Looking for Something like Jackall Cover Craw or Fat Ika

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Looking for Something like Jackall Cover Craw or Fat Ika

Post by Drakestar » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:51 pm

I got myself a couple packs of that DriftCraw. It drifts like crazy indeed! Been throwing it on 50lbs straight braid and it'll swim down into structure very well. It takes forever to do it, though - not the most fun I've had fishing, you're just line-watching as it slowly drifts down. Requires small hooks - 2/0! - and you'll probably want a thick wire because of where you're throwing it. I found a VMC in 2/0 that works, and Gamakatsu makes their SuperLine hooks down to the 2/0 size, as well. (Owner Jungle hooks only starts at 3/0).

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:49 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:51 pm
I got myself a couple packs of that DriftCraw. It drifts like crazy indeed! Been throwing it on 50lbs straight braid and it'll swim down into structure very well. It takes forever to do it, though - not the most fun I've had fishing, you're just line-watching as it slowly drifts down. Requires small hooks - 2/0! - and you'll probably want a thick wire because of where you're throwing it. I found a VMC in 2/0 that works, and Gamakatsu makes their SuperLine hooks down to the 2/0 size, as well. (Owner Jungle hooks only starts at 3/0).
Thank you. I'll check it out.

I just found Keitech Tube, and bought 2 packs. It's 1/2oz by itself, and they recommend a 5/0 hook, so this thing should fall faster than Fat Ika. It could be good or bad, depending on the situation. I also found a creature bait from Duo Realis. I haven't bought it yet.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:25 pm

MK49 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:49 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:51 pm
Thank you. I'll check it out.

I just found Keitech Tube, and bought 2 packs. It's 1/2oz by itself, and they recommend a 5/0 hook, so this thing should fall faster than Fat Ika. It could be good or bad, depending on the situation. I also found a creature bait from Duo Realis. I haven't bought it yet.
The Salty Core Tube is what I fish most of the time (it backslides better than the Fat Ika) and yeah, it casts very well at 1/2oz. FWIW, I end up using a 4/0 hook in it, but it does have enough length for a 5/0.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:22 am

I’ve gotten plenty of things but unfortunately I’m not home to give you the specifics. What I can tell you and I’ve been meaning to make a post is
A lot of the JDM unpopular stuff is better cause some of the popular stuff is good but lacks durability. Another thing is the hook is essential and I’m using a Ryugi hook and lastly you can almost make anything go backwards with a tungsten peg in the butt.

I"ve been looking at the bomb slide by Gan Craft but I have not pulled the trigger on that but what I have used and I love
the Hurry Slide Bottom up. I've been using this hook BUT I use owner CPS spring lock.
Attachments
Screenshot2022-04-241.05.03PM_1024x1024@2x.png
Screenshot2022-04-241.05.03PM_1024x1024@2x.png (54.96 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
hurryslide_m005_1024x1024@2x.jpeg
hurryslide_m005_1024x1024@2x.jpeg (40.67 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:27 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:25 pm
The Salty Core Tube is what I fish most of the time (it backslides better than the Fat Ika) and yeah, it casts very well at 1/2oz. FWIW, I end up using a 4/0 hook in it, but it does have enough length for a 5/0.
I guess either way works. Keitech recommends a 5/0 for the backslide and a 4/0 for the regular T rig.

I'm not really a soft plastic guy, and the only soft bait I normally bring (aside from swimbaits) is Fat Ika. And, it does catch fish, when they don't bite topwater. That's why I started this thread to see if there's any other options. I'm hoping the Salty Tube works as good or better than the Fat Ika.

Thanks

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:33 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:22 am
I’ve gotten plenty of things but unfortunately I’m not home to give you the specifics. What I can tell you and I’ve been meaning to make a post is
A lot of the JDM unpopular stuff is better cause some of the popular stuff is good but lacks durability. Another thing is the hook is essential and I’m using a Ryugi hook and lastly you can almost make anything go backwards with a tungsten peg in the butt.

I"ve been looking at the bomb slide by Gan Craft but I have not pulled the trigger on that but what I have used and I love
the Hurry Slide Bottom up. I've been using this hook BUT I use owner CPS spring lock.
The nail weight is a good idea. I was checking if anything from Berkley does the backslide thing. And, I found one called Boss something (?). Looks like it can be rigged backwards, and with a little weight, it should backslide.