What is your best drop shot lure?

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Mothercanucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What is your best drop shot lure?

Post by Mothercanucker » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:15 pm

Yamamoto shad shape worm
Jackall crosstail
Nothing beats a "wacky" live nightcrawler for me.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:05 pm

Mothercanucker wrote:Yamamoto shad shape worm
Jackall crosstail
Nothing beats a "wacky" live nightcrawler for me.
Takahiro killed it in the Classics drop shotting that Yanamoto shade!

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:08 pm

Silas wrote:Have been watching this tread with great interest since I don't reall drop shot. Waters here are kind of muddy

Just today we opened the Bonnet Carre Spilway flood control to divert the Mississippi. Next week we open the Morganza Spillway to divert even more. Most waters around me will rise and muddy up quick.

Last night I ordered around 8 different lures that you guys mentioned along with some hooks and weights. Going to put all the drop shot stuff in a different soft tackle bag. Put a new Shimano Twinpower on an Aaron Marten Megabass Rod and will wait about 3 weeks for water to go down.

Any tips for shallow muddy water? Deepest bayou here is 20 feet and will fish some drop offs near flats where bayou turns.
Don't get too caught up in baits. I think the common consensus is that the baits must be small and float. If you take a lot of these baits and watch them in the water, not a lot of them actually float parallel to the bottom like shown on many diagrams. They just sag on the hook.

You can drop shot any bait in any kind of water. I see it as keeping your bait in the strike zone longer. I started drop shotting wacky rigs in deep water because I wanted to control how high I wanted the bait off the bottom when I let it flutter down. You can't really judge that when your just lifting line. I've drop shotted sweet beavers with success in dirty water. It's all about commotion in dirty water. I drop it down and then shake and pause, shake and pause. You can drag and drop and do all kinds of combinations. When the bass can't see that well, they use their lateral line to sense moving objects for food.

Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse68 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:34 pm

Usually roboworms or flies like a wooly bugger, or a shad pattern. For muddy water chartreuse, or more often a black or purple color. It's crazy how much a wooly bugger looks like a craw in the water.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:12 am

Not getting too caught up in the baits = really good and sound advice.

Pick a bait that floats level and several mentioned here are killers.

Brad

cure-hb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cure-hb » Sun May 15, 2016 7:16 am

Jackall Cross Tail Shad and Gary yamamoto senkos

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Mon May 16, 2016 9:59 am

I own a ton of baits that work fine for dropshot but 9/10 times all I use is 4.5" Roboworm straight tail in Aaron's Magic and Prism Shad. The only baits that have caught my eye that I haven't tried are the Z-Man 4" finesse worms but given how infrequently I drop shot, it's gonna be a while before all my Robos are gone.

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Tue May 17, 2016 5:28 am

Just started using the LUnkerhunt Bento Minnow 3" in Parrot. Wow!!!

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:53 am

1. 4" Yamamoto shad shape worm (various colors)
2. 4" zoom meathead in watermelon
3. Zoom finesse worm (various) but I do like red bug shad a lot.

All are rigged with 1/0 wide gap gamakatsu hooks. Whatever weight is called for.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:36 am

Havock Money Maker for a slow bite and Power Team Lures Hammer Shad for when it's not.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:56 am

Finicky SM = wacky rigged crosstail shad. There is something about how it shimmies when you just wiggle it slightly that drive clear water sight fish crazy.
Eating SM = Any bulkier options that have been mentioned before, like I-Shad, Shad Shape Worm, and locally on the Great Lakes, X-Zone Slammer (Thank god they are back!)
Sleeper = Tube Jig. This was one of the original DS options up here before specialty baits became available, and it seems to be a lost technique now.
LM= Roboworm straight and Lake Fork Magic Shad.

JTinKC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JTinKC » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:09 pm

Roboworm, Aaron's magic.

fishingcreekoutdoors
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingcreekoutdoors » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:22 am

Heronimo wrote:no one mentioned the yamamoto shad shaped worm?
THIS IS MY MAN

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:29 am

BucketHunter wrote:Finicky SM = wacky rigged crosstail shad. There is something about how it shimmies when you just wiggle it slightly that drive clear water sight fish crazy.
Eating SM = Any bulkier options that have been mentioned before, like I-Shad, Shad Shape Worm, and locally on the Great Lakes, X-Zone Slammer (Thank god they are back!)
Sleeper = Tube Jig. This was one of the original DS options up here before specialty baits became available, and it seems to be a lost technique now.
LM= Roboworm straight and Lake Fork Magic Shad.
I agree on the x zone. Very nice bait. I also use crosstail shads and dreamshots. I have also had some luck drop shoting a tube nose hooked.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:42 am

Reins Bubbling Shaker. Amazing dropshot bait. It's outperformed every other one I've used.