Buzzbaits finally worked

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Buzzbaits finally worked

Post by zelmo » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:59 am

In all the years I have been fishing I had never caught a fish on a buzzbait. Of course that lack of success meant I didn't try them very often.

I decided to give them a try again and went to a spot at first light that is usually good for early morning LM topwater action this time of year. I got a nice one on my first cast throwing a black buzzbait. The guy with me tried various other topwater lures, but after I had 3 more in the boat without him getting a rise he asked if I had any more them. He tied on a blue herring pattern and caught fish also.

Was this just the stars aligning or am I on to something that will repeat? The water we were in was just a little stained after a recent downpour which is why I started with black. I was surprised the blue herring color did as well as it did, with no noticeable difference from the black.

This was also the first time I tried the Megastrike Cavitron. Does the brand make that much difference?

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Buzzbaits finally worked

Post by zelmo » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:55 am

Well, I guess the stars were aligned that day. I have been back to the same spot, at the same time in the morning 2 more times and have only caught one bass. That did come on a buzzbait but nothing else worked either.

I guess that’s why it is called fishing and not catching.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:42 am

I’ve always had my best success with buzzbaits in colder months up to spawn.

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:49 pm

I need to try the cold water buzzbait action, because I have exactly 1 fish caught on a buzzbait in 30 years of bass fishing. I usually throw them post spawn so maybe the 50-70 degree water pre-spawn is the trick. Funny, the lure I did catch one on was a Cavitron as well! I've thrown Aaron Marten's Hog Snatcher, and the Picasso Dinner Bell, been wanting to try a Jamaica Boa...

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:31 pm

Theres nothing like a buzz bait bite. Congratulations , sometimes we give up too soon but youve seem to have broken the code and it only gets better from where you are now. I love buzzbaits and i perfer lunker lure ( i am reading that they changed the blade and it is not the same as it once was. I don't know if that holds true ) but i like the loudbuzz by evergreen. When you get a good one keep it and change the skirt material if you have to but dont let it go.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:03 pm

What line are you using?