keitech 2.8 rigging

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: keitech 2.8 rigging

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:28 am

The keitech football jigs are made for those.
This is the way.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:01 am

I use the revenge darter heads in 1/8 or 3/16 oz, and rig these on my finesse underspins. I think dirty jigs offers one as well, I believe it's called a guppy head? Tactical Bassin did a youtube video on finesse swimbait rigging pretty recently.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:13 pm

Trokar Boxing Glove 1/8 jig head pairs great with 2.8 fats and super sharp.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:46 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:11 am
I use that size Kietech on the Zman Shroomz head, the ones made for their TRD worms (flanders/ned rig). The 1/10 oz heads plus 2.8 Swing Impact is perfect with my BFS setups.
Do you find the hooks in the Ashton jig heads to rust easily?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:54 pm

Warhawk wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:46 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
I use that size Kietech on the Zman Shroomz head, the ones made for their TRD worms (flanders/ned rig). The 1/10 oz heads plus 2.8 Swing Impact is perfect with my BFS setups.
I have noticed a little rust on the hook, right where it comes out of the bait, but nothing too terrible. I think it is because the bait is heavily salted.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:51 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:54 pm
Warhawk wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:46 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
I have noticed a little rust on the hook, right where it comes out of the bait, but nothing too terrible. I think it is because the bait is heavily salted.
Probably so, if I forget to take off the plastic, I just cut off and throw away the jig head, the hook will be so rusty I can easily break it with my fingers. I use Z-Man plastic 99% of the time.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:57 am

I recently bought a big order of the Decoy Nail Bomb jig heads, #1 and #2 hooks for the 3" and 3.5" Easy Shiners. The #1 also works okay for the 3.3" SI Fat, just doesn't really offer as much bite as the other jigheads I mentioned. This being said, I messed up and left a few Keitech's on the Nail Bombs because I was excited to use them... After more than a couple of weeks, not a bit of rust. Again, I know the Owner jigheads/hooks rusting is mainly due to my error, just that I have noticed they rust more readily than others. Maybe I catch more fish with them and the coating is coming off??? Regardless Owner is still one of if not my top brand and I am always more interested in a product that uses their always premium level hooks.

Cali
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cali » Tue May 21, 2019 12:57 pm

Anyone try the smallest Owner Flashy Swimmer on these?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed May 22, 2019 8:28 pm

Nihility wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:57 pm
Anyone try the smallest Owner Flashy Swimmer on these?
I have, and it works pretty well, but you'll go through them fairly quickly if they're biting. Another guy mentioned that those work better with the 3.3's, but I haven't tried that yet because I didn't have any. The closest thing Academy had was the Strike King 3.25 version, so I bought a pack but I still haven't had a chance to try them.
This is the way.

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:08 am

The 2.8 swing impact fat Keitech is my go to starting bait throughout the spring till all the fish have started moving up on beds. I fish this bait exclusively for smb on great lakes, inland lakes, and rivers. Your making the best chioce with 2.8. Basically your its a finesse moving bait that helps you cover areas where fish move up to feed and get ready for beds. This is the ideal time to really see the true effectiveness of the Keitech.

Since your newer to this technique, buy yourself a couple of "cheap" jig heads like kailins daters in 1/16 to 1/8. To save money and persevere expensive keitechs, buy yourself a bottle of super glue with the tiny brush and glue the keitech nose to hook keeper. You'll thank you for it later lol.

Okay 1/8 in depths 10'to 15' deep or in heavy winds. Then for everything shallower than 10' go with the 1/16th oz jig.

Start by throwing it long distances and retrieve it back slowly along the bottom. Let water temp tell you the best retrive, in cold water go slow and the closer it is you can swim it at a decent speed but the point of the keitech with its supersoftness, it will produces a tantalizing paddle tail movement with the slightest movement. So fish confidently that the bait is down there doing the right thing. Light jigs slow the presentation and give the bait a subtle fall and glide.

Smallies and either around various rock and light weed areas scavenging the bottom for gobies and fish feeding down or near the bottom will eat keitech swam slowly across the bottom. When you find suspended fish or fish holding to large hard ambush areas they are positioning to stay out of sight a ambush prey swiming above them. So find structure and swim bait slowly over covet or suspended fish to trigger the fish with eyes towards the sky.

Lightweight jig heads allow you to control your baits through shallow water scenerios like these.

You can use the cheap kailins jigs to start or go straight for the best jigs if you like quality, chasing trophy fish, or fishing a bass derby.

My old reliable ball head is good for fishing around rocks but can do light weedbed fishing if totally necessary. Owner ball heads in the same sizes mentioned earlier are flawless along rocky bottoms where other brand hooks exposed tip will roll over when snagged. Owner stays sharp all the way thru.

