Keitech 4.8 jighead and underspin recommendation

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Keitech 4.8 jighead and underspin recommendation

Post by dragon1 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:16 pm

Hello TT members, I am wanting to fish more soft body swimbaits like the 5" Reaction Innovations Skinny Dipper and 4.8 Keitech Fat Impact during the colder water months in the local waters here in Middle Tennessee.

I also want to be able to fish the Keitech Fat Impact 4.8" with an underspin that has a big enough hook as well as an underspin that will clear the body. So far I like the Scottsboro Tackle Company Recon underspin.

Also, I am looking for advice as to what weight jig head I should be using? Most of the areas I'll be fishing will be 3'-8' with an occasional 10'-15'. I really like Warbaits in the 3/8-1/2 oz with the larger hooks but don't know if the 1/2 may be a little too heavy for fishing 3-8'. I also would like a 2x hook and some sort of screw lock or other type effective bait keeper.

Thanks in advance.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Keitech 4.8 jighead and underspin recommendation

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:57 pm

I went through this as well. I'm surprised so many manufacturers don't list hook size on underspins and swimbait jig heads. I just looked through everything at TW, looking for the items that listed hook size and brand of hook used. Honestly, Z Man has some relatively new jig heads that are really nice, but I'm not sure if they have any underspins.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:39 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:57 pm
I went through this as well. I'm surprised so many manufacturers don't list hook size on underspins and swimbait jig heads. I just looked through everything at TW, looking for the items that listed hook size and brand of hook used. Honestly, Z Man has some relatively new jig heads that are really nice, but I'm not sure if they have any underspins.
Kool, I appreciate the input.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:02 am

For a jighead, I have always enjoyed the Picasso Gama 2X heads. I use the 5/0 in various weights for the 4.8" SIF, but the 4/0 works too. They aren't super heavy wire but on a long cast the medium wire hook helps get a solid set on fish. There is also a Picasso Mustad 3X version, but the sizes are a bit off. I can use that 5/0 for the 5.8" SIF and the 4/0 works better for the 4.8". It is a pretty heavy wire hook though. I really like the Warbaits heads and weedless heads, overall, they make good stuff. I think the 3/0 hook would be a bit small though (for a 4.8") and have no experience with the larger sizes.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:47 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:02 am
For a jighead, I have always enjoyed the Picasso Gama 2X heads. I use the 5/0 in various weights for the 4.8" SIF, but the 4/0 works too. They aren't super heavy wire but on a long cast the medium wire hook helps get a solid set on fish. There is also a Picasso Mustad 3X version, but the sizes are a bit off. I can use that 5/0 for the 5.8" SIF and the 4/0 works better for the 4.8". It is a pretty heavy wire hook though. I really like the Warbaits heads and weedless heads, overall, they make good stuff. I think the 3/0 hook would be a bit small though (for a 4.8") and have no experience with the larger sizes.
This is all I purchase and use anymore for swimbait jig heads. They just work, and have many sixe/weight options.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:31 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:47 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:02 am
This is all I purchase and use anymore for swimbait jig heads. They just work, and have many sixe/weight options.
I wish they made the 7/0 Mustad size in 1/2 and 3/8oz weights. I would like to use those for 6.8" Keitechs but for my shallow river duty a 3/4 or 1oz is just too heavy... Again though, they are really good heads. I use the #1 and 2/0 for little stuff, they work great too.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:58 pm

Muy Excelente fellas, thanks!

I'm going to have Cadman make me some custom 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 with larger sized Gamakatsu 4/0 and 5/0 hooks. The heads he uses also feature dual bait keepers up top and the bottom "chin" area is elongated a bit towards the belly.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:48 am

Well looks like these custom swimjig heads won't work. Thus far it seems the Matt Allen Dirty Jigs swimjig heads will fit best.