Zoom Trick Worm Texas Style

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Zoom Trick Worm Texas Style

Post by goldrod » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:18 pm

I’m looking for some tips to increase the bite and to better present the lure.
I’m thinking that I’m using too big of a hook 4/0 Gammy EWG 12# floro
I feel it would probably be best to use a smaller hook or different style hook.
Any suggestions would be great
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Zoom Trick Worm Texas Style

Post by johns » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:40 pm

I fish the Zoom trick worm weightless using different size hooks for different rates of fall and depth. Usually a 1/0 to a 4/0 ewg hook , but mostly a 2/0. You wouldnt think so but the size hook also effects the casting distance.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:00 pm

I use 3/0 and 4/0 round bend offset shank worm hooks. I started missing fish when I went to wide gap hooks, so I went back to what works for me.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:52 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:00 pm
I use 3/0 and 4/0 round bend offset shank worm hooks. I started missing fish when I went to wide gap hooks, so I went back to what works for me.
Thanks Tim
I’ll make the switch cause I have lost some fish too
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:25 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Agree very much, a weightless Trickworm is one of my most used presentations and I have found that a 3/0 Owner medium wire straight shank gives the best hookups, with a 3/0 Owner medium wire offset being almost as good while giving a ton better plastic life.

I have a mild obsession with finding my "perfect" weightless Trickworm rod, I made a long navel-gazing post about it here a year or two ago. I was trying to make 16lb Sniper work but have still never found the rod/reel combo that will let me use it effectively.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:55 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:25 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Agree very much, a weightless Trickworm is one of my most used presentations and I have found that a 3/0 Owner medium wire straight shank gives the best hookups, with a 3/0 Owner medium wire offset being almost as good while giving a ton better plastic life.

I have a mild obsession with finding my "perfect" weightless Trickworm rod, I made a long navel-gazing post about it here a year or two ago. I was trying to make 16lb Sniper work but have still never found the rod/reel combo that will let me use it effectively.
but how deep?
seems like a long weight for it to hit the bottom

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:32 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:55 pm
but how deep?
Oh, very very shallow, surface twitching to maybe 3-4' at most. I am surrounded by shallow marshes with varying levels of pad cover and submerged wood, a weightless Trickworm is ideal for that sort of fishing imho. I want heavier line to deal with the heaver padded areas and want to stick with fluoro as it's almost entirely a slackline presentation and a lot of the time my line is draped over stuff so I want max vibration transmission. Switching to braid-leader would make it a much easier search.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:46 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:32 pm
goldrod wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:55 pm
but how deep?
Oh, very very shallow, surface twitching to maybe 3-4' at most. I am surrounded by shallow marshes with varying levels of pad cover and submerged wood, a weightless Trickworm is ideal for that sort of fishing imho. I want heavier line to deal with the heaver padded areas and want to stick with fluoro as it's almost entirely a slackline presentation and a lot of the time my line is draped over stuff so I want max vibration transmission. Switching to braid-leader would make it a much easier search.

I’ll be in a place like that soon and will give it a shot

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:46 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:46 pm

I’ll be in a place like that soon and will give it a shot
Good luck! I usually start out with a slow lift-n-dip retrieve and move to faster twitching if they seem agressive.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:12 pm

Maybe I need to downsize, I've been using a 5/0 trokar