If you really want to slim the head profile try a tungsten jig in the same lightweight heads models for more sensitivity. I the keitech brand ball heads also feature a shorter light wire hook which is key because the shorter shanked hook is closer to the swimbait head, which allows the tail to kick wide and in a stronger fashion because there is not a long hook inhibiting tail movement. Keitech tungsten heads also are available with weed guards in case you come into weeds!

Now that you have all the bait information, it is important to fish these finesse swimbaits to their fullest potential and that is dictated by your spinning combo.

Find a long 7'6" spinning rod from light to medium light (some medium rods are good too). This is to get the furthest casting rods that load up and launch these tiny little baits. Slap a 2500 or 3000 sized reel on it and spool it with 10 lb braid. Attach a 6'-to-8 ' long 8lb flourocarbon leader. Tie the leader with FG knot or Alberto. This is the ideal setup for finesse swimbait fishing. Everything worked together will help you perfect this bait!

WPrich
Angler
Angler

Post by WPrich » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:38 pm

ChubbyGoby28 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:08 am
The 2.8 swing impact fat Keitech is my go to starting bait throughout the spring till all the fish have started moving up on beds. I fish this bait exclusively for smb on great lakes, inland lakes, and rivers. Your making the best chioce with 2.8. Basically your its a finesse moving bait that helps you cover areas where fish move up to feed and get ready for beds. This is the ideal time to really see the true effectiveness of the Keitech.

Since your newer to this technique, buy yourself a couple of "cheap" jig heads like kailins daters in 1/16 to 1/8. To save money and persevere expensive keitechs, buy yourself a bottle of super glue with the tiny brush and glue the keitech nose to hook keeper. You'll thank you for it later lol.

Okay 1/8 in depths 10'to 15' deep or in heavy winds. Then for everything shallower than 10' go with the 1/16th oz jig.

Start by throwing it long distances and retrieve it back slowly along the bottom. Let water temp tell you the best retrive, in cold water go slow and the closer it is you can swim it at a decent speed but the point of the keitech with its supersoftness, it will produces a tantalizing paddle tail movement with the slightest movement. So fish confidently that the bait is down there doing the right thing. Light jigs slow the presentation and give the bait a subtle fall and glide.

Smallies and either around various rock and light weed areas scavenging the bottom for gobies and fish feeding down or near the bottom will eat keitech swam slowly across the bottom. When you find suspended fish or fish holding to large hard ambush areas they are positioning to stay out of sight a ambush prey swiming above them. So find structure and swim bait slowly over covet or suspended fish to trigger the fish with eyes towards the sky.

Lightweight jig heads allow you to control your baits through shallow water scenerios like these.

You can use the cheap kailins jigs to start or go straight for the best jigs if you like quality, chasing trophy fish, or fishing a bass derby.

My old reliable ball head is good for fishing around rocks but can do light weedbed fishing if totally necessary. Owner ball heads in the same sizes mentioned earlier are flawless along rocky bottoms where other brand hooks exposed tip will roll over when snagged. Owner stays sharp all the way thru.

If you really want to slim the head profile try a tungsten jig in the same lightweight heads models for more sensitivity. I the keitech brand ball heads also feature a shorter light wire hook which is key because the shorter shanked hook is closer to the swimbait head, which allows the tail to kick wide and in a stronger fashion because there is not a long hook inhibiting tail movement. Keitech tungsten heads also are available with weed guards in case you come into weeds!

Now that you have all the bait information, it is important to fish these finesse swimbaits to their fullest potential and that is dictated by your spinning combo.

Find a long 7'6" spinning rod from light to medium light (some medium rods are good too). This is to get the furthest casting rods that load up and launch these tiny little baits. Slap a 2500 or 3000 sized reel on it and spool it with 10 lb braid. Attach a 6'-to-8 ' long 8lb flourocarbon leader. Tie the leader with FG knot or Alberto. This is the ideal setup for finesse swimbait fishing. Everything worked together will help you perfect this bait!
Glad I found this great informative post that I needed!! Finesse swimbaits are one of my techniques I plan to work on in 2022 and you gave a blue print.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:28 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Yep. Same here. I just treat the bait like I would a ned rig which for me is mostly just swimming it along. I'll also use them as trailers for tiny jigs which I use as mini swim jigs with BFS gear.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:30 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:28 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Yep. Same here. I just treat the bait like I would a ned rig which for me is mostly just swimming it along. I'll also use them as trailers for tiny jigs which I use as mini swim jigs with BFS gear.
To be clear I'm speaking about the 2.8 Crazy Flapper. Haven't thrown their paddle tails.