Equipment for hand tied jigs

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Steffen_82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Equipment for hand tied jigs

Post by Steffen_82 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:38 pm

Hey Guys,

I am trying to get into tying my own jigs. tired of expensive jigs made with that cheap rubber collar.
Anyways, I am looking for recommendations for a decent vice. I will work with tungsten jigs from 3/0 -5/0 in 3/16 oz to 1 oz
Also looking for recommendations for a bobbin and threat that is durable enough for tying jigs.

Any help is appreciated

Steffen

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

vises for hand tied jigs

Post by nctrucker » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:18 am

i'd look at a Dyna-King Kingfisher Fly Tying Vise, renzetti saltwater traveler, maybe a peak or a mongoose. lots to choose from. i have a danvise but prefer my mongoose odyssey.
kevlar thread is available for wrapping but is strong enough to cut thru rubber strands if torqued down too much.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Equipment for hand tied jigs

Post by goldrod » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:17 am

Steffen_82 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:38 pm
Hey Guys,

I am trying to get into tying my own jigs. tired of expensive jigs made with that cheap rubber collar.
Anyways, I am looking for recommendations for a decent vice. I will work with tungsten jigs from 3/0 -5/0 in 3/16 oz to 1 oz
Also looking for recommendations for a bobbin and threat that is durable enough for tying jigs.

Any help is appreciated

Steffen
Same here man.
I just ordered a Vice from TWH for now.
I plan on going to a fly fishing shop later this week. I’ve been collecting the tools and such. Please let us know what you find.
From jigs to spinnerbaits I’m looking to DIY
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:57 am

Steffen_82 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:38 pm
tired of expensive jigs made with that cheap rubber collar.
Amen =D>

On the flip side, if you want a hand tied option, Phenix Baits offers the option of a collar or hand tied variant on a lot of their skirted products.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:37 am

I use an individual strand of copper wire from 12 gauge THHN wire. Wrap it around twice, twist with a pair of needlenose pliers, cut fairly short and fold the tip of the cut wire back over and into the head. I do this to all my jigs. Works like a champ and lasts longer than the skirt.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Steffen_82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steffen_82 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:36 am

Hey guys thx for the input i decided to go with the griffin odyssey.
I got all my equipment ready only waiting on me 210 denier which is supposed to be delivered on Tuesday. I ll keep you posted with the first finished jigs asap.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:23 pm

Invest in a solid vise, I did it with cheap ones and it always was frustrating and now that I got a nice one I run out of jigs or hooks before I realize it

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:00 am

Learn to use 26 gauge floral wire. It is easy, and all that you need is needle nose pliers with a cutter. Place a 5 inch piece of straightened floral wire vertical on a hard surface. Place half of your skirt strands horizontally on top of the wire. Place your jighead horizontally on top of the strands and wire. Place the second half of your strands horizontally on top of the jighead. Use your hands to wrap the floral wire twice around your jighead and skirt strands (you are just getting it started). Lastly, use your needle nose pliers to spin the ends of the wire three to four times. Cut off the excess wire with the cutter on your pliers. Fold the three to four twists of the wire down onto skirt with the needle nose pliers. If you really want your strands to be evenly dispersed, move them into place before you make the last few twists of the loose ends of wire.
You won't have a vice on your boat. I carry a few strands of few dozen colors of skirt material in my boat. I also have extra jigheads in my jig box if I go through the handful of whatever size and color that I have already made up. I am always ready to replace or build a skirt on any skirted bait. It can be done very quickly. I am like Wesley Strader in that I am always ready to build any skirted bait that I may need.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:04 am

toddmc wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:00 am
Learn to use 26 gauge floral wire. It is easy, and all that you need is needle nose pliers with a cutter. Place a 5 inch piece of straightened floral wire vertical on a hard surface. Place half of your skirt strands horizontally on top of the wire. Place your jighead horizontally on top of the strands and wire. Place the second half of your strands horizontally on top of the jighead. Use your hands to wrap the floral wire twice around your jighead and skirt strands (you are just getting it started). Lastly, use your needle nose pliers to spin the ends of the wire three to four times. Cut off the excess wire with the cutter on your pliers. Fold the three to four twists of the wire down onto skirt with the needle nose pliers. If you really want your strands to be evenly dispersed, move them into place before you make the last few twists of the loose ends of wire.
You won't have a vice on your boat. I carry a few strands of few dozen colors of skirt material in my boat. I also have extra jigheads in my jig box if I go through the handful of whatever size and color that I have already made up. I am always ready to replace or build a skirt on any skirted bait. It can be done very quickly. I am like Wesley Strader in that I am always ready to build any skirted bait that I may need.
does it rust?
I had some wire and it was coated but rusted nonetheless..
I am looking for the cooper stuff that was mentioned earlier ...
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:27 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:04 am
toddmc wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:00 am
does it rust?
I had some wire and it was coated but rusted nonetheless..
I am looking for the cooper stuff that was mentioned earlier ...
It is tin. I have never seen it rust for the many years that I have used it. It's made for outdoor use on wet plants. Copper works fine, but it isn't as cheap. In the whole scheme of things, neither will cost you very much in the long run.