Tokyo rig question...

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Tokyo rig question...

Post by Randingo » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:29 am

I've spent a little time with the Tokyo rig, mostly in local ponds where the bottom is muck, and it shines there because the bait is slightly elevated. But I'm curious about one specific aspect of the rig: why the swivel at the line tie? I understand that it's kind of a hardwired dropshot, and dropshots can spin and cause line twist, but I haven't really noticed the Tokyo rig spinning, even when I'm reeling it back quickly, and I dislike extra hardware. The Jika rig, for instance, doesn't use a swivel, and I've stopped using the swiveling dropshot hooks because I seem to get more bites and a higher hookup percentage with plain hooks. I know that I could simply snip off the swivel and tie to the ring, but I was wondering if any of you feel like it's necessary.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Tokyo rig question...

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:54 am

Randingo wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:29 am
I've spent a little time with the Tokyo rig, mostly in local ponds where the bottom is muck, and it shines there because the bait is slightly elevated. But I'm curious about one specific aspect of the rig: why the swivel at the line tie? I understand that it's kind of a hardwired dropshot, and dropshots can spin and cause line twist, but I haven't really noticed the Tokyo rig spinning, even when I'm reeling it back quickly, and I dislike extra hardware. The Jika rig, for instance, doesn't use a swivel, and I've stopped using the swiveling dropshot hooks because I seem to get more bites and a higher hookup percentage with plain hooks. I know that I could simply snip off the swivel and tie to the ring, but I was wondering if any of you feel like it's necessary.
It is a really good question, I think they primarily use it because it is a convinient line connection where the other ring does not interfere with the knot. Here is one if the originals, put whatever wieght you want on the shaft at any length, cut, crimp, cast. Relativly inexpensive, a bunch of hook options and MIJ.
Cherry.jpeg
Cherry.jpeg (61.38 KiB) Viewed 2727 times

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Tokyo rig question...

Post by Randingo » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:40 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:54 am

It is a really good question, I think they primarily use it because it is a convinient line connection where the other ring does not interfere with the knot. Here is one if the originals, put whatever wieght you want on the shaft at any length, cut, crimp, cast. Relativly inexpensive, a bunch of hook options and MIJ.
Cherry.jpeg
Thanks for your thoughts and the link. It seemed like there had to be a less involved way of doing it. I was thinking of trying to make a couple of my own, but I thought I'd need to buy hooks with the attached solid ring, but maybe not. In the meantime, I think I'll try some of those MIJ offerings.