keitech 2.8 rigging

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

keitech 2.8 rigging

Post by romans » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:43 pm

I am wanting to give this size a try this year. I would like to try this on a jig head but am struggling to find jig heads that don't have 3/0 hooks (or bigger) or jig heads that dont have heavy gage hooks. There are some at TW that look good but they don't give hook size on the ones I am interested in. I am looking I guess for more of a "finesse" jig head to try with these baits. I am planning to throw these on lighter tackle
I read where you can just texas rig with a bullet weight which is an option and would solve the hook dilemma for me.
So how are you guys rigging these 2.8 baits? If you are using a jig head please give details on jig head. Maybe my thinking is all wrong on the rigging of these.
Thanks

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: keitech 2.8 rigging

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:55 pm

I use them on a Jackall Derabreak. 3/16 and quarter ounce.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:49 am

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about finesse swimbaits:

For the 2.8 Swing Impact FAT:

-Picasso Gama 2X heads, in #1 size. So you have 1/16 or 1/8. The 2/0 versions work, but a bit big for the 2.8".
-Personal favorite are Decoy Nail Bomb's in #2. Only have 3/32 here though and best found on auction sites.
-The Molix Racing Jigheads are great for the 2.8 also, and have 1/16 to 3/16 available. I use these a lot with 10lb braid as the weedguard isn't overly stiff.
-Revenge Darter Heads in 1/8 and 3/16, the 1/4 has a 1/0 while the aforementioned have a #1, the 1/0 is a tad big.
-Zman Finesse Shroomz work, a bit small, but offer different weight options.

I could keep going specifically, but it is easiest to just look for a #1 hook size, some companies 1/0 works, some companies even a #2 works. Just trial and error for what you like. For me, the Picasso fit best, I just wish they made a 3/16, therefore the Revenge is a good match, just the hook quality isn't the same. I would personally go with the Molix heads, they have an OMTD hook (very underrated brand) and you can always cut off the weedguard if need be. I planned to do a write up on Keitech fishing, from 2.8 to 7.8, just never got around to posting it. Also had Easy Shiner sizes and most available matching jigheads/hooks for them, just not done writing it yet...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:11 am

I use that size Kietech on the Zman Shroomz head, the ones made for their TRD worms (flanders/ned rig). The 1/10 oz heads plus 2.8 Swing Impact is perfect with my BFS setups.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:48 am

How about a ball head jig? We fish small swimbaits on 1/8-3/8oz ball heads, but not really swimming them. I like the Gamakatsu Round jig, and they come in different size hooks. Picasso makes some nice tungsten versions with multiple hook options.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:55 am

1/4 Bass Patrol Football Jigs work too. Assuming you are fishing with a jig, I have pulled the skirt off before as they make a perfect weedless head for a 2.8" in a green pumpkin style color. There are tons of heads that work from cheap crappie jigheads at any local tackle shop to higher end tungsten heads with premium hooks.

Weedless is important to me, just depends on what is best for you. If fishing really deep water a heavier (3/8+) head with a small hook might be tougher to find.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:41 pm

I like to use a small Draggin'/Sled/Crawler head with the 2.8's, I tend to fish them on the bottom more the swimming them, for that I think the Easy Shiner body style works a bit better.

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:58 pm

2nd vote for the Revenge Darter Hedz here, perfect size and a great looking bait.

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by romans » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:31 pm

Thanks for the replies, definitely have a direction to go in now. I had read somewhere about a 1/0 hook being good for 3 inch swimbaits but all the better knowing a size one is what I want. A ballhead jig head is fine with me, but finding even those with a hook smaller than 2/0 is somewhat challenging.Thanks again!

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:25 am

Dirty jigs offers a head and also the owner Ned head works great
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

teamdaiwa5
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by teamdaiwa5 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:16 am

Get in touch with a custom guy. You can have whatever hooks you want. I get them by the 100's each year in different weights/hook sizes. Cheaper than the store jigheads as well.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:31 am

Slightly unrelated side note, for the 3.3" Keitech's I use the Owner Bullet Heads, which are 1/0 hooks with weights of 1/16, 1/8, and 3/16. I love them and they are a perfect fit which has accounted for thousands of fish. Problem I noticed yesterday was 2 of them I left sitting in the car (WITHOUT Keitech's rigged up) were rusted so bad I could snap them. There are tons of other hooks/jigheads in the back area of my SUV that contain no rust, some even have salted plastics on them. Owner is still my favorite hook brand, but you might be hesitant or at least consider that because I have had multiple rusting issues with their products.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:27 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Slightly unrelated side note, for the 3.3" Keitech's I use the Owner Bullet Heads, which are 1/0 hooks with weights of 1/16, 1/8, and 3/16. I love them and they are a perfect fit which has accounted for thousands of fish. Problem I noticed yesterday was 2 of them I left sitting in the car (WITHOUT Keitech's rigged up) were rusted so bad I could snap them. There are tons of other hooks/jigheads in the back area of my SUV that contain no rust, some even have salted plastics on them. Owner is still my favorite hook brand, but you might be hesitant or at least consider that because I have had multiple rusting issues with their products.
Take the baits off and wash the hooks when you get home. We have to do this with all our gear in saltwater no matter what it is. Not a big deal. It’s weird they are rusting in freshwater, and more than other hooks you are using. We normally see the same amount of rust on all terminal tackle except for tinned hooks.

teamdaiwa5
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by teamdaiwa5 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:04 pm

Off topic, but not. If anyone is looking for the best way I've found to store the Keitech packs, this is literally perfect. https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Plano_W ... -PBWS.html

I like to keep them in their packs to avoid bent tails or bleeding.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:24 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Slightly unrelated side note, for the 3.3" Keitech's I use the Owner Bullet Heads, which are 1/0 hooks with weights of 1/16, 1/8, and 3/16. I love them and they are a perfect fit which has accounted for thousands of fish. Problem I noticed yesterday was 2 of them I left sitting in the car (WITHOUT Keitech's rigged up) were rusted so bad I could snap them. There are tons of other hooks/jigheads in the back area of my SUV that contain no rust, some even have salted plastics on them. Owner is still my favorite hook brand, but you might be hesitant or at least consider that because I have had multiple rusting issues with their products.
Take the baits off and wash the hooks when you get home. We have to do this with all our gear in saltwater no matter what it is. Not a big deal. It’s weird they are rusting in freshwater, and more than other hooks you are using. We normally see the same amount of rust on all terminal tackle except for tinned hooks.
I have a roll of mechanic towels in the SUV, I try and wipe most hooks off well... Especially the ones that are still on rod/reels and hanging in the hook keeper (rusted a hook keeper smooth through one time, lesson learned). Just seems to me that Owner hooks (some models) rust worse to me. Ironically, their treble hooks never really have shown this. But again I have a huge variety of baits/hooks/jigs in the back of our tow vehicle, and only the bullet heads rusted this bad. They are one of our most used setups too because of the weedless rigging on Keitech 3.3" FATS.
teamdaiwa5 wrote:Off topic, but not. If anyone is looking for the best way I've found to store the Keitech packs, this is literally perfect. https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Plano_W ... -PBWS.html

I like to keep them in their packs to avoid bent tails or bleeding.
I bought a KVD Plano bag on sale at Wal-Mart a while back. Was normally like $25 something and I got it for $15. I keep Keitech FATS in the middle, but had to trim some of the packages down, like the 5.8" size. On the sides I keep extra swimbait hooks/heads and Easy Shiners on the other. The front is full of smaller sizes, 2.8" and 3" Easy Shiners. Agreed, is a perfect little bag for a swimbait container.