What’s your favorite? (Trailers: jig, swim jig, chatterbait; flipping bait, and drop shot

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What’s your favorite? (Trailers: jig, swim jig, chatterbait; flipping bait, and drop shot

Post by clemsondds » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:37 pm

I’m trying to condense how I carry my soft plastics on my boat. I have to keep my boat in storage and don’t trust the security so I don’t leave anything on my boat. I’ve been carrying two large kvd bags but they have started to look a little rough and so I picked up one of those Zman bags. I am going to try to keep these particular things in this bag:
1. worms (excluding worms I use for shakeyhead): right now I have mostly zoom (ribbon, ol'monster, swim...) but also yamamoto, netbait, and others
2. Jig trailers (winter/summer…) : this is my biggest mix of rage craws, chunks, jr chunks, netbait paca, speed craws, rage bugs, yamamoto cowboy, twin tail grubs, and then several for finesse jigs...
3. Chatterbait/swim jig trailers:  rage menace, sk zcraw/jr, xzone...
4. Creature/ flipping baits  beavers :reaction innovations, rage bug, rodent, gb bandito bug, various craws...
5. drop shot baits: lots of roboworm, missile, dreamshot, zman trick...

I noticed that I have tons of each one of these. I am going to try to keep one or maybe two brands of each category and that’s it. So what’s your go to for each of those? If you could only carry one bag with a few colors of each soft plastic, which would you choose?

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What’s your favorite? (Trailers: jig, swim jig, chatterbait; flipping bait, and drop shot

Post by clemsondds » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:07 am

Really just wanting to hear what your favorite (if you could only have one):
Jig summer trailer
Jig winter trailer
Swim jig trailer
Chatterbait trailer
Flipping Bait

Thanks

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What’s your favorite? (Trailers: jig, swim jig, chatterbait; flipping bait, and drop shot

Post by goldrod » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:25 pm

For dropshots I went to one ☝🏾 lure cause it’s all I need
The flick it just works
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:36 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:25 pm
For dropshots I went to one ☝🏾 lure cause it’s all I need
The flick it just works
I'll have to give that a try! What do you use for chatterbait and swimjig trailers?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:41 am

I carry WAY too much in our little river boat, but I figure why not if it fits.
If I were to carry less and narrow down:
For dropshots I could carry only 4.5" Roboworm STs.
For creature baits at the moment, I would either pick the Baby Missile Destroyer or a regular Biffle Bug.
For chatterbaits I normally use a fluke or single tail grub. Single tail grubs are an old classic that is highly overlooked and very versatile.
For swimjigs, football jigs, and some finesse jigs I like that Paca chunks. They are fragile but always produce for me. Subtle enough to not look crazy, but still move enough to draw fish in. I also use single tail grubs for these jigs.
Worms is a hard one, because there are so many applications. A Senko would be far different than a big ribbon tail in application purposes. I would just say that is up to the angler. For me in a small, finesse river setting a package of Senkos, the previous mentioned Roboworm 4.5"s, and maybe a 7" Roboworm or 6" FAT would work for TX rigs, shaky heads, etc.

If I were really trying to narrow down tackle, I would search for good multipurpose lures. One that comes to mind is the Strike King Rage Menace. That is like the Senko of creature baits. It works for a creature (TX, Carolina, Shaky, etc.), works behind a bladed jig, works great on a swim jig, and works well on all other jig types too.

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:23 am

When I had the boat, like you, I carried so much extra stuff. 10 colors of beavers, 800 colors of 4" paddle tails, etc. Now that I'm in a kayak, I'm forced to streamline. This is what I go with.

4 rods. 2 big bait rods, 1 for beast hook swimbaits, 1 for treble hook swimbaits, 1 for jigs and trigs, 1 for moving baits(spinners, bladed jigs, etc.)

As for trailers I carry the following.
-Beavers for high vis water and beavers for low vis water
-Craw/action trailers. Same, some for high vis and some for low vis water
-Xzone 4" swammers in gill/perch colors. No shad in our lakes.
-Some sort of fluke type bait sometimes if I think I'll fish a bladed jig.
-I don't drop shot for largemouth, ever.
-Always have a bag or 2 of stick baits for when everything goes wrong and I just need to catch a fish.

All my plastics fit in one plano plastics box. It's simple and streamlined.