Weighted worms

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Weighted worms

Post by zelmo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:50 am

I have always fished 4" and 5" Senkos Texas rigged and weightless. I was out yesterday and the grass was thick in some spots so I decided to put a bullet weight on that Texas rig. Low and behold I caught fish consistently.

After thinking about it some I started wondering if the Senko was the best choice of worm for that application. My understanding of the appeal to fish is the shimmying that worm does, and I never fished them with a weight thinking it would cut it down.

Is that correct? Should I just use Senkos wacky rigged and go to some other type of worm like a ribbontail when using a bullet weight and Texas rig?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Weighted worms

Post by Johnny A » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:19 am

My advice, for what it’s worth, use what’s catchin’ them!

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:39 pm

A Senko catches fish no matter how you rig it--something with the shape and salt or something. On the CA Delta I'll put a 3/16 oz tungsten bullet weight in front of my Senko when the current is really moving and it catches them.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:26 pm

I refuse to put a sinker on a senko. That is what ribbon tails are for. Ruining the action with a sinker hurts me on a spiritual level. I don't care what the fish think. They are wrong too. [-(

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:50 pm

Lowrange, I agree. Fully.

But my fishing partner constantly puts fish in the boat on a weighted senko.

It's to the point where it has become a running joke. He'll catch another fish on a weighted senko and say "Yep, weighted Senko's don't catch fish".

One day I was fishing the upper niagara river, which has a real strong current. A boat drifting beside us was hooking up 2-1 compared to us. Asked what they were using....senkos with 1/2 ounce weight....

I tried to imagine what they looked like on bottom, but I guess the fish didn't care.
1-2%