Spinnerbait question

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Spinnerbait question

Post by goldrod » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:43 pm

I meant to ask this question earlier but the pain medication convinced me that I had already. What’s your 1/2 spinnerbait setup and when do you use braid for line?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Spinnerbait question

Post by Bass Junkie » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:52 pm

I throw lighter baits on a 6’6” medium action St Croix Premier and heavier on a 6’6” MH first generation Daiwa Cielo. Both have a rotating reel problem, as I tend to acquire reels and mess around with them a lot more than rods. I’ve really been enjoying an OG purple Alphas for lighter baits and a TD-Z 103H for heavier, although a TD-Z 100M does a great job too. The OG Alphas does have an Itö 103 Ai spool. I use a lot more mono than I should in almost every technique, but especially with spinner baits. Around wood however I’ve really started to appreciate fluoro.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:03 pm

My setup consists of a TDZ 105H with 5.7 Ito gears and a 6-10 MH Phenix Maxim. Most times, I throw spinnerbaits on straight 17 or 20# mono. However, on really long casts or in deep water, I prefer 50# braid. My PB, 13-2, came on 50# braid with a Stanley Titanium spinnerbait, the one with big double willows with the fish scale pattern etched in the blades. I was glad for the braid then, because she bit at the end of a 50 yd cast in about 20 fow. Without the braid, I likely wouldn't have felt her hit as the spinnerbait was free-falling. I wouldn't have got a good hookset, either.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:02 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:03 pm
My setup consists of a TDZ 105H with 5.7 Ito gears and a 6-10 MH Phenix Maxim. Most times, I throw spinnerbaits on straight 17 or 20# mono. However, on really long casts or in deep water, I prefer 50# braid. My PB, 13-2, came on 50# braid with a Stanley Titanium spinnerbait, the one with big double willows with the fish scale pattern etched in the blades. I was glad for the braid then, because she bit at the end of a 50 yd cast in about 20 fow. Without the braid, I likely wouldn't have felt her hit as the spinnerbait was free-falling. I wouldn't have got a good hookset, either.
I’ve been really considering switching to braid.
It may sound stupid but my goto at the moment is my old imx 843 rod with my conquest 100hg. It doubles as my topwater rod like prop baits and pop Max’s
So I think that braid would give me the versatility but at the same time help me get better hook sets with my spinnerbaits coming through the pads.
Which braid are you using?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:21 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:02 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:03 pm
I’ve been really considering switching to braid.
It may sound stupid but my goto at the moment is my old imx 843 rod with my conquest 100hg. It doubles as my topwater rod like prop baits and pop Max’s
So I think that braid would give me the versatility but at the same time help me get better hook sets with my spinnerbaits coming through the pads.
Which braid are you using?
In heavy vegetation like pad stems or cattails, I'd go with original Powerpro. 832 is a good balance of smoother braid that still cuts thru salad well.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:57 am

You are probably going to want to lighten up your rod a little and increase the gauge of the wire on your spinnerbait frame if you throw braid. Braid is really hard on wire frames, and the softer rod is needed to give the fish a little extra time to get your bait. I have an old custom IMX 844 (7' HF) that i like for 1/2 ounce baits when I start adding a second blade and a trailer. I usually use a 6.3 ratio TD Zillion with 16 lb. Sniper in clear water and 20 at night or in dirtier water. My MHX High-Mod Spinnerbait blank build (6'9" MXF) with an SV103H (6.3) and 12-16 lb. Sniper often gets the nod when I throw a 1/2 single bladed bait with no trailer, and lighter baits. I only throw braid when I really have to because I am tired of building spinnerbaits. I have been building them for 40 years. I went through three frames this week fishing the prespawn at night. When the bite is good, you will catch up to 20 fish an hour. I'll sometimes break three baits in a night. Titanium wire helps a bit if you like a bait that has it.

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeep » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:07 am

I've been seriously debating this also. For spinnerbaits and crankbaits. I'm going to give it a shot this year.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:21 pm

One of my buddies met me on the lake for a few hours on Sunday. He is a Shimano staffer that was fishing a Metanium DC with braid to fluoro. He is a big buy that likes to get on the front deck and power fish with me. It works pretty well because he is a lefty and I am a righty. After about an hour of listening to his connection knot hit his guides, followed by the DC reel whine, he was banished to the back of the boat! :lol: It was right next to my ear. Braid wraps around your spinnerbait frame too much and I really dislike the sound of a knot banging in my guides with larger braid to fluoro. I hope that you guys that want to fish straight braid or braid to fluoro are more tolerant of these issues than I am! :crying:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:55 pm

toddmc wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:21 pm
One of my buddies met me on the lake for a few hours on Sunday. He is a Shimano staffer that was fishing a Metanium DC with braid to fluoro. He is a big buy that likes to get on the front deck and power fish with me. It works pretty well because he is a lefty and I am a righty. After about an hour of listening to his connection knot hit his guides, followed by the DC reel whine, he was banished to the back of the boat! :lol: It was right next to my ear. Braid wraps around your spinnerbait frame too much and I really dislike the sound of a knot banging in my guides with larger braid to fluoro. I hope that you guys that want to fish straight braid or braid to fluoro are more tolerant of these issues than I am! :crying:

Was it that bad? Sucks man cause I’m awaiting a conquest hg dc and other than the UtUbe I’ve not heard that song in person but it was my hope to use straight braid for this sb set up on a poison adrena

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:41 pm

goldrod wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:55 pm
toddmc wrote:

Was it that bad? Sucks man cause I’m awaiting a conquest hg dc and other than the UtUbe I’ve not heard that song in person but it was my hope to use straight braid for this sb set up on a poison adrena
Some people love the whine. It gives me a headache.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:30 pm

toddmc wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:41 pm
goldrod wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:55 pm
toddmc wrote:

Some people love the whine. It gives me a headache.
Same here. Like nails across the chalkboard.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:02 pm

1st gen 7 2 mh zodias with 7 gear metanium and 50 lb fx2 is my setup..ive tried a mb javelin and 7 2 mh expride glass for spinnerbaits but always end up going back to the zodias....i think i'll try the 7'5 2nd gen mh zodias when its time to upgrade bc i prefer longer rods....

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:23 pm

My setup is an Expride 7'6"MH with Curado 70 spooled with 30lb Suffix 832 braid with 6' 15lb Tatsu leader. Great for rollcasting to target wood along banks and can also bomb when fishing deeper. I tend to use a 3/4oz MB spinnerbait or ½.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:24 pm

Braid + leader for bomb casts and when using a mod-fast taper, whether it's a 7'2" Evergreen Heracles EG Swimming or a custom MHX CB907 or an OG 7'11" Megabass Cyber Shootist. Otherwise for short to mid range most times it's 12-15 CXX for 3/8-1/2 spinnerbaits on shorter 6'8" - 7'0" rods.

Actually, there are times I have both a shorter med/MH rod with mono/co-poly for 3/8-1/2 and a longer MH/H powered mod/fast tapered rod with braid and leader for bigger/heavier spinnerbaits with me on the water.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."