Yamamoto Single tail grubs

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Yamamoto Single tail grubs

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:02 am

Was wondering if who fishes these, and if so how are you rigging it?
I was thinking of hooking mine onto a dart head, but it seems the hook on many of them are kinda of weak.
Any suggestions, thoughts, input?
Thanks in advance!

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Yamamoto Single tail grubs

Post by njbasscat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:47 am

I fish them on a round jig head. I drag them and slowly swim them for smallies. I use jig heads with Gama hooks.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:15 am

zodiak311 wrote:Was wondering if who fishes these, and if so how are you rigging it?
I was thinking of hooking mine onto a dart head, but it seems the hook on many of them are kinda of weak.
Any suggestions, thoughts, input?
Thanks in advance!
Most darter heads and small round heads that are 1/8oz and less usually use aberdeen hooks which aren't bad, they bend but rarely break as they are designed to bend in order to free up snags. It doesn't matter which hook brand you use, they are all pretty close to the same wire diameter, so what you want to look for are heads, darter or round, that have a 1/0 hook. They will still be an aberdeen hook but when you hit 1/0 the wire is a little heavier. BTW, those aberdeen hooks on ball head ans darter head jigs are perfect for fishing a grub, as long as you aren't in heavy cover and using 30 lb braid you will be fine.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:28 am

I use the screw in bullet weights and a Gammy hook. The baits get tore up pretty quick with this though and I'm looking into using some football head jigs, ball head jigs, etc. Kind of like below:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Zipper_F ... -ZFFB.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/VMC_Ike_ ... VMCRJ.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Zipper_F ... -ZFBH.html

Bass pro makers one that has a bullet weight on the front.

tosakilla
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tosakilla » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:00 am

They are nice and have some great colors but they are a one fish bait, which takes up time and money. For certain colors I'll use them but otherwise I use action plastics or kalins.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:28 am

tosakilla wrote:They are nice and have some great colors but they are a one fish bait, which takes up time and money. For certain colors I'll use them but otherwise I use action plastics or kalins.
I tend to get more bited on the Yamamotos than I do the Kalins, and they have better colors. I can usually squeeze 2-4 fish out of a bait with some finesse and innovative rigging.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:55 pm

Thanks for the great suggestions thus far. Has any one of you guys ever use the scrounger heads?
I am going to be hitting some small mouth next week! What colors are working for you all?

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:30 pm

You cant beat the mushroom head jigs from http://www.gophertackle.com for smallies.

Different colors, hooks mfg's and hook sizes.

I got into them watching Midwest outdoors awhile back and never looked back, try them u wont be dissapointed.

They fit perfectly on GYCB grubs and ika's, I use 1/8 with a 2/0 mustad hook/black head.

The jig's give the plastic a different action cause i've fished them side by side with round jig heads and get more strikes with the gopher's.

Oops almost forgot I use a tiny dab of gorilla glue on the jig collar when rigging a grub and they last for many fish. I only use green pumpkin & Green Pmpkn Green and purple flake and rig several for when i go fishing and after i start to run out i rig several more to let the glue do it's job. Plastic colors depend on what color works in your lakes.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:42 am

BASSLAYER wrote:You cant beat the mushroom head jigs from http://www.gophertackle.com for smallies.

I got into them watching Midwest outdoors awhile back and never looked back, try them u wont be dissapointed.

They fit perfectly on GYCB grubs and ika's, I use 1/8 with a 2/0 mustad hook/black head.

The jig's give the plastic a different action cause i've fished them side by side with round jig heads and get more strikes with the gopher's.

Oops almost forgot I use a tiny dab of gorilla glue on the jig collar when rigging a grub and they last for many fish. I only use green pumpkin & Green Pmpkn Green and purple flake and rig several for when i go fishing and after i start to run out i rig several more to let the glue do it's job. Plastic colors depend on what color works in your lakes.
Thanks for the info Slayer. What are the sizes of the grubs you are using on that 1/8 oz 2/0 hook?

Hammy
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Hammy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:07 am

zodiak311 wrote:
BASSLAYER wrote:You cant beat the mushroom head jigs from http://www.gophertackle.com for smallies.

Thanks for the info Slayer. What are the sizes of the grubs you are using on that 1/8 oz 2/0 hook?
I use a 2/0 on a 3" grub.. I use a 3/0 on the 4" and 5". Good luck!!

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:59 am

Back in september the bass were keyed on small bait fish and woulndt touch the usual topwaters or lipless cranks. So i found a pack of the 4" in pearl white with black and silver flake and put it on a 1/4 oz arkie ball jig head. The ones you find at walmart with the gold hooks. These hooks are thick and strong at least 2x strong quality. I just cast it out and close the bail as soon as the bait hit the water and let it pendulum back and the fish were crushing it. GY single tail grubs saved the day!

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:05 am

Poor Boy also make a good "generic" mushroom jig head with the right hook.

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:41 pm

steve1206 wrote:Poor Boy also make a good "generic" mushroom jig head with the right hook.
:lol: Yo steve i dont think the term "generic" is in most TT members vocabulary as most sling lead with $1K+ combos.

They do make a mean Darter tho, the Erie in mango magic. ;)

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:20 pm

1 up for the gopher heads

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:44 pm

BASSLAYER wrote:
steve1206 wrote:Poor Boy also make a good "generic" mushroom jig head with the right hook.
:lol: Yo steve i dont think the term "generic" is in most TT members vocabulary as most sling lead with $1K+ combos.

They do make a mean Darter tho, the Erie in mango magic. ;)
LOL...Its quality, just unpainted...and I'm very guilty of the $1K plus combos myself...no news to me. :lol: