Who regularly throws small 3/16-1/4 spinnerbaits?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Who regularly throws small 3/16-1/4 spinnerbaits?

Post by Randingo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:01 am

I used to carry and throw finesse sized spinnerbaits fairly frequently, but I eventually sort of concluded they weren't for me except for a couple of very specific situations. I still carry a few with me if I'm bank fishing or wading in small ponds and rivers, but if I'm on a boat, I rarely throw anything smaller than 1/2 and never lighter than 3/8. I find half ounce plus baits are just way more efficient at covering water, drawing fish, moving through the water column, etc. than the little baits. If I want power finesse, there are many better choices in my opinion than a little spinnerbait. The reason I still have and use the little spinnerbaits in the situations I mentioned is because I usually only carry one rod and limited tackle, and a quarter ounce spinnerbait is more of a power presentation when fishing around smaller average fish and can still occasionally draw a bite from a bigger fish in those circumstances. Mostly, though, it's because small waters here are far more efficiently fished with spinning tackle, and big spinnerbaits seem totally unwieldy on spinning gear to me. There's also rarely a reason to fish the bait more than 3' deep in these small bodies of water. When I'm in a boat, though, spinnerbaits are all about power and covering water, as well as throwing them into the nastiest stuff I can find.

How many of you use small spinnerbaits in bigger waters? And why do you choose them over either larger spinnerbaits or more finesse options like swimbaits, fish head spins, etc.?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Who regularly throws small 3/16-1/4 spinnerbaits?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:48 am

I like to use them for walleye around dusk in the shallows. They are nice alternative to the standard grub. I fish them with or without the skirt.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:09 am

quarter ounce spinnerbaits are one of my favorite spring baits. Also one of my favorite night time baits when fish are up shallow

Terminator used to make the Special T 1/4 ounce.

Single colorado blade. Red hook.

I wish I had or could find more. Down to my last one.........I fear it's not long for this earth

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:23 am

I agree, spring is the time to throw them around here. Shallow spawning pockets with pads or grass are great places to throw a small spinnerbait. Postspawn around fry has also worked well.

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:55 am

It is what I use 99.9% of the time , when I throw spinnerbaits. Custom made for me L'il Hustler 1/4 ounce , silver or copper willow on the end size 4 or 4.5 , and silver size 3 indiana on the spinnerbait shaft . I always add a size 1/0 Strike King trailer hook with a small disk (not a ring) of aquarium tubing ( does not rot) added over the spinnerbaits' hook to secure the trailer hook and allow it to swing freely. Reel ,rip and jerk it through the pads and it works great. Done it for years and years.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:17 am

Interesting stuff, guys. I'm always fascinated when people reach different conclusions, although some of what you're saying aligns with my approach in that you're often using them shallow and in confined spaces on larger bodies of water. I know Lil Hustler makes nice stuff, but I'm surprised a bit by your preference for a 4.5 willow on such a light bait. I take it you work it quite slowly...

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:36 pm

I've had a bit of success with the War Eagle McClelland Finesse Spinnerbaits, which only come in 3/16oz and 5/16oz. I'll slow roll them around this time of year, and I've done decently on them. I just started throwing the Megabass V9 around this week at ponds, as well. It's a 3/8oz bait, but it's crazy compact. Looking forward to trying it out on my local lakes, since it worked well in my local pond.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:41 am

The compact baits get more bites, but they are harder to throw without the right set-up. The best of both worlds is the heavy/compact baits, which have made the lighter baits less relevant. Also, there are lots of underspins and other small baits with blades that have cut into the small spinner bait market. My old custom 3/16 and 1/4 oz. spinner baits all have lead tape wrapped on them to cast better. Our clear water in the West usually requires longer casts that can't be achieved with most bulky 1/4 oz. baits.

mokujon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mokujon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:39 am

Strike King Lil Mr. Money is awesome. I throw that if I'm not getting bit on a bigger spinner baits.

Basspastor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basspastor » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:45 pm

I like to throw 1/4 or 3/16, I forget which size, Strike King Double Willow for smallmouth. I've caught some nice one's on Mille Lacs and the Rum River.
Bass Pundit Blog

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nctrucker » Thu May 11, 2017 4:19 am

i enjoy throwing the small single blade H & H spinnerbaits around timber. they're heavy in relation to their size but still have a good thump that'll get bites. chartreuse is always a good color. may try changing blade colors for fun of it.

jig61
Angler
Angler

Post by jig61 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:09 pm

Honestly I barely have any bigger spinnerbaits. My fishing is very finesse oriented and the lakes I fish are pounded with all the regular stuff. I change it up from the norm and catch more fish, look into finesse swim jigs too with a 3.8 keitech.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:29 pm

I like the smaller spinnerbaits up to 1/4oz much of the time. I prefer Jackall's Eruption.

RazorCat
Angler
Angler

Post by RazorCat » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:07 pm

I throw 1/4 oz spinnerbaits the majority of the time. Primarily a Booyah Silver Shad with a Culprit worm trailer (tail section only).
They catch fish in all types of cover, and in open water.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:00 am

i like thhe 3/16 war eagle finesse spinnerbait