Favorite Flipping Hook Knot

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
ChrisD46
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Favorite Flipping Hook Knot

Post by ChrisD46 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:34 pm

What is your favorite knot to use with a flipping hook ? ...If you snell the hook / line please explain what line you use and advantage of snelling .

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Favorite Flipping Hook Knot

Post by smalljaw » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:49 am

50lb Suffix 832 ghost is the line I use on flipping hooks and I have snelled my hooks and I have used a regular double palomar and I didn't find any amazing difference to say one was better than the other to be honest. The snell works great but it takes a bit as you have to make sure the bait keepers on the hooks don't get caught up and mess your knot up. I think there are 2 advantages of using a snell, the first is the hook itself, I doubt you could do any damage to a hook as you are pulling on the hook shaft instead of the eye. The other advantage is you do get a cantilever effect when you set the hook so you are more likely to hook the fish in the top of the mouth. The thing for me is the double palomar has worked just as well and it is quicker to tie, the reason I started using it was I used it to tie my jigs on when I flip jigs and I figured it is works with the jigs it should be ok for hooks and it was, in fact when I thought about it I was using it long before the snell became popular and we didn't have hooks made just for flipping. That is my take on it but I don't have matts to punch in my waters and while it is possible to have a bass in the 10lb range take my bait, it is highly unlikely so in reality I'm looking at solid 5lb fish as what I'm probably going to encounter so it is different in my perspective.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:08 am

I've discussed this before but for some reason I just can't get the snelled straight shank combo to work for me. Yes I'm tying the knot correctly. It isn't the snell knots fault anyway because even if I tie a Palomar with a straight shank I still can't hook fish consistently. It's something I'm personally doing incorrect, hook set motion, hook set firmness, rod, line who knows. Bottom line is it doesn't work for me.

What does work is an Owner Twistlock flipping hook with a Palomar. I've not had a knot problem yet using 65# PPS8S and the good ole Palomar so it's still my favorite.

Bryanp292
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryanp292 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:57 pm

John Puckett wrote:What does work is an Owner Twistlock flipping hook with a Palomar. I've not had a knot problem yet using 65# PPS8S and the good ole Palomar so it's still my favorite.
X2. Palomar knot is the easiest and a favorite of mine.

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by grantman83 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:49 pm

My problem with snelling is that the line tie is blocked and doesn't allow me to easily put a toothpick through the eye. I do this even with hooks with keepers because most hook keepers slide down regardless....It is a good knot however.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:10 am

I know the palmoar knot is incredibly popular with flipping and pitching, but for me to get one to not break on a hook set(with braid) I find that I have to tie a doubled-line palomar....which is kind of a pain in the a$$ and I have still broken a few ( I have a feeling it has to do with the double line stacking on itself)... I don't like to tie a quick snell on the water because I will sometimes poke a finger with the hook point and start bleeding, not a big deal but if it is your cranking hand it can be a bit uncomfortable for a few minutes.

I have since gone back to a straight up UNI knot and haven't had any problems to speak of.
65 lb braid and a single line 8 turn UNI has yet to break on a hookset and I am happy with a 7:10 hookup ratio on bites, and with the way you get legs and appendages bitten off of flipping plastics the ones I miss usually come up missing parts and I feel they weren't full bites anyway. When I flip//pitch it is in the JUNGLE... my two cents

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:06 am

I learned how to snell a straight shank flipping hook hook from a mentor when I started flipping and have had mostly positive hookups in roof of fishes mouth. The tension to the hook set when it comes htrough pulls the shank just right!

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:28 pm

I guess the best knot for me is the one that doesn't fail. For me that has been the San Diego Jam knot, I've been using it for years and I've never had a failure at the knot.

I do think tying a knot that you know & do well is often more important than the type of knot.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:21 am

I snell my flipping hooks for short range. Either palomar or other knot for casting. I found better hookup ratios for that.

Btw, digging up an 8 year old thread is more zombie-like than Zander's swimbaits tackle.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:21 am

Snell knot on a straight shank and double Palomar on EWG superline.