails but i feel like im very limited to the size of bass i catch? Any pointers or hints you guys could give? Thanks!
Double Digit Lure Company.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Swim Jig & Jig Trailers?

Post by cadman » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:38 am

Rage Tail craws

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:58 am

cadman wrote:Rage Tail craws

X2 !!! I don't really care for Strike King Plastics but they got the Rage Tail craws perfect. 2 reasons why I like this on my swim jigs, the first is the rage craw has a lot of action, it isn't mechanical but instead looks like chaos flapping around in the water. The second is I use a swim jig a little different, I like to reel them very slow right next to cover and if it doesn't get bit I'll often follow up a cast and do basically the same type of retrieve but when it gets to where I think a fish may be I'll kill it and just let it fall to th bottom, now it is like a normal jig and the rage craw has the craw profile so no matter how I fish it I have the best of both worlds. The craw profile with the excellent action makes the rage craw a must have for swim jigs.
Barlow's Tackle

Dale Meddock
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dale Meddock » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:14 am

The big 5" fat Grubs makes a really nice trailer.

But adding a swim bait can really up your chances of catching better quality fish. I like the hand pours we make.
But Big Hammer and Fish Trap are very nice trailers.
Maddoglures

GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GotJDM » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:33 pm

Dale Meddock wrote:The big 5" fat Grubs makes a really nice trailer.

But adding a swim bait can really up your chances of catching better quality fish. I like the hand pours we make.
But Big Hammer and Fish Trap are very nice trailers.
i forgot to mention i do use the swimbaits has a trailer, but i go with cheaper stuff, the Havoc Swimbait. I just cut that into a smaller profile and throw it on there. I know its not a money minnow but it still gets the job done!

GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GotJDM » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:34 pm

Does anybody throw on hula grubs on the back of their jigs and swim jigs? I think it looks GREAT because it makes the skirts flare out even better! I love the look on it!

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:23 am

I used to use a hula grub because it added not only action but bulk but since that rage craw I don't use them anymore. The only thing I use now is a swim bait trailer and after a friend showed me a Lunker City Swimfish I got a bag and tried it out just to see how it worked with my swim jig and it looks awesome but we will have to see if the fish thing so.
Barlow's Tackle

GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GotJDM » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:39 pm

smalljaw wrote:I used to use a hula grub because it added not only action but bulk but since that rage craw I don't use them anymore. The only thing I use now is a swim bait trailer and after a friend showed me a Lunker City Swimfish I got a bag and tried it out just to see how it worked with my swim jig and it looks awesome but we will have to see if the fish thing so.
OUUU, these look great for the price :shock: , i may have to pick some up wen ever i find some!

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:56 am

When I'm swimmin a jig I always have a keitech swing impact trailing it. the skinny version not the fat. For shad immitators i use the silver or gold flash minnow colors and for sunfish/perch immitators i use the pro staff special.

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:56 pm

I personally like single tail grubs or the back half of a swimbait threaded on the hook. Always works for me, and I feel no need to change. One trailer that does swim well, but one I don't throw on my swimming jigs, is the Netbait Paca Chunk.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:01 pm

I don't throw swim jigs very often, but when I do I use a small single tail grub. For a pitching flipping jig i have tried many different trailers, but I keep coming back to the yamamoto flappin hog.

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:42 am

Katron wrote:I don't (always) throw swim jigs, but when I do I use a small single tail grub.
"Stay thirsty my friends." (paraphrased slightly) :lol:

I've thrown double tail grubs, single tail grubs, paddle tails, and even the little "cajun trailer" type trailers, and the ones I use most have to be double tails and paddle tails.

Nickk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Nickk » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:32 am

I use Zoom Fat Albert grubs on my swim jigs, I love fishing bluegill colored swimjigs with brown pumpkin trailers. I've caught many bass and pike on that combination.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:50 pm

Yamamoto SwimSenkos, Strike king rage craw, Berkley chigger craw.

Occasionally I'll use hollow body swimbaits with big paddle tails if spinnerbaits and topwater/ wake baits arent producing.

Bladerunner and Revenge swim jigs are what i use. Noticed after the fact that Blade runner recommends swim senkos as trailers when I was ordering more.....LOL

GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GotJDM » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:00 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:Yamamoto SwimSenkos, Strike king rage craw, Berkley chigger craw.

Occasionally I'll use hollow body swimbaits with big paddle tails if spinnerbaits and topwater/ wake baits arent producing.

Bladerunner and Revenge swim jigs are what i use. Noticed after the fact that Blade runner recommends swim senkos as trailers when I was ordering more.....LOL
how are the swim senkos producing for ya? I wanna give them a shot but looks like they can rip really easily